Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Thanks, so I take it the D50 has the motor in the body, is that correct?

Edit: Someone's just suggested I look at a Canon G9. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Yes the D50 has a motor in the body. It can also use lenses that have their own motor.

I think there's a lot of hype about the G9. The G9 has a lot more megapixels than your camera with a similarly sized sensor, so the photosites are smaller.

The G9 should have better processing, so which JPEGs would finally look nicer is hard to tell, but if you shoot RAW I would expect the Fuji to do better.

One thing: nobody has sent a profile for the S6500fd to Noise Ninja, so you would have to build it yourself. Neat Image already has a profile.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The S6500fd and the G9 have a 1/1.7" sensor. You can check out below at the bottom how it compares to the APS-C of most DSLRs:

http://6mpixel.org/en/

[1/1.7" is not there, but 1/1.8" is just an itsy bitsy tad smaller]

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
gazfocus:

Before switching to another camera, you may want to learn as much as you can about your camera. The owner's manual is not the best source of information, but some of the camera-specific digital photography guides sold locally, or online. So, if you have a Fujifilm S6500fd camera, buy a "S6500fd" digital photography guide. If you look at Amazon, B&H, etc., you will notice that there are reviews pertaining to the books that have been written for your camera.

This camera is also called S6000fd in other countries.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
However, the images I'm trying to achieve are of live gigs at church where the lighting is particularly low (all pictures at present have had to be taken with the flash on, which makes them look like they've been taken mid-afternoon with the sun blazing :rolleyes:)

Again, thanks for your help :)

Learning to use flash well is one of the most valuable skills you can get for indoor event photography. A couple of external flashes are cheaper than a new camera. If your current camera either has a hot shoe, or has adjustable flash power then I'd suggest spending time rather than lots of money. A couple of strategically plased flash units will do wonders for almost any venue that allows them.

You may want to spend serious time on strobist.blogspot.com.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
May end up looking for a D50 as you suggested though

Look for a camera with all the accessories.

Try to find out the number of shutter actuations before you buy it. Nikon did not give an official number, but the estimate around the web is about 50K (could die before, could last longer).

Nikon writes the number of actuations in the EXIF of the pictures, so if you're buying it from a shop, take an SD card, reader, and MBP with you (easier than asking for a card and the USB cable from them).

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Thanks to everyone for their advice (especially cube who has offered loads of help and advice).

compuwar: unfortunately my camera doesn't have a hotshoe

cube said:
Look for a camera with all the accessories.

Try to find out the number of shutter actuations before you buy it. Nikon did not give an official number, but the estimate around the web is about 50K (could die before, could last longer).

Nikon writes the number of actuations in the EXIF of the pictures, so if you're buying it from a shop, take an SD card, reader, and MBP with you (easier than asking for a card and the USB cable from them).
So does that mean after a certain amount of time, the camera will no longer function? (sorry for my ignorance)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So does that mean after a certain amount of time, the camera will no longer function? (sorry for my ignorance)

This happens to all SLRs. Professionals last longer. There are some places that would replace the shutter for $$$.

I think there are some DSLRs rated as low as 30K. I wouldn't worry if I got a used one which has shot 10K, but I'm not a professional taking pictures the whole day.

You can estimate how many pictures you would take in a year to have an idea how long it would last you (if nothing else breaks).

If you buy from a shop normally you should get several weeks warranty, but after that you're on your own. Normally it's not worth it to pay Nikon to repair your camera (at least for the cheap ones).

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
This happens to all SLRs. Professionals last longer. There are some places that would replace the shutter for $$$.

I think there are some DSLRs rated as low as 30K. I wouldn't worry if I got a used one which has shot 10K, but I'm not a professional taking pictures the whole day.

You can estimate how many pictures you would take in a year to have an idea how long it would last you (if nothing else breaks).

If you buy from a shop normally you should get several weeks warranty, but after that you're on your own. Normally it's not worth it to pay Nikon to repair your camera (at least for the cheap ones).

Thanks, I'm actually looking at the D50 on eBay and there's no real way of knowing what the number of shutter actuations is (as the sellers don't seem to advertise this information).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks to everyone for their advice (especially cube who has offered loads of help and advice).

compuwar: unfortunately my camera doesn't have a hotshoe

If your flash power is adjustable, and the camera has a manual mode, then that's all you really need to start. Also, if you're the only one taking flash pictures, you can still go with optical triggering of external units.

Photography is about light, learning to light well means good pictures. Control of the lighting means good pictures...

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
If your flash power is adjustable....

Thanks again for your advice. As I said in my original post, I don't know alot about cameras and don't know if my flash power is adjustable (although I doubt it is. It just has the option to turn the flash off.)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Thanks, I'm actually looking at the D50 on eBay and there's no real way of knowing what the number of shutter actuations is (as the sellers don't seem to advertise this information).

You could always inform them how to find out this information and ask them to tell you what the value is.

Anyway, I prefer to pay a little bit more and get used photography stuff from a local shop. Although the D50 is hard to find. They have many D70's.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
You could always inform them how to find out this information and ask them to tell you what the value is.

Anyway, I prefer to pay a little bit more and get used photography stuff from a local shop. Although the D50 is hard to find. They have many D70's.

I've sent the info to the 2 particular ones I'm watching. Unfortunately the only photography shop we have locally do not sell 2nd hand cameras so eBay would be my only option for a 2nd hand one.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
One thing: you might want to trade a bit of the low light performance of the D50 for the lighted control LCD of the D70 (the one in the D50 does not have a light).

