Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
So are you guys saying it is better NOT to use a keyboard cover?
I have been wondering about the same after using 2 keyboard covers... It's no longer a pleasant experience... But I was still using a cover so that hopefully it may add a few years to the life of the machine...
[doublepost=1517222678][/doublepost]Have you guys read this: https://theoutline.com/post/2402/the-new-macbook-keyboard-is-ruining-my-life?zd=1
We can't say anything for sure, as no one can really claim to have understood what causes the keyboard reliability issue. Dirt? Heat? Both? We can only speculate...

Personally, for the reasons I explained above, I'm not inclined to think that a cover would solve the issue, and I chose not to intentionally degrade for sure my user experience on the off chance that it might prevent an inherent design flaw from causing problems.

Ahmahzahn

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
Hey, I just came to look for a thread like this. My b key was sticking (2017 15" rMBP touchbar) and I figured it had some sort of debris trapped under it (finger nail seemed to be a common cause in my MacBook Air). I took it in and they said that they would need to replace the top portion as mentioned. Anecdotally, I have bbeen (see, there it goes) converting video files day and night for about a week now, which seem that it may have lead to warping as mentioned previously. I'll report back about whether the fix is long lasting or not. I'm unsure whether or not I'll continue the file conversion...

I got my keyboard unit replaced by apple (just a three day turnaround, which is nice) and picked it up last sunday. Started high intensity work (CPU 800%) on Monday and my b key is acting up again already. 2017 15 rMBP. So 0/2 on the 2017 units so far.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
I got my keyboard unit replaced by apple (just a three day turnaround, which is nice) and picked it up last sunday. Started high intensity work (CPU 800%) on Monday and my b key is acting up again already. 2017 15 rMBP. So 0/2 on the 2017 units so far.

I'm definitely of the camp that thinks heat is the culprit behind these keyboard failures...so this is very interesting to me. Definitely keep us posted on keyboard 3... Also when you go back to the Apple store, see if you can get any of the employees to tell you how many keyboards or computers they have replaced out of the display models. That would be some really interesting info if anyone is actually willing to give it up. The other day I asked the guys at Best Buy and he said their display models have been fine...Those seem to run pretty hot as they're on and playing that display video 24/7

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I don't think the Best Buy display units are getting the same use as one owned by an actual user. They're likely not getting as hot as say someone bouncing video files, playing video games etc. However, they will get more abuse from kids' dirty fingers and the like. Secondly, you can't trust what the salespeople say as they might be trying to make a sale or being politically correct.

I'd be curious if you can get an Apple employee to admit the keyboard design flaws. The store near my house played complete dumb by shyly saying "I havent heard about any keyboard problems". Upon retrospect, I should have grabbed one of the 2017 15" MBPs and went to Macrumors and started reading all the keyboard failure posts out loud. At the time there was a couple looking to buy the 2017 too. It would have been beautiful.

Someone should do this, and get a third party person record it with their iphone - capture the Apple store employee completely denying there are any issues.. put it on Youtube, let it go viral, send it to Tim. :)

I'm definitely of the camp that thinks heat is the culprit behind these keyboard failures...so this is very interesting to me. Definitely keep us posted on keyboard 3... Also when you go back to the Apple store, see if you can get any of the employees to tell you how many keyboards or computers they have replaced out of the display models. That would be some really interesting info if anyone is actually willing to give it up. The other day I asked the guys at Best Buy and he said their display models have been fine...Those seem to run pretty hot as they're on and playing that display video 24/7

macs4nw

macrumors 601
After a year of working great, my MacBook Pro 15" from 2016 started having issues with the space key (double typing). So I had it serviced and got a brand new keyboard, the same as the ones on 2017 models (it came with a new battery too, yey! :))

Anyway, this new keyboard is good, very uniform and feels solid, also working perfectly, but - of course - I'm worried that it may develop issues again. I've never used any keyboard dust covers, but I found a cheap one on Amazon (that also ships to my country).

So, does anyone have any experience with these? Do you think it may actually help prolong the functionality of the keyboard by preventing dust from entering the keys? Do covers like this make the keyboard feel bad while typing (note that I actually love the feel of the new keyboard, it's just the reliability I have issues with)

Btw, this is the cover on Amazon.

Thanks for any advice!
I can't vouch for this, but I've been told by a genius that covering laptop KBs is a bad idea as the cover impedes the flow of ventilation around the keys, so this could lead to louder fan noise, and/or various premature component failures (including the fans of course), due to elevated interior temps.

Desktop KBs however don't have these problems obviously, and I've got mine covered with Saran Wrap, just in case of an odd spill on my desk. It fits like a glove (don't stretch it too tight or you're permanently activating the keys at the perimeter), is ultra-sheer, looks spiffy, is a helluvalot cheaper than those custom fitted opaque silicone covers you could pick up, and depending on the length of once's nails, they last months. I change mine about once a year.

Reactions: aevan

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I don' know about 2016 and 2017 models but I always use keyboard cover on my 2010 MBP 17", 2012 15" rMBP and 2014 15" rMBP. No problem with the cover trapping the head and causing damages to the keys.

