Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I just purchased the Fantastical 2 App and I am not able to add an event from my Watch. I can bring up the Add Event screen using a long press and I can dictate a message. However, when I press done in the top right corner of the Watch App, the screen goes blank for several seconds and returns to a blank screen with the word cancel in the upper left. Touching, swiping or long pressing the screen does nothing. My only choice is to cancel the "blank" request. I power cycled the Watch and the problem persist.

Has anyone else been able to use the Watch App to add an event with the latest version of Fantastical? This was one of the key reasons I bought the App in the first place.

Edit: I am able to add an event using the + button (new event) from Fantastical on my iPhone.

Edit on 2016-01-01: I am finally able to add events from the Watch! See post below for details.

Edit on 2016-01-02: Add events and reminders are not working, again.

iPhone: iOS 9.1 and 9.2
Watch: OS 2.1
Fantastical 2: 2.5.3 (577)
Calendar: Microsoft Exchange

Thanks,

TxWatch

Last edited:

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I upgraded my phone to IOS 9.2 last night and the problem still persists.

I read several posts on this forum (Top 5 Apps) about how good Fantastical 2 was on their Watch, so I am surprised no one else is having this problem.

TxWatch

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Other than this one issue, I really like Fantastical 2 on my phone and Watch. The Watch App, complications and glances are much better than the default Calendar app.

They had a holiday sale for only $2.99 for the iPhone / Watch app. The iPad version is extra, but I have not found a need for it.

TxWatch

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Just bought it. Love the watch implementation, but the app itself will take some time to get used to. Off the bat, I liked sunrise better.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Other than this one issue, I really like Fantastical 2 on my phone and Watch. The Watch App, complications and glances are much better than the default Calendar app.

They had a holiday sale for only $2.99 for the iPhone / Watch app. The iPad version is extra, but I have not found a need for it.

TxWatch
Big fan of Fantastical 2. I import my work calendar and it is my center complication during work hours.

Debating getting Things now that it is native and has a complication.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
OK, I am loving the Fantastical 2 app on the watch. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm still Soso on the app on the phone. But the watch makes it worth the three dollars alone.

LtCore

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2014
I'm a new Apple Watch Sports Edition owner as of Christmas. I've been using Fantastical for a few years on my iPhone and Macs. However, none of my calendars sync with Fantastical on my watch. Very disappointing. I have the latest watchOS and my iPhone is up to date. The regular Apple calendar syncs fine on the watch. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thx!

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I'm a new Apple Watch Sports Edition owner as of Christmas. I've been using Fantastical for a few years on my iPhone and Macs. However, none of my calendars sync with Fantastical on my watch. Very disappointing. I have the latest watchOS and my iPhone is up to date. The regular Apple calendar syncs fine on the watch. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thx!

i did not have this problem, but you can try powering off your phone and Watch, then turning the phone and Watch back on. If that does not work, others have had success disconnecting and re-pairing their Watches when they experience syncing issues. As a last resort, you can remove the Fantastical App from your phone and reinstall it to see if the calendar's begin to sync.

TxWatch

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
i did not have this problem, but you can try powering off your phone and Watch, then turning the phone and Watch back on. If that does not work, others have had success disconnecting and re-pairing their Watches when they experience syncing issues. As a last resort, you can remove the Fantastical App from your phone and reinstall it to see if the calendar's begin to sync.

TxWatch
This

LtCore

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2014
I finally got past the No Access message, thx everyone. I can also create events using the long press but I still cannot see any of my events. When I create an event on my watch it shows up on my Mac in Fantastical and gets added to the regular Mac calendar on my MacBook Pro and iMac.

I've removed Fantastical from my Watch, rebooted both devices too. Any other ideas? Thx!

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Did you try removing the App from your Phone? I hate to suggest it because it will probably be a pain to re-install all of your customization's, but if you have had it for a long time, there may be some Phone setting the Watch does not like.

When I installed Fantastical 2 on my Phone for the first time, I did not change any of the default settings. All of my events and Reminders's immediately appeared on my Watch within a minute. Since then, I have added and deleted events, added and deleted reminders from my Watch, Phone and PC without any issues.

TxWatch

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I want to close the loop on this issue.

I took my own advice and removed the App from the Watch one more time. However, this time after re-installing app, I also power cycled the Watch. After the Watch powered on, I was able to add Events and Reminders using voice activation because the "create" screen finally showed up.

