Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I would personally stick with the kit lens for a while until you know you need other wise. The only legit upgrade for the kit lens in the Canon lineup for the smaller sensor is the EF-S 17-55. You could look at other companies' lenses, but sometimes they are hit and miss on what you get. Good luck!!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
so if i were looking for an upgrade to the kit lens what am i looking for?
All depends on what kit lens you are talking about. For example I had a Rebel XT that came with the 18-55mm USM (no IS) kit lens. I took some of my best landscape photos with that lens and a cheap CPL. However, I decided that i wanted better quality glass and built, so I purchased a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. This lens costs four or five times more than the kit lens (around $400.00-$500.00), but it has a fixed aperture of f2.8, it's fast-focusing, and quite sharp. I could have purchased the Canon's version instead, but it cost more than the Tamrom a few years ago.

The "nifty-fifty" is a prime lens (not a zoom). Like other lenses, you can switch it to Manual Focus (M), or Autofocus (AF). It comes in three configurations: f/1.8 (the cheapest and most popular), f/1.4 (my favorite), and f/1.2 (the most expensive). This lens is good for portraits. For example, a person's face across from you. But you can also use it for taking photos of people, pets, etc. that are a little farther from you. With all primes you have to either walk closer to the subject as needed, or move back away from the subject. With a zoom lens, you only do that when you have reached the end of the zooming range.

You can also use a "nifty-fifty" for macro photography. It's not as good as a dedicated macro lens, but you can do a lot with it coupled to a Kenko extension tube. The Kenko extension 3-tube set costs around $165.00. I prefer the f/1.4 "nifty-fifty." It gathers a little more light, and at $300.00 there is no much to complain about. However, you can try the cheaper version, and then sell it if you want the other version. You won't have any trouble selling it. The "nifty-fifty sells fast.

If you want to know about the "nifty-fifty," this is a good review, although I don't agree with the "softness" of the f/1.2 version, since that could be related the individual f/1.2 lens he used:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.4-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Well not that i see why your getting angry over someone else's choices. I am wondering what why a student does not need HDCP as you should know high bandwidth content protection is required for the playback for high definition content such as blu ray disk and therefor a screen with this ability ether over display port or HDMI will have a much longer life span for someone wanting to watch media content than one without HDCP.

I would not use the dell display i don't like the aesthetics nor feel of it, the closest i found to the Apple 30 inch was a samsung 30 inch that ran on display port unfortunately its due date of the 2nd quarter and i haven't seen it in the wild yet nor a GPU on the mac side to power it though i suspect it will be the same panel used in the apple refreshment. For me you can't get more "powerful" displays only ones your comfortable using.

When i was at the Apple store in Glasgow i had a good chance to use the Apple display and found the brightness and colour perfect for me and i didn't get a soar head, i done the same thing when buying my Macbook i had the sales rep bring out ones with the 2 different panels at the time and chose the one i was comfortable using.

And yes i understand showing of photos on a screen will not show them at there best and if i wanted to wow clients on a computer monitor the best bet would be to use a glossy display as that seems to wow the average person however for showing designs and websites pre proof print the Apple display will make the images look natural in most lighting conditions. The dell however would not ascetically match the Mac's especially the macbook pro or mac pro powering it and will not provide anything tangible over the Apple
over the Apple display at all and from most reviews both screens calibrated similar produce results with the Apple often coming on top, though i am not really wanting to get into an argument over a screen choice that i am sure you must know is a very personal thing, i am photo sensitive i really go out the way to find a screen to match me.

I'm only angry because you think I'm getting angry, you can't interpret somebody's emotions through simple text. Why are you still talking about the Dell? I'm not, I just used it to make a point, stop taking things personally. Aesthetics are nice but aren't necessary.

So how do you propose you're going to play with your Hi-def content when a MBP doesn't even have a Blue-Ray drive? Why buy the monitor if you're going to wait a year anyway for the upgrade? Like I said it's not necessary for a student, plus reading ahead it seems you're focusing on the wrong things with your work. You're asking what the difference is between a kit lens and a prime lens?

I think you need to read up on photography before spending all your money and all you've said you're going to do with HDCP is play movies anyway, is that right? Simply put you're wasting your money as a student, you don't need cutting edge.

But yes it is a personal choice so enjoy it.

Not if you don't know what you're buying. The 50mm f/1.4 is a nice lens, but it only offers a half stop advantage over the f/1.8; its heavier and 3x more expensive. For some people looking for a small walkaround lens, the "nifty fifty" (1.8 aperture) is a better buy.