The D70 can die with BGLOD. Nikon would fix this for free (at least in some countries, and probably only if the camera is not grey import. You have to find out the status in the UK).

The D70s does not have the BGLOD problem, and it has a slighly larger review LCD, like the D50.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
One thing: you might want to trade a bit of the low light performance of the D50 for the lighted control LCD of the D70 (the one in the D50 does not have a light).

The D70 can die with BGLOD. Nikon would fix this for free (at least in some countries, and probably only if the camera is not grey import. You have to find out the status in the UK).

The D70s does not have the BGLOD problem, and it has a slighly larger review LCD, like the D50.

Sorry, what's BGLOD? :confused:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It was easy to google BGLOD. It's the Blinking Green Light Of Death. Check it out.

Just one note, don't confuse control LCD with review LCD. These 3 cameras have 2 LCDs.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There's also an inexpensive 50mm f1.4 autofocus prime from Pentax, so I think it would be worth considering the K100D or K100D Super, as this would give you in-body stabilization.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK100D/page22.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40/page23.asp

But it has less shadow range right out the camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40/page18.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK100D/page15.asp
http://www.digitalreview.ca/Content/Nikon-D40-versus-D50-versus-Pentax-K110D-K100D.shtml (K110D is just the K100D w/o IS)

Naim135

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
Go to the Pro's

Ok, so I'm an amateur when it comes to photography and cameras.

I bought a Fujifilm S6500fd last year because 'it looked cool', but really have no idea how to get good quality photo's from it.

I'm basically looking for a HIGH QUALITY camera (be it compact, or long zoom, not too fussed), although would prefer a compact camera.

I want something that will take high quality shots both with and without the flash on (my camera tends to blur enverything when the flash is supressed). I'd also like to be able to take photo's of moving objects (such as people dancing, etc).

I know it's a long shot, but really looking for some help here :)

I don't REALLY have a budget I need to stick to (basically, if I can afford a suggested camera, I'd buy it), but don't want ridiculously expensive ones :)

Thanks in advance

Hi I too am loking for a new camera, I am going to buy a Nikon D300 and collect the Pro lenses mentioned previously. My main issue was where to but from and after looking at shops in both Bolton and St Helens I had a look at Calumet photo in Manchester to get a yellow cartridge for my HP B9180 printer I mentioned I am lookig for a new camera and then spent a very informative 30 or so minutes discussing the D300.

Calumet have branches in both Liverpool and Manchester

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Second that!!!

gazfocus:

Before switching to another camera, you may want to learn as much as you can about your camera. The owner's manual is not the best source of information, but some of the camera-specific digital photography guides sold locally, or online. So, if you have a Fujifilm S6500fd camera, buy a "S6500fd" digital photography guide. If you look at Amazon, B&H, etc., you will notice that there are reviews pertaining to the books that have been written for your camera.

I second AlaskaMoose's opinion.

Based on what you write and ask about, I think your main problem is not the camera you have, but the knowledge of how to take good photos in DIFFERENT (light, distance from the subject, speed, position, etc.) situations (Altough they all seem pretty similar, they are not).

Instead of investing in another camera, why don't you invest in a book of how to take the most advantage out of your camera. Then, once you've surpassed your camera and dominate every function it has, once you feel it does not what you want it to do, then invest in another camera.

I once was in your situation (and I'm not far away from it now), and reading about photography, and asking to the people knowledgeable about it helped me to take better photos than before with the same camera.

Just my 2 cents.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I'm been tempted by a Nikon D40 on ebay with 2 lenses at a very good price.

Following cube's recommendations, I've asked the seller for details of the shutter actuations. The seller has sent me a photo taken by the camera, and it has the exif data intact but I can't find where it mentions the shutter actuations. Can someone help? Thanks

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Maybe that D40 bundle is a good deal as general purpose gear, but I imagine the lenses could turn out to be too slow.

Then you would have to plunk for something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-30mm-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U0H06/
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0018ZDGAW/

Or maybe more range but slower could manage to get an acceptable result:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm-Macro-Lens-Nikon/dp/B000UC5YSQ/

Compare this with what you would need to spend for a D50 or D70s:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/
(the 1.4 is a bit expensive and not obvious to be worth it)

Or Pentax K100D or K100D Super:
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-FA-50mm-1-4-Lens/dp/B00005ABC5/

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
http://regex.info/exif.cgi/

I assume it's a recent picture.

Thanks cube. That camera had taken 1780 pics but unfortunately I got outbid :( but am negotiating with a local seller. Is this a good deal?

Nikon D50 with 18-55mm lens and Sigma 70-210mm d lense and shade with a 1GB SD card (all boxed) for £250.

Thanks
I will then need a Nikon 50mm 1.4 for my low light stuff.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Check out fredmiranda.com before deciding that it's worth to spend the extra money for the 1.4 instead of just getting the 1.8.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Thanks cube. That camera had taken 1780 pics but unfortunately I got outbid :( but am negotiating with a local seller. Is this a good deal?

Nikon D50 with 18-55mm lens and Sigma 70-210mm d lense and shade with a 1GB SD card (all boxed) for £250.

You should always quote the f number of a lens for such a question. As it happens, there are both consumer and pro Sigma lenses with that same range.

Once you have that information, you can do advanced search in ebay.co.uk for only the completed items to see the going price there.

The resale value of third party lenses drops like a rock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.