Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
that site, frankly, is full of crap.

without recovering shadows or highlights, DSLRs (at base ISO) produce around 8.5 stops of DR by default. you get about 3 stops more if you shoot RAW. MF typically has slightly more. however, this does not mean they cover the same range of grays.

I also think it needs to be made clear that extra DR is not so you can screw up the exposure more and still have a usable photo. negative film has what, 15 stops of DR? no one used that as an excuse to neglect their exposure settings.

the HDR + number idea might catch on, but I don't think "HDR" itself will since it's already being used in the photographic community for something else. the numbers will need some tweaking, though, since gains in DR are usually in tenths of stops, not full stops...

I'd quite like to hear your reasoning behind why you believe the linked website is full of crap. Seriously, I would. I just read what I saw on there and I have no data to counter what is written on it. This isn't to say I believe whatever I read on the web I take to be true - far from it, but the site does provide to me at least an air of credibility, but then I could be totally wrong on that so please tell me why. This is a subject I would like to know more on so please enlighten me with more accurate info. The linked website uses RAW files for it's comparisons, so their findings seem reasonable to me.

The whole disposable camera market was based on the wide exposure latitude of negative film. The cameras could only take a picture set at one exposure setting and the picture was developed relying solely on what the film hopefully recorded - the manufacturers themselves (Kodak, Fuji, Konika, Ilford) used it as an excuse to neglect proper exposure settings to sell cheap, easy to use cameras. Unfortunately they succeeded rather successfully and the poor high street print labs had to pick up the crap and print the ruddy films for them and explain why the results were so rubbish to the public. I can see this occurring again one day once the dynamic range of digi cameras is improved and we'll see in tourist shops single use digital cameras with (example) 256mb storage, pay more for a camera with 512mb etc - download and print at your local Kodak print shop for £7.99. The camera is then recharged, the memory card is reformatted, cardboard branding case is replaced and put back on sale.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I'll probably pick up one of these in the new year, after others have put the camera through the testing gauntlets.

The new servo autofocusing is exciting, as is the automatic AF point switching will be really helpful for a lot action shooters.

3416_canon_markiv_af_horzvert.jpg

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
The whole disposable camera market was based on the wide exposure latitude of negative film. The cameras could only take a picture set at one exposure setting and the picture was developed relying solely on what the film hopefully recorded - the manufacturers themselves (Kodak, Fuji, Konika, Ilford) used it as an excuse to neglect proper exposure settings to sell cheap, easy to use cameras. Unfortunately they succeeded rather successfully and the poor high street print labs had to pick up the crap and print the ruddy films for them and explain why the results were so rubbish to the public. I can see this occurring again one day once the dynamic range of digi cameras is improved and we'll see in tourist shops single use digital cameras with (example) 256mb storage, pay more for a camera with 512mb etc - download and print at your local Kodak print shop for £7.99. The camera is then recharged, the memory card is reformatted, cardboard branding case is replaced and put back on sale.

interesting concept but the prices of low end digital cameras are such that it isn't really worth it except for gimmick cameras and even then the number of places you can go to print your photos is gradually decreasing as people just print the few pics they want to print at home and post the rest online or send via email.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
This camera looks interesting but I really can't justify paying the price.
Maybe I'll wait for these to be sold on the used market and pick one up.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Righto, I got a brief hands on with the Mark IV. I'd break it down like this:

1) Feels incredibly similar to a Mark III. I had mine with me, and couldn't tell the difference in my hand. Controls in exactly the same places.

2) Few tweaks - the new covers for ports are better, particularly the damned WiFi port which constantly comes off on my Mark III. No more losing the cover!

3) Shooting speed is the same, feels the same.

4) AF is fast and accurate, but obviously I couldn't try it out in the circumstances that make the Mark III suffer. I do however expect Canon to have fixed the AF for this camera.

5) Resolution is good, plenty of scope for crops

6) ISO. Not as bad as the CNET Asia crops make out at all - Canon wouldn't let me pop my own card in the camera, but I looked at my results on screen at the time and the noise up to around 6,400 was acceptable. Personally, I wouldn't take it past that, but the 100k result was on par with Nikon's D3s release images. Seems like Canon have achieved the same result on a smaller sensor - probably due to the new(ish) microlenses.

7) Cost? Canon UK are bullish that the street price is going to be less than the £4499 RRP - in fact, there were pre-orders available giving you a free G11 (£499.99 RRP) with a Mark IV. I'm expecting street price to be £3999.99 once the first batch of orders have hit the real world. Not as cheap as I'd like, but not *quite* as much of a punch in the face.

So overall, nice upgrade really. Minor tweaks to the body, but a re-working of the AF and sensor. I'll probably buy a new lens rather than an IV though, and wait for a Mark V.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Righto, I got a brief hands on with the Mark IV. I'd break it down like this:

1) Feels incredibly similar to a Mark III. I had mine with me, and couldn't tell the difference in my hand. Controls in exactly the same places.

2) Few tweaks - the new covers for ports are better, particularly the damned WiFi port which constantly comes off on my Mark III. No more losing the cover!

3) Shooting speed is the same, feels the same.

4) AF is fast and accurate, but obviously I couldn't try it out in the circumstances that make the Mark III suffer. I do however expect Canon to have fixed the AF for this camera.

5) Resolution is good, plenty of scope for crops

6) ISO. Not as bad as the CNET Asia crops make out at all - Canon wouldn't let me pop my own card in the camera, but I looked at my results on screen at the time and the noise up to around 6,400 was acceptable. Personally, I wouldn't take it past that, but the 100k result was on par with Nikon's D3s release images. Seems like Canon have achieved the same result on a smaller sensor - probably due to the new(ish) microlenses.

7) Cost? Canon UK are bullish that the street price is going to be less than the £4499 RRP - in fact, there were pre-orders available giving you a free G11 (£499.99 RRP) with a Mark IV. I'm expecting street price to be £3999.99 once the first batch of orders have hit the real world. Not as cheap as I'd like, but not *quite* as much of a punch in the face.

So overall, nice upgrade really. Minor tweaks to the body, but a re-working of the AF and sensor. I'll probably buy a new lens rather than an IV though, and wait for a Mark V.

Did you see it at the Canon Pro event in Islington? Good show I thought. I went along on Wednesday and have to admit I didn't even take 30secs to look at cameras that day (I did forget the 1D MkIV was on display). Spent most of my time queuing/listening to the speakers. Went to the Ascough talk, which was interesting and the fashion dude's, whose name I can't remember but his work was truly stunning.

PS I posted a link in the Nikon D3s thread - more shots from the 102,000 setting are available, and they really are amazing for such a high ISO.

I think I'm going through a phase where lenses interest me a lot more than camera bodies at the moment (does anyone else have this too?). I wish Nikon would release some wide primes to match the Canon offerings, and new fast 85 and 135 lenses.

EDIT - Looked up the fashion dude's name. Lorenzo Agius.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I was indeed at the Islington event, but my contact at Canon had access to a private viewing area for the Mark IV (off the main show floor), so I spent about 45mins in there using one, and a Mac Pro + 30" ACD for viewing.

As an aside, was quite impressed at the volume of Macs on the show floor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.