The f1.4 50mm Lens weighs nothing and for £200 its a better bargain over the f1.8 version simply for its optics. My housemate had the f1.8 50mm and I have a f1.4 50mm so I've had experience with both and my housemate regretted buying his.

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
Not if you don't know what you're buying. The 50mm f/1.4 is a nice lens, but it only offers a half stop advantage over the f/1.8; its heavier and 3x more expensive. For some people looking for a small walkaround lens, the "nifty fifty" (1.8 aperture) is a better buy.

Have you held a Mark II 50mm 1.8? It has an awful feel to it. It feels like a plastic lens. If you're going to recomend this lens, at least encourage her to find a used Mark I, which has a much more solid feel to it. But it much more difficult to come across..............

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Have you held a Mark II 50mm 1.8? It has an awful feel to it. It feels like a plastic lens. If you're going to recomend this lens, at least encourage her to find a used Mark I, which has a much more solid feel to it. But it much more difficult to come across..............

Have I held one? I've used the 1.8 aside the 50mm f/1.2 (the latter not owned by me, unfortunately) extensively. If you had read the entirety of my comments, I said that it has terrible build quality and is almost entirely plastic; which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I'm only angry because you think I'm getting angry, you can't interpret somebody's emotions through simple text. Why are you still talking about the Dell? I'm not, I just used it to make a point, stop taking things personally. Aesthetics are nice but aren't necessary.

So how do you propose you're going to play with your Hi-def content when a MBP doesn't even have a Blue-Ray drive? Why buy the monitor if you're going to wait a year anyway for the upgrade? Like I said it's not necessary for a student, plus reading ahead it seems you're focusing on the wrong things with your work. You're asking what the difference is between a kit lens and a prime lens?

I think you need to read up on photography before spending all your money and all you've said you're going to do with HDCP is play movies anyway, is that right? Simply put you're wasting your money as a student, you don't need cutting edge.

But yes it is a personal choice so enjoy it.

The f1.4 50mm Lens weighs nothing and for £200 its a better bargain over the f1.8 version simply for its optics. My housemate had the f1.8 50mm and I have a f1.4 50mm so I've had experience with both and my housemate regretted buying his.

Ah i see you believe because i am a student i don't need cutting edge, So i should not hold of with a screen with HDCP and buy one now that does not have HDCP then when it does have HDCP buy one again. That sounds expensive and i am a student of Multimedia development on my second degree my first being in Technical Support.

I also think i did say i would be looking for ether a macpro or macbook pro depending on budget i am currently swinging more to the Mac pro so i can upgrade it with blu ray and a HDCP compatible GPU though depending on the next macbook pro specs i may be more swayed towards that.

A display with HDCP is nothing to do with photography and is only to do with playing back hi definition movies and i suspect HDCP will be required for renting HD content from iTunes with a computer so i would like to make sure the display will last. I tend to keep displays for many years and get a good one that will last.

And i must say i have quite a bit of money to waste as a student, i am in a full time job earning £860 a month, with a £480 a month extra from the college and i am earning £1000 on a freelance job i am doing converting a site to a custom CMS solution. So i have got some fiancees in place to fund some projects just now and hopefully i mite even manage a large format printer but that will depend on being able to rent some office space for the room to store it.

And yes i need to read up a lot on photography but i am a very hands on person since i hate to read so i think i'll go for the D40 with kit lens, a 8 GB CF card, tripod, and a carry bag. I'll look at some lighting and background sets in the new year for portrait work.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Ah i see you believe because i am a student i don't need cutting edge, So i should not hold of with a screen with HDCP and buy one now that does not have HDCP then when it does have HDCP buy one again. That sounds expensive and i am a student of Multimedia development on my second degree my first being in Technical Support.

I also think i did say i would be looking for ether a macpro or macbook pro depending on budget i am currently swinging more to the Mac pro so i can upgrade it with blu ray and a HDCP compatible GPU though depending on the next macbook pro specs i may be more swayed towards that.

A display with HDCP is nothing to do with photography and is only to do with playing back hi definition movies and i suspect HDCP will be required for renting HD content from iTunes with a computer so i would like to make sure the display will last. I tend to keep displays for many years and get a good one that will last.

And i must say i have quite a bit of money to waste as a student, i am in a full time job earning £860 a month, with a £480 a month extra from the college and i am earning £1000 on a freelance job i am doing converting a site to a custom CMS solution. So i have got some fiancees in place to fund some projects just now and hopefully i mite even manage a large format printer but that will depend on being able to rent some office space for the room to store it.

