Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
For home use, I would first look at a malware blocking, tracker blocking, ad blocking product. For that, I like AdGuard for Mac. Along with macOS's inbuilt security, that covers most privacy, tracking and malware issues. A consumer VPN is then a secondary option which may add something to your privacy - but remember that macOS also has options to hide your IP address from web sites.

I have Malwarebytes on my Macs and they offer VPN cover.
Any thoughts??
I am sure that Malwarebytes VPN is a good product. You would have to try it out for speed and ease of use. I use PIA which is cheaper (for more than one device) and has features (e.g. split-tunnel) not on Malwarebytes VPN.

Last edited:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Do you recommend using a VPN on Mac?

I agree that you probably don't need a VPN and shouldn't bother with one, but it depends on what you want out of it. If you want anonymity, it can help. Some things can be learned about you by websites when they have knowledge of your IP address, which a VPN would hide.

Apples Private Relay does offer some protection against that, but I believe it only provides that protection when using Safari or Apple Mail. You might be using a different browser and Private Relay wouldn't help in that case. Also, many other applications and processes are accessing the internet and exposing your IP address.

But, keeping a VPN up full time to get anonymity comes with some sacrifices. It's not worth it for me, but it's hard to make that judgement for you. Definitely use it if you're a spy. :)

SunMoonStars

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2022
For home use, I would first look at a malware blocking, tracker blocking, ad blocking product. For that, I like AdGuard for Mac. Along with macOS's inbuilt security, that covers most privacy, tracking and malware issues. A consumer VPN is then a secondary option which may add something to your privacy - but remember that macOS also has options to hide your IP address from web sites.

I am sure that Malwarebytes VPN is a good product. You would have to try it out for speed and ease of use. I use PIA which is cheaper (for more than one device) and has features (e.g. split-tunnel) not on Malwarebytes VPN.
I also use PIA. I transfer files all over the country so I need the extra layer. It has cut down on the majority of ads and pop ups on sites. The sites may be slower but I'll take over being bombarded every day. Most of my business is through email so I use SpamSieve with apple mail. Between the two I am not harassed non stop.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Some updates from my favorite VPN – Windscribe
“Complete source code of the official Windscribe iOS application” https://github.com/Windscribe/iOS-App
PCMag Review https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/windscribe-vpn
Audit conducted by Packetlabs https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EgNETLVm2oZdGJXZJmFSCDc7Ib72LIOw/view
Windscribe Pro for $29/year https://windscribe.com/upgrade

May I ask what you like about it exactly? I had proton but switched to Mullvad. I try to support as much competition as I can. I wonder if the grass is greener on Windscribe side.

I also use PIA. I transfer files all over the country so I need the extra layer. It has cut down on the majority of ads and pop ups on sites. The sites may be slower but I'll take over being bombarded every day. Most of my business is through email so I use SpamSieve with apple mail. Between the two I am not harassed non stop.

If you just want to cut out ads you have better option than VPN. You can install piHole or subscribe to adblocking DNS service like NextDNS and ControlD (owned by Windscribe VPN guys).

If you do not need to do special adblocking customisation rules, they even offer it for free. Just change the DNS address on your device or home router to:-

ControlD servers

or

Adguard servers

You can also use Safari with Wipr adblocker, Firefox with uBlockOrigin , or Brave browser that has adblock built in.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
If you just want to cut out ads you have better option than VPN. You can install piHole or subscribe to adblocking DNS service like NextDNS and ControlD (owned by Windscribe VPN guys).

A VPN can do more than just DNS blocking. Well-known bad IP addresses can also be blocked. I suppose a sophisticated VPN could even do packet inspection. My OPNsense router does that and notifies we when it detects something amiss.

Reactions: Induction

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
May I ask what you like about it exactly? I had proton but switched to Mullvad. I try to support as much competition as I can. I wonder if the grass is greener on Windscribe side.
The very good speeds and configuration files (OpenVPN, WireGuard) that I can personalize.

If you register with an e-mail address, the free account offers 10GB VPN traffic per month
https://windscribe.com/knowledge-base/articles/can-i-use-windscribe-for-free/
but has a limited number of servers and doesn’t provide configuration files, just access through their apps.

8px

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2024
If your connection exceeds 500 speeds consider:

Mullvad
AirVPN
AzireVPN

If your connection is under 80 speeds you are already accustomed to suffering.

Sweeping generalizations: the lower cost vpns are likely to have addresses blacklisted more often which means more fun catpcha solving for you! And you run the risk of overloaded servers being ignored from capacity upgrades.