IMG_0565.PNG IMG_0566.PNG

I tried it several more times the next day and this morning with success. I also noticed my Reminders are showing up when I press the Reminder button at the top of the Application page on the Watch. The "Reminders" screen was always blank prior to the changes.

IMG_0567.PNG IMG_0568.PNG

I am very impressed with Fantastical 2 and with this problem now resolved, I highly recommend it over the standard Calendar App on the Watch. The Application, Complications and Glances have more useful information displayed, plus it is very fast to load with OS 2.1. I can easily see my next appointment on the face and drill down into the details for my day with a single button press on my Watch.

TxWatch

Reactions: gwhizkids

LtCore

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2014
I'm glad you got it working. I've tried every trick mentioned here but I can't get it work. I'm back to the default Apple calendar :(

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Until yesterday, my reminders have been showing up, but now when using the glance or the app on the watch, I get a blank screen under reminders.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Until yesterday, my reminders have been showing up, but now when using the glance or the app on the watch, I get a blank screen under reminders.

Try adding a new Event or Reminder from the Watch. You have to Force Press the main application screen to add an Event or Force Press the reminder screen to add a Reminder. In both cases, I saw a blank "cancel" screen after I dictated my message with no way to create the event.

IMG_0571.PNG

If you are seeing the same thing, then this is a more common issue than I expected.

I wonder if the people who write Fantastical visit this Forum? It is really nice to have the developer who wrote the Carrot Weather App reply to your questions concerning his product.

TxWatch

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Yup, it's what I was seeing. That said, i deleted, reinstalled and restarted the watch and it's back to working again for now. I'll report back if I see more issues.

LtCore

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2014
Flexibits walked me through a few things via Twitter and nothing seemed to fix it: I can't see events in Glances, Complications or the Fantastical app. Ironically I can create events on my watch and the events sync up with Fantastical on my Macs and iPad. The events show up in the regular Apple Calendar. Major bummer.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
The problem is back for me, as well. I was able to add events for a couple of days, but not any longer. I followed the same troubleshooting steps a couple of times without success.

This might be a wide spread issue, but people do not realize it or they are not reporting the problem.

TxWatch

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
I contacted the developers when I was amazed that the large complication for their app won't show all day events.

Their response was:

We don't display all-day events on the complications, as the number on the complications is for your remaining items. As all-day events can never be 'completed', we're somewhat reluctant to include them in the complication.

So for anything that I had in my diary That's an all day event I had to put a time to it for it to show in the complication. (Even free calendar apps allow all day events to show on the large complication)

My honest opinion is that this app isn't as good as the hype I've read about it.

My advice to those getting splinters by sitting on the fence if to buy this would be to shop around until these intermittent issues are ironed out especially if you have a lot of all day events in your calendar.

In defence, I can't fault the developer for responding to my issue tho.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I love this app, but the reminder thing is starting to become a deal breaker for me. I have the clear app for reminders and wanted to delete it if this one worked well. And it did for a few days, but the blank reminder screen canny be trusted at this point. I hope they resolve that issue

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I love this app, but the reminder thing is starting to become a deal breaker for me. I have the clear app for reminders and wanted to delete it if this one worked well. And it did for a few days, but the blank reminder screen canny be trusted at this point. I hope they resolve that issue

I see the reminders correctly on the day of the reminder and in the scrolling list of events. I am notified about the reminder at the correct time, as well. The only I place I do not see them is on the summary screen noted above. For me, it is not a big enough issue to stop using F2 on my Watch.

I contacted the developers when I was amazed that the large complication for their app won't show all day events.

Their response was:

We don't display all-day events on the complications, as the number on the complications is for your remaining items. As all-day events can never be 'completed', we're somewhat reluctant to include them in the complication.

I can see their point, but it would nice to make it an option we can turn on or off.

By the way, how did you contact the developers? I may send them a note about the blank screen issue, so they are aware.

TxWatch

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I see the reminders correctly on the day of the reminder and in the scrolling list of events. I am notified about the reminder at the correct time, as well. The only I place I do not see them is on the summary screen noted above. For me, it is not a big enough issue to stop using F2 on my Watch.

I can see their point, but it would nice to make it an option we can turn on or off.

By the way, how did you contact the developers? I may send them a note about the blank screen issue, so they are aware.

TxWatch
In the phone app in the settings icon, at the very bottom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.