And yes i need to read up a lot on photography but i am a very hands on person since i hate to read so i think i'll go for the D40 with kit lens, a 8 GB CF card, tripod, and a carry bag. I'll look at some lighting and background sets in the new year for portrait work.

I am a student myself btw and I earn more than you. It's not about how much you earn, its how much you're spending that is the topic of conversation... and as far as I know, you need only Apple TV to rent HD content from iTunes.

Also the other important bits I noticed from your previous comment is 'I have' and 'to waste', so whatever.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I am a student myself btw and I earn more than you. It's not about how much you earn, its how much you're spending that is the topic of conversation... and as far as I know, you need only Apple TV to rent HD content from iTunes.

Also the other important bits I noticed from your previous comment is 'I have' and 'to waste', so whatever.

What is wrong with buying the product i want when i have disposable income, come on my income is £1200/month and my outgoings from that are £350 base and can go up to £500 if i buy clothes and dvds.
I don't waste time socializing with people so that saves money and when i buy clothes i buy them from M&S were i can to get something that will last especially when it comes to shoes.

I buy most of my food from a local farm and the rest from tesco or M&S, i am 10 minute walk from the college i will be studying in for the next 3 years after just finishing my 1st year of this course which i plan to take to honors degree. College here is free and comes with a student loan that repayments are taken out of my wages when i start earning over £15K at around £15 a month with the option to pay it of sooner if i please.

The dell screen is £50 less than the Apple screen, or £100 more than the Apple screen with student discount. The dell sceen is ugly, has a worse backlight and is overpriced for a hunk of plastic and its only close to the Apple screen in price just now because of a £493.15 discount with its only saving grace is that it already has HDCP over display port and HDMI though this is negligible as the revision of the Apple display will most likely have HDCP and if it does not then it will just discourage me to bother with blue ray and to be truthful i only wanted HDCP and HDMI so i could plug in a Apple tv along side the Mac Pro(decided this with a Macbook air to replace my macbook is the best option the air will be about may next year).

Now i know what screen i am getting, what computer, what backup solution and thanks to this thread what digital camera and lens that i will purchase in the future to complement it.

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=142660
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M9179B/A?fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays&mco=MTI1NzM

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
babyjenniferLB,

I see nothing wrong with your plans about the Cinema display, and the Canon 40D. Instead of a single 8GB memory card, why not two 4GB ones just in case something happens to one of them?

Also, I highly recommend to new 40D users to buy a Canon 40D photography guide that clearly explains every function of the camera. For example, when I bought my 40D perhaps three weeks ago, and before receiving it from B&H, I stopped by a book store and purchased David D. Bush's "Canon EOS 40D Guide To Digital SLR Photography." This 300-page book contains clear explanations relating to every function of the 40D, how to adjust all the presets to your liking, etc. The owner's manual contains a lot of data, but the "guide" above not only clarifies all the technical data, but presents you with samples, and takes you through the steps necessary to master the 40D.

You have said that you don't like to read a lot, but this book will save you a lot of time learning about the camera. Most of the 40D functions are fully adjustable by the user. You can create your own shooting modes, you can even change the menu and then save the data. If you change everything and then don't like it, you can easily return all the settings to factory preset.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
AlaskaMoose what font is the book in, and is it available as an e-book. I can read books in a sanf serf font and use a pink sheet over it to help the words from jumping about but if its a serf font i have to get it re written for my by my friend that sometimes takes a lot of time depending on the book if we can't find a e-book version.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
ICollege here is free and comes with a student loan that repayments are taken out of my wages when i start earning over £15K at around £15 a month with the option to pay it of sooner if i please.

I'm curious about this. Which UK university is 'free'? I'm pretty sure we're stung for tuition fees, even if they get offloaded as debt. I'm not so keen on what will be my £18k+ debt from my three year degree (tuition fees, student loan).

Of the canons, last time I checked the 40D was the obvious choice, the 450D wasn't sufficiently cheaper. Unless weight is an issue. I assume when you suddenly mentioned the 'D40', a Nikon, it was a typo.

If you can afford it, a Mac Pro of some description is lovely. Otherwise a MBP a guess, if you want the 30" - can anything else drive it?

I'm not sure how you're managing to do a degree and hold down a full time job. Sounds nuts. I suppose cube is just concerned you're splurging on things which won't improve results, per se, when you could be saving the money for a house, or feeding the poor, buying better lenses, or something. There is some validity to his viewpoint. Ultimately, of course, it's your choice.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Leigh-

I find it interesting that you think one cannot hold down a full job and go to school. I work 60 hours and go to school for 12-15 credit hours a semester. It's hard, but I have a mortgage to pay, and school is not exactly cheap.

