Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
sorry I missed the lens war, but you may consider the G7 or a lumix SLR-like model, as they're closer to an XTi, but have all the glass you need built in and will not hit so hard on your pocket.

EDIT: this thread just made me think of an interesting question. when using a "35mm" lens on an APS-C DSLR, is the image in the viewfinder what is being taken by the sensor, or does the viewfinder show more than the final taken photo? hope I phrased that well...
You basically see what you get. Only the Canon 1D series actually show 100% of the image through the view finder I believe, others show a few percent less. Why that is is unclear to me (must be expensive to make it that precise) but basically in every DSLR you see through the view finder what will be on the photo, no matter what kind of lens you mount on it.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
You basically see what you get. Only the Canon 1D series actually show 100% of the image through the view finder I believe, others show a few percent less. Why that is is unclear to me (must be expensive to make it that precise) but basically in every DSLR you see through the view finder what will be on the photo, no matter what kind of lens you mount on it.

Well i was shooting some wide angle city shots last night with my 400D and i was trying to avoid some bright lights on the bottom of the shot. And although they were not visible in the viewfinder, when i imported my photos on the computer the lights were there and the glare ruined the pictures, so it must be true that you see a bit less through the viewfinder.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I am going to buy my first D-SLR camera in the next few days. I want the ability as I learn to upgrade the lenses and be able to zoom in at sports as opposed to looking like my pic was from way up above.

My question is since this thread seems to be about the Rebel XTI. Money is not an issue, but some reviews I read say the XTI is not the great up an upgrade over the XT and some say it is a nice upgrade. Does anybody have any input between the 2 models. I know it is 2 megapixels stronger and has the larger LCD. Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.