Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
You should always quote the f number of a lens for such a question. As it happens, there are both consumer and pro Sigma lenses with that same range.

Once you have that information, you can do advanced search in ebay.co.uk for only the completed items to see the going price there.

The resale value of third party lenses drops like a rock.

Thanks. I will ask the f number for the Sigma but I'm assuming the Nikon lense is the standard kit lens. Is it still a good price though? Thanks

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't know the market value of everything in every country. I would have to do the same as you and search the UK used sites.

Someone posted a very interesting such site some time ago (not auction),
but I didn't bookmark it. It was kind of weird because it didn't look 100% commercial (I don't remember if it was an .org site or what).

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I don't know the market value of everything in every country. I would have to do the same as you and search the UK used sites.

Someone posted a very interesting such site some time ago (not auction),
but I didn't bookmark it. It was kind of weird because it didn't look 100% commercial (I don't remember if it was an .org site or what).

Ok, thanks for your help :) will have a look

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Can someone advise me, does the D50 have any image stabilising features? Thanks

Only in the VR lenses, which the 50mm f1.4 and 1.8 are not.

That's why I said looking at the Pentax K100D or K100D Super would be interesting. The in-body stabilization works for any lens (they don't have IS lenses). Better to pay a bit more for the Super because of the added features.

Canon is like Nikon.

Jan 30, 2006
Only in the VR lenses, which the 50mm f1.4 and 1.8 are not.

That's why I said looking at the Pentax K100D or K100D Super would be interesting. The in-body stabilization works for any lens (they don't have IS lenses). Better to pay a bit more for the Super because of the added features.

Canon is like Nikon.

I guess you must have heard this many times, but remember that when you buy a camera what you are really buying is a system. The body you'll change rather quickly, what matters are the lenses.

Now, in my personal opinion, the lenses choice from Nikon is one of the best (if not the best) out there. Most lenses from Nikon are getting VR, and for the time being, VR in a 50mm lens isn't that helpful, it just adds cost and bulk.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
We'll, yes, if you buy anything better than a K110D, not only are you adding IS with all your lenses, but you're cutting the cost and bulk of VR in all of them.

So it's a question of seeing if the current offer of Pentax and compatible third party lenses are enough for you for the foreseeable future (including used lens availability).

And you need at least a D200 to optimally use old manual focus lenses, while I think that with Pentax you don't have such limitations. There are many inexpensive pro lenses of this kind in the used market.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
VR in a 50mm lens isn't that helpful, it just adds cost and bulk.

I don't think there is any such thing as a 50mm lens with VR, IS, etc. The only way to get stabilization on normal and wide primes is to get a stabilized body.

I do think it's helpful, though, especially in low-light situations. My husband and I recently went to a big sculpture museum and took over two thousand shots there. I was using my Canon kit IS lens and my beloved "nifty fifty", and he was using his Pentax K100D with a couple of different primes. His shots were tack sharp about 95% of the time, whereas maybe 20% of mine suffered from camera shake. I think the winning combo for him was the combination of a fast prime with body stabilization. Even though my kit lens is stabilized, it's still a slow zoom lens; and my fast prime has no stabilization at all.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
And you need at least a D200 to optimally use old manual focus lenses, while I think that with Pentax you don't have such limitations. There are many inexpensive pro lenses of this kind in the used market.

You are correct; there are no limitations with Pentax. Any K-mount lens will work on any new Pentax DSLR. So that's any lens made since 1975!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You are correct; there are no limitations with Pentax. Any K-mount lens will work on any new Pentax DSLR. So that's any lens made since 1975!

It's not just "it will work". Nikon AI lenses can be used with digital bodies lower than D200, but one cannot meter.

Do you mean all those old lenses can be used in A mode with a modern Pentax DSLR?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Hey and thanks for all the guidance guys.

I took cube's initial recommendation and went for a Nikon D50 and have taken my first couple of pics and love it already.

Thanks again guys...just looking for a fast and wide lens now :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
All the Nikon DSLRs except the D3 have a crop factor of 1.5

A 50mm lens is not wide, it's standard on full frame, and it's a little tele on crop (75mm)

For a standard focal on your camera you can get close enough with a 30 or 35mm lens.

That was fast. Where did you get it?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
All the Nikon DSLRs except the D3 have a crop factor of 1.5

A 50mm lens is not wide, it's standard on full frame, and it's a little tele on crop (75mm)

For a standard focal on your camera you can get close enough with a 30 or 35mm lens.

That was fast. Where did you get it?

Yeah, the guy I bought it off said I'd need a 30mm or there abouts.

Bought it off ebay (the one I asked you about with the 2 lenses) as the seller was only about 10 miles away so went to collect it this afternoon and it's fantastic :) I really appreciate all the help you've given and making the suggestion of a D50 :).

I'll post some pics when I've got use to it

By the way, the Sigma lense (that didn't have the F numbers) is a 1:4-5.6 so it's only a cheap one but the camera has done a total of 5400 +/- a few shots so I think I got a good deal :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It's not just "it will work". Nikon AI lenses can be used with digital bodies lower than D200, but one cannot meter.

Do you mean all those old lenses can be used in A mode with a modern Pentax DSLR?

This chart details the compatibility of all Pentax K-Mount lenses. The oldest of them (the K and M series) require one extra button press (AE lock button) to meter; you don't have to set the shutter speed manually. So any modern Pentax DSLR can meter with any K-Mount lens.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
That is one of the best cameras below a DSLR for low light.

Did you set the camera to 'auto ISO', or manually to ISO 800 when in low light?

I didn't have time to read through all the posts, but I agree with CUBE. Hang onto the S6000. Its an amazing camera and is on part with many entry level DLSRs -- the lens is quite fast and the larger sensor is great up to 800ISO.

If you need a smaller version, get a F40 (also sold as the F45 at Ritz). Its VERY similar in noise (or lack of). You give up most of the manual controls, but gain the ability to pocket it! It will blow away any current P&S over 400ISO and is easy to find under $200!

ed2008

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Very helpful information. I've had many cameras in my life, but with lack of experience taking a good pictures...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.