Although hearing of free tuition in the UK does make me cry a little. I wish the US was that forward thinking.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Leigh-

I find it interesting that you think one cannot hold down a full job and go to school. I work 60 hours and go to school for 12-15 credit hours a semester. It's hard, but I have a mortgage to pay, and school is not exactly cheap.

Although hearing of free tuition in the UK does make me cry a little. I wish the US was that forward thinking.

I don't think it would be possible where I am, Oxford, but the terms are quite short and they therefore pack a lot in. Oxford don't let you have a job, full stop, during term time. I'm not sure what a 'credit hour' is, we don't have such a system. At many unis in England people do work but 60 hours a week would make it impossible to attend most of the course, perhaps one could fit in something more flexible, like English, if you killed yourself over it. Good luck to you, it must be tough!

Tuition in the UK isn't free [Edit: Scotland, yes, to natives - I should have typed England, I had a slight mental glitch]. Every uni. barring perhaps two, charge something over £3300/year tuition fees. Not massive compared to some US places, but not free. They may be able to charge more for non-first degrees and such, but I am unsure. Generally people qualify for loans and such, so it becomes a debt.

Anyhow, a digression somewhat from the topic. Apologies.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I'm curious about this. Which UK university is 'free'? I'm pretty sure we're stung for tuition fees, even if they get offloaded as debt. I'm not so keen on what will be my £18k+ debt from my three year degree (tuition fees, student loan).

Of the canons, last time I checked the 40D was the obvious choice, the 450D wasn't sufficiently cheaper. Unless weight is an issue. I assume when you suddenly mentioned the 'D40', a Nikon, it was a typo.

If you can afford it, a Mac Pro of some description is lovely. Otherwise a MBP a guess, if you want the 30" - can anything else drive it?

I'm not sure how you're managing to do a degree and hold down a full time job. Sounds nuts. I suppose cube is just concerned you're splurging on things which won't improve results, per se, when you could be saving the money for a house, or feeding the poor, buying better lenses, or something. There is some validity to his viewpoint. Ultimately, of course, it's your choice.

I am in scotland tuition is free and i get a student loan, i am coming for my 2nd year in a BSC honors at Adam smith college, i have no plans for uni unless i wish to go beyond BSC honors.

Yes it is the Cannon D40 i am after, and aye i hold down a full time job when a degree is 2.5 days a week and what i do in my own time.

I will not be saving money for a house as i do not see the value in property the same reason i do not own nor ever intend on owning a car when a train gets me around cheeper.

I most certainly would not "feed the poor" there is 6.7 billion people on this planet and it can only sustain 2 - 3 billion with a varied diet suitable for humans. Feeding the poor would only encourage to further the problem of having to many people to begin with. We need to populate other worlds that can be farmed or develop major GM crops in order to feed the population.

None of these things are for improving my results the lens like many have suggested i will need to try the kit lens and see what the results are on different settings and find out what i end up using most, my only interest in the camera is for fun and side projects. The screen and computer to drive it are to improve productivity in web development over my 13 inch screen. In the store i was able to run 3 different browsers. Taco and css edit with the preview plain all on the one screen with minimal over lapping.
That appeals to me greatly.

I don't think it would be possible where I am, Oxford, but the terms are quite short and they therefore pack a lot in. Oxford don't let you have a job, full stop, during term time. I'm not sure what a 'credit hour' is, we don't have such a system. At many unis in England people do work but 60 hours a week would make it impossible to attend most of the course, perhaps one could fit in something more flexible, like English, if you killed yourself over it. Good luck to you, it must be tough!

Tuition in the UK isn't free. Every uni. barring perhaps two, charge something over £3300/year tuition fees. Not massive compared to some US places, but not free. They may be able to charge more for non-first degrees and such, but I am unsure. Generally people qualify for loans and such, so it becomes a debt.

Anyhow, a digression somewhat from the topic. Apologies.

Don't speak for the UK when you live in England, Scotland runs a very different system.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Don't speak for the UK when you live in England, Scotland runs a very different system.

Apologies, you are of course correct, I should have typed 'England' for some reason I just assumed you were here when you used pounds. As England has a larger population it is generally a correct one. I mean no offence! Scotland's system is far superior.

Your argument about population and supporting the poor is balls though, western lifestyles are a big problem and adding product hardly decreases human load on the world. I was being off the cuff on 'feeding the poor' I meant, in general something to help those less fortunate (I most certainly do not do my bit at present, working on it).