Pick a provider offering "wireguard" for increased throughput. Pick a provider offering OpenVPN atop SSL (or atop SSH) for deep privacy needs.

OpenVPN need not slow you down as much as you fear but if your device is weakness itself it will be far slower than wireguard. The other vpn flavors are less prevelent like SoftEther. WindScribe likes older flavors in the name of speed.

Since you didn't say what your usecase was (hiding from three letter agencies, preventing your ISP from monetizing your history *cough* verizon CE *cough*, not leaving your home IP address in blog comments or forum posts, shady acquisition of entertaining media) it's hard to be more specific.

Spin up your own cloud VPS and have this free app setup your own "private" VPN:

AmneziaVPN

Combine VPN with your own DNS for control (vs "leaking" joys) or pick one that gives you absolute DNS control.

NextDNS:

Control-D is a chore.

AdGuard Home is a decent option.

I run a hardware client for VPN 'forcing' all traffic from my devices into the VPN.

Budget option that does not entirely s*ck: TorGuard, not to be confused with the CIA's TOR network. Don't signup without a coupon.

StackSocial type sites occasionally run bargains for lifetime deals. YGWYPF. I am three years into a lifetime "FastestVPN" which experience reveals to be an ironic name.

I have tried and left dozens others. Avoid installing a proprietary client that isn't also Open Source.

Does it matter to you that the VPN company falls under the control of the Communist Party in China? Or Taiwan? Or do you care about 5 and 14 eyes?

How many devices will you protect? How many will you run on the VPN simultaneously?

Have you found a review site that isn't an affiliate shill? Don't signup directly from a review. Restart the browser. Open an incognito window. Type in the domain directly. Be sure they get no benefit from their nefarious ways.

Will you apply any activity partitioning? Will you remain logged into popular services then connect to the vpn expanding their tracking on you?

Have you considered further isolating your traffic in a virtual machine with a secondary VPN provider?

Reactions: Induction

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
The very good speeds and configuration files (OpenVPN, WireGuard) that I can personalize.

If you register with an e-mail address, the free account offers 10GB VPN traffic per month
https://windscribe.com/knowledge-base/articles/can-i-use-windscribe-for-free/
but has a limited number of servers and doesn’t provide configuration files, just access through their apps.

I did test them out before but found proton, windscribe, and mullvad was all pretty similar service wise and had to go with one. I chose mullvad because I like the minimalistic app.

i have to say windscribe seemed faster

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Alot of bad information in here.

Windscribe is a terrible VPN with tens of thousands of freeloaders and tons of ip reputation issues and a horrific history. I highly recommend you investigate the CEOs history and the companies behavior before supporting them; they are hardly trustworthy; way overpriced @ 39/yr and completely unprofessional.

People here have 3 options having tested well over 30+ VPNs since 2020, here are my recommendations.

1) $$$ - ProtonVPN if you have the money is always recommended; wait for black friday. Great speeds (760mbps+)

2) $ - AdguardVPN (4 years) for $35 is way better value over windscribe, it also gives you adguard DNS (superior to nextdns) for free to tie into your home network; use stacked social for the deal. (Speeds 700mbps+)

3) 0$ - Cloudflare Warp 1.1.1.1 appears to function as a VPN without a killswitch for users who dont need to change location its also free, but test and be careful when torrenting.

Besides these, look at nothing else - low price, high price or no price; all other options such as NORDVPN, only get if you get a full 100% cashback offer, otherwise pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Alot of bad information in here.

Windscribe is a terrible VPN with tens of thousands of freeloaders and tons of ip reputation issues and a horrific history. I highly recommend you investigate the CEOs history and the companies behavior before supporting them; they are hardly trustworthy; way overpriced @ 39/yr and completely unprofessional.

People here have 3 options having tested well over 30+ VPNs since 2020, here are my recommendations.

1) $$$ - ProtonVPN if you have the money is always recommended; wait for black friday. Great speeds (760mbps+)

2) $ - AdguardVPN (4 years) for $35 is way better value over windscribe, it also gives you adguard DNS (superior to nextdns) for free to tie into your home network; use stacked social for the deal. (Speeds 700mbps+)

3) 0$ - Cloudflare Warp 1.1.1.1 appears to function as a VPN without a killswitch for users who dont need to change location its also free, but test and be careful when torrenting.

Besides these, look at nothing else - low price, high price or no price; all other options such as NORDVPN, only get if you get a full 100% cashback offer, otherwise pass.

whats wrong with Mullvad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.