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
Heat may be involved from my personal experience it's dust. I had my original pro in my possession for less than six hours before my keyboard's space key stuck due to a very dirty and dusty dog, back from a long walk, contaminating the area. I tried the compressed air thing multiple times but to no avail - back to Apple it went.

Since then I've babied the replacement. I've a case on it, a screen protector (seems to be the only thing that stops the gradual delamination problems I've experienced on the retina screens) and only use it in environments with little dust. TBH I think this will be my last Apple laptop:(

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Heat may be involved from my personal experience it's dust. I had my original pro in my possession for less than six hours before my keyboard's space key stuck due to a very dirty and dusty dog, back from a long walk, contaminating the area. I tried the compressed air thing multiple times but to no avail - back to Apple it went.

Since then I've babied the replacement. I've a case on it, a screen protector (seems to be the only thing that stops the gradual delamination problems I've experienced on the retina screens) and only use it in environments with little dust. TBH I think this will be my last Apple laptop:(

Sounds like too much work for me. It's is a tool. If it cannot work in my environment, I would get a new tool, not change my environment.

hagakos

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
Sounds like too much work for me. It's is a tool. If it cannot work in my environment, I would get a new tool, not change my environment.

Well said. I have a 2017 13" MBP and after 6 months of moderate use the left shift key started behaving poorly.
Sent it to an "authorised" repair centre (no Apple store in my country...) and they fixed the key with what they said was essentially a wedge under the key...
I've since purchased a cover - fits like a glove and typing experience is pretty much the same, so I would not be that concerned about that.
Can't say if it causes any issues however, as I've had it for 3 months or so and haven't had any issues so far - no yellowing as well, but I would assume all clear covers would turn yellow eventually.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Ok, so, after reading your helpful posts, I don't think I'll be getting one. Hope I can just keep my keyboard clean and that it stands the test of time better than the previous one :)
How about a new MBP? I heard that the 2018 version MBP has the Gen 3rd keyboard and fixes the dust issue.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If heat were really the issue, the keys near the top row would be first to be affected. That’s where the heat pipe and heat sinks are located.

Given that Apple designed what is effectively a silicone skin underneath the 2018 keys, it’s pretty clear heat has nothing to do with the failures.

Reactions: Sebastian79

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I do not think that dust or debris was the problem with my 2017 MBPro 15. It was brand new when I started having problems. Mine seemed more heat related as the keyboard was OK when first starting the day but it seemed like when it warmed up, especially when taxing the CPU, the keyboard would start doubling key presses or not registering them at all. I might be crazy but seemed like the sound, a screeching sound when a key was pressed, became more pronounced with higher temps.

My 2018 has not exhibited any of this behavior.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I do not think that dust or debris was the problem with my 2017 MBPro 15. It was brand new when I started having problems. Mine seemed more heat related as the keyboard was OK when first starting the day but it seemed like when it warmed up, especially when taxing the CPU, the keyboard would start doubling key presses or not registering them at all. I might be crazy but seemed like the sound, a screeching sound when a key was pressed, became more pronounced with higher temps.

My 2018 has not exhibited any of this behavior.
Didn’t they mention something about manufacturing partners sourcing key switches made from sub standard metal? Might be that those were (partially) the culprit and deformed when the computers got hot. Would explain why heat seemed to make it worse and the cooler running MacBooks seem to have been less affected?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Didn’t they mention something about manufacturing partners sourcing key switches made from sub standard metal? Might be that those were (partially) the culprit and deformed when the computers got hot. Would explain why heat seemed to make it worse and the cooler running MacBooks seem to have been less affected?

I guess it is possible. I am pretty sure that the keyboard got worst the longer you used it in the day.

Reactions: Falhófnir

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Forget about heat - cold makes the keys stick as well.

For anyone saying how much their newly replaced keyboard feeela different than their old one - no kidding, your old keyboard was a worn out keyboard!

I had a brand new 2018 side by side with a freshly replaced 2016 and there is no comparison. The 18 has a noticeably different feel and is quieter. How long will my 16 last? I hope a long time but I don’t expect it to. I’ll probably sell it in 2020 just before the service program ends (4 years from purchase date)

IMO they will be ticking time bombs after that!

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I had a keyboard cover on for about 3 weeks. It made the keys difficult to type on, left residue on the screen from when I closed it, and got lint and dust trapped under it consistently. I ended up taking it off and just running it bare.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I don't believe it will increase keyboard durability. The mechanism failing isn't to do with dust - if dust was the issue in your case, they would have just got rid of the dust (there are people who have confirmed that they plucked out keys to take out dust or debris which got stuck). The fact they did a keyboard replacement usually indicates that the mechanism failed (or they did the wrong type of repair for you).

There are also people who have religiously used keyboard covers in the hope to mitigate the issue only to then have an issue anyway.

I would just use the keyboard as normal and hope it doesn't break.

Reactions: W1cH099
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.