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Apologies, you are of course correct, I should have typed 'England' for some reason I just assumed you were here when you used pounds. As England has a larger population it is generally a correct one. I mean no offence! Scotland's system is far superior.

Your argument about population and supporting the poor is balls though, western lifestyles are a big problem and adding product hardly decreases human load on the world. I was being off the cuff on 'feeding the poor' I meant, in general something to help those less fortunate (I most certainly do not do my bit at present, working on it).

Aye well we use £ sterling up here too lol.
My argument about the population problem is correct however it is rather unpleasant and unpopular the truth of the mater is too many humans on too small a planet to support them all.
To help thoughts less fortunate is something i do weekly to support a local charity for cats. And i pay out to a few other animal charity's and i fund an animal rights awareness group also local to my area that informs people of were some of there food comes from i.e battery farming.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Hi - I think the 40D with the 28-135 IS would be a great combination for what you describe (people, portraits). With those subjects, I think you'll find that you will want to get in closer; be able to capture those great frame-filling face shots and the extra range will really help there. It's a great lens - my sister (who's a UK resident) has one on her 350 and she's quite the globe trotter - she finds that it's a really good travel kit for her.

Here's the Jessop's link: http://www.jessops.com/Store/s12519...rtBy=RelevanceDESC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=n

Canon has a 40D kit with that lens in the US. (here's a US site example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518570-REG/Canon_1901B017_EOS_40D_SLR_Digital.html) (Aside: I couldn't find it on the Jessops site - but my goodness photo equipment is expensive there, that lens is $690 when converted to US at today's exchange rate and it's $499 here.)

Lens info: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=7337

The Digital Picture site has a very comprehensive set of Canon lens reviews (both zooms and primes) - here's the link for the write-up on the 28-135mm IS. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-135mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

A link to photos taken with the lens is at the bottom of each write-up. Here's the direct link to his sample shots with that lens: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...28-135mm-f3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Sample-Pictures

Best -
LG

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
AlaskaMoose what font is the book in, and is it available as an e-book. I can read books in a sanf serf font and use a pink sheet over it to help the words from jumping about but if its a serf font i have to get it re written for my by my friend that sometimes takes a lot of time depending on the book if we can't find a e-book version.

I don't really know if the book is available in "e-book" form. I wish I knew what fonts are used in the book, but it's, I believe, one of the books used at "Course Technology, CENGAGE Learning." The book should be available in Europe, in the UK. Their web page is: "cengage.com," and their telephone: 800-354-9706.

Hope this helps.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Aye well we use £ sterling up here too lol.
My argument about the population problem is correct however it is rather unpleasant and unpopular the truth of the mater is too many humans on too small a planet to support them all.
To help thoughts less fortunate is something i do weekly to support a local charity for cats. And i pay out to a few other animal charity's and i fund an animal rights awareness group also local to my area that informs people of were some of there food comes from i.e battery farming.

I've noticed through this conversation that you speak very boldly, why is that? It seems you won't waiver from your viewpoint whether its 30 inch monitors to feeding the 3rd world. As is 'my argument... is correct' when the situation of feeding everybody, clearly isn't so binary as you think it is.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I've noticed through this conversation that you speak very boldly, why is that? It seems you won't waiver from your viewpoint whether its 30 inch monitors to feeding the 3rd world. As is 'my argument... is correct' when the situation of feeding everybody, clearly isn't so binary as you think it is.

She has a different way of thinking and expressing herself. I'm guessing it's not necessarily meant to be taken offensively.

But anyway, back on topic, I have the 40D - it's a lovely camera - and I also use the 'nifty fifty' lens that many have mentioned here. It's great.

My everyday/multi-purpose lens is the Canon EF 24-70mm L series, which is a bit more expensive than the OP asked for. But it's sooo nice.

As for the monitor: I use a HDCP compliant Dell 24", which is amazingly good for photography, and very cheap to buy. I can't stand to look at photos on my iBook screen after using the Dell. I haven't used an Apple Cinema display for a while, so can't compare.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Funny how you two get along :) Yes, I know it's not my business, but I can imagine you two as a couple "sniping" on each other day-in day-out about avery thing imaginable. Please don't take what I say wrong. It's kind of cute and entertaining. See...both of you have taken a defensive sort of stance :)

Stop slapping each other already! Don't you realize that we see in others only what we want to see? For example, a projection of oneself (like looking at a reflection of oneself ).

OK, OK! I will butt-out. I apologize for telling both of you to get along.

Any of you two like dogs? By the way, I used a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens to get up-close to the dog's nose, setting my 40D to focus on her face.
Abbie07-08.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.