Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
That pentaprism must be HUGE to allow for 100% coverage. It's a real professionals camera, I'd be willing to bet it would self destruct if it was paired with anything other than a luxury class lens. My question to Canon is this: If you are going to charge $5,000 for a DSLR, WHY is there not a full-frame sensor?!! Seems kind of silly to me to allocate that much light sensitivity to a small sensor...and in such a huge body.:mad:

Try reading some of the posts above, which do address some reasons why Canon go for APS-H sensors. They will be offering the 1Ds Mark IV at some point as well, which will give you FF sensor. Note, APS-H is 1.28x crop, not the 1.6x crop of APS-C seen in the 7D/50D etc

As for the size of the prism? It's identical to the one used in the 1D Mark III - there's been zero changes to the viewfinder.

Oh, and yes, it's a pro camera. Obviously. The 1 series always has been, and always will be. They have to be paired with good glass.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Just seen this on the Canon website. Anybody else think this makes it look like the Terminator :D

Attachments

• Magnesium body.jpg
    Magnesium body.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 61

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It's not pro. Nowadays it should have a full frame sensor.

The D3s is a much better buy for the money.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
4,599 EUR = 4,193.73 GBP (Getting stiffed, but not as bad as UK)

I can't find a Yen price at the moment :( However, if Canon can afford to sell at $4999 in the US...

OK, I've converted the US price to JPY (just using Google: the rates are good enough for our purposes here) as well as the UK price minus VAT:

4999 U.S. dollars = 453 300.689 Japanese yen
3913 British pounds = 581 663.121 Japanese yen

So I would agree: we appear to be getting the shaft.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
It's not pro. Nowadays it should have a full frame sensor.

The D3s is a much better buy for the money.

I think the D3s and this new Canon sit pretty evenly next to each other for their target markets.

I don't think many pros will care two hoots about the crop sensor as long as it delivers in low light and focuses well. The extra reach from the crop sensor saves money and weight in longer lenses and gives even more reach with the biggest lenses should it be needed. This camera is clearly squared at sports and wildlife shooters, for which both weight and reach are issues. The minuscule amount of extra depth of field gained at the long focal lengths with the lens wide open could also be considered another benefit.

Wedding photographers, stick with a 5D MkII. Interestingly Canon don't have anything that sits totally comfortably with photojournalists, for which the D3s could be considered perfect. So I guess the D3s could be seen as having a more broad appeal to the various genres of photographers out there.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
It's not pro. Nowadays it should have a full frame sensor. The D3s is a much better buy for the money.

Lol,

It's replacing the 1D Mk III (and for some pro's the 1D MKII) so keeping the APS-H makes sense. The users of the older 1D series are used to the crop, used the way it works. Why change it?

Pro doesn't mean Full Frame, I've seen many pro's using 40D's

As for the price Canon's european RRP always starts stupid. Street price in a few months will be £3599-3999.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Wedding photographers, stick with a 5D MkII. Interestingly Canon don't have anything that sits totally comfortably with photojournalists, for which the D3s could be considered perfect. So I guess the D3s could be seen as having a more broad appeal to the various genres of photographers out there.

Dunno, all you lack is the UWA side of things, with your 14mm becoming an 18mm - still pretty wide really. The big bonus is the resolution - you can get some good size crops out of a 16mp camera, and it provides the resolution for the glossy editorials. As a PJ, I'd be happy with one of these (just like I'm happy with my Mark III), bar the cost. Whilst I agree Canon really are pushing for the sports/nature market, it doesn't render the camera invalid for everything else. Arguably, the Mark IV and D3s are so similar there's basically nothing in it - your choice then moves to lenses.

Still peeved that for video, 6mp and some AF fixes Canon push the price up by a grand and a half. As for the EU RRP...it took a good while for the Mark III to really shift off its RRP, and most of that has been recently. I can't see this thing for under £4k any time soon.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
They might be pros, but the camera is not. 40D is semi-pro, like D300.

Please. Ask any real pro if they care about the size of the sensor as long as the camera they're using is able to perform as they expect.

There is a time and a place for 1.3x cameras, and it so happens that that place is in sports and wildlife shooting which also happens to be historically the biggest market for the 1D series.

Canon would have had to release a new 21MP FF sensor and the required processing to hit 10FPS to match the resolution and speed of the 1DmkIV after cropping, and while I am sure we'll come to that point down the road, it's not today.

So if they can hit the noise performance levels that they want, why not go with a APS-H sensor? If you're trying to say that it's somehow not a "pro" camera just because it's not FF, you're nuts.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

Hey...! My D300 resembles that remark!! :mad: Of course I'm not sure how much money I have to make on assignment to call it a "pro" instead of "semi-pro" assignment, but I catch your drift. Some folks might think anything with a built-in flash isn't pro, like the manager of my local camera store - but he's shaking his head and admitting the D700 is pretty darn "pro" any way you look at it.

Bottom line: (I just love bottom lines... and curvy bottoms...;)) Is it the camera that's the "pro" or is it the photographer? I always considered the person either the pro or semi-pro or enthusiast or amateur or novice or expert or whatever... and that made the camera they were using the same thing. Rich guy with big expensive "pro" camera = dude with heavy point' and shoot.

I think this new Canon's best feature is the new autofocus (as peskaa said, if it works) and the better ISO sensitivity. I'm not all that sure the 1.28x factor crop format reeks of "pro" these days, but it does target the longer telephoto shooter, no doubt. Oh...yeah, I forgot - video (1080p) and the extra $1500 price tag.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Some folks might think anything with a built-in flash isn't pro, like the manager of my local camera store - but he's shaking his head and admitting the D700 is pretty darn "pro" any way you look at it.

The D700 has Pro Nikon support, so Nikon qualifies it as pro, even if it doesn't have a 100% viewfinder.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Canon also recognises the 1D series as Professional, so you just blew your argument out of the water.

That I agree with Nikon doesn't imply that I agree with Canon. The 1D could have a crop mode for speed.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

I think the 1DIV and the 7D show Canon's thinking about what a "professional" series of cameras should look like. Basically, the series needs to be comprised of sturdy and weather sealed cameras, with a variety of sensors, body sizes, and features to suit different professional applications. The mentality is not that a "pro" camera is the one that has the highest/biggest/fastest specification in every possible category. By that thinking, there would be only one possible "pro" camera per brand.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I'm probably going to grab a 5D Mark II (which is getting 24fps support next year FINAFU**INGLLY CANON) and the EOS 7D. I would love to grab this camera but 5K one one body is WAY out of my range. If I had it though I'd be all over this.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Like jessica. would say: pot meets kettle

Really? When I just spent ages bashing Canon for ridiculous pricing, a ridiculous race with Nikon for high ISOs and, well, ridiculous pricing. Frankly, Canon should be ashamed with the Mark IV at this moment in time.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Really? When I just spent ages bashing Canon for ridiculous pricing, a ridiculous race with Nikon for high ISOs and, well, ridiculous pricing. Frankly, Canon should be ashamed with the Mark IV at this moment in time.

You completely bombarded the D3s thread with your dissing.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Check Cnet they seems to get an early take on the 1D Mark IV and I must admit ISO 102 400 looks terrible, either Cnet made mistake or Canon ISO 102 400 is that terrible :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.