Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I'd look mainly to B&H, Adorama, KEH and 17th Street Photo, along with other vendors like Roberts over in Indiana, which has prices that match B&H's. Amazon relies on an assortment of vendors for much of its more expensive merchandise, and some of the prices are phenomenally marked up. The Canon 5D Mark II has regularly been listed at several hundred to even a thousand dollars over its retail price at the above vendors over at Amazon.
Amazon itself usually has the same prices as everyone else, if not lower. The vendors that it sells the default buying option to, though, are a different story. Look at the 5D Mark II kit. 4.5k?! :eek: At least Amazon's sane and normal price is still an option.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
WOW! You are going to love that lens!

I don't blame you for a second for not wanting to spend serious dollars on an EF-S lens. On one hand, the demise of crop bodies has been predicted since they first arrived, and EF-S lenses are always going to work on crop bodies. On the other hand, there is something to be said for future-proofing your purchases and that is one nice lens!

Are you buying a good UV filter to go with it, (like the B+W UV MRC)?

some Canon lenses currently out of stock on Amazon and appear to have been that way for a while...

EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM (listed as currently unavailable)
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

something in it? probably not but still makes for an interesting list given most of these had been in stock almost all the time not too long ago.
We had a brief discussion of this over on CR about the rebate lenses. Something is definitely strange going on over at Amazon, not only do they not have stock on many Canon lenses but sometimes they don't even list themselves as a seller. This entices their "affiliates" to charge ticket-scalper pricing. Check out the Amazon link for the 5D MkII w/ 24-105 f/4L to see what I'm talking about; $4,500 from Pavilion where $3500 is Amazon's "normal" price!

Anyway, as of tonight B&H has stock on most of the glass your list; I'd guess Adorama would too:
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Apropos of nuthin', I really covet that EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM in the worst way. I hope they are still in stock in mid-July before the rebates expire (and that I can raise some money by then).

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
WOW! You are going to love that lens!

I don't blame you for a second for not wanting to spend serious dollars on an EF-S lens. On one hand, the demise of crop bodies has been predicted since they first arrived, and EF-S lenses are always going to work on crop bodies. On the other hand, there is something to be said for future-proofing your purchases and that is one nice lens!

Are you buying a good UV filter to go with it, (like the B+W UV MRC)?

We had a brief discussion of this over on CR about the rebate lenses. Something is definitely strange going on over at Amazon, not only do they not have stock on many Canon lenses but sometimes they don't even list themselves as a seller. This entices their "affiliates" to charge ticket-scalper pricing. Check out the Amazon link for the 5D MkII w/ 24-105 f/4L to see what I'm talking about; $4,500 from Pavilion where $3500 is Amazon's "normal" price!

Anyway, as of tonight B&H has stock on most of the glass your list; I'd guess Adorama would too:
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Apropos of nuthin', I really covet that EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM in the worst way. I hope they are still in stock in mid-July before the rebates expire (and that I can raise some money by then).

Photozone lists the 70-200 2.8 non-IS as being a bit sharper than the IS version, and it's also a good bit cheaper.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I've got both the 50/1.4 and the 35/1.4. I bought the 35 (second hand: I'm not made of money) once I tried the 50 for a while. I more or less never use the 50 now. I love the 35...

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, I ended up going with Adorama. B&H also had the same price, but they wouldn't let you order before they had stock and Adorama would. I wanted to get my name on a list such that I didn't need to worry about checking back every day - Adorama will just bill me and mail me the lens when its in. I had heard adorama and B&H were good. I also trust amazon direct but they actually didnt have as good of prices (and oddly enough, they didnt have stock but you could still order from them, and yet adorama and B&H werent even listed as vendors on amazon for this lens).

I ended up paying 1249 (USA, brand new version) direct from Adorama. This was the lowest price I saw for a brand new, USA version. (other than the fishy prices of under 1K from strange vendors).

I am guessing this includes the rebates? Can someone expound upon this topic a bit? I have heard little things here and there about canon offering rebates twice a year? Are they instant (ie Adorama already credited me) or do I need to mail something in? Forgive my newbie questions!

edit - @ John B. - The jury is still out on the filter. I have read the pros and cons both ways - protection vs potential degradation of the image quality. IF I do I will be sure to get a decent quality one, such as a hoya. I will most likely keep the hood on it and see how antsy I get lol. Knock on wood but I tend to take decent care of my stuff (I am overly anal I admit) so we will have to see. My original iphone has made it scratch free and case free since day one - hopefully i can pass the same respect to my L lens :)

Thanks,

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'd keep a filter on at all times if I were you. You can always temporarily take them off, but front elements always get dinged up a bit and generally smudged up.

I have one on my Nikkor 17-55 2.8, and it will never come off except to be replaced.

Are they instant (ie Adorama already credited me) or do I need to mail something in? Forgive my newbie questions!

As with Nikon, I think the rebates are instant and no mailing is needed.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Adorama's site lists that lens for $1349 *including* the $100 rebate. As in, it is normally $1449, but they have applied the $100 instant rebate.

What were you actually charged?

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks Luminosity...

Any specific recommendations on the filter? I know Hoya is good (though there are several lines right?) - Any other worth looking at? I will do a search or two on MR and google too -

And another dumb question - does the canon lens cap still go over the filter or does the filter make the lens cap impossible?

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Well, B&W is a top-quality maker of filters, but they're a bit expensive. Hoya is a good brand, and I have a generic Tiffen filter on my 85mm 1.8 (of course, it's not nearly as expensive as my 17-55). A Hoya guards my 17-55.

Every time you clean the filter, you can think to yourself that it would have been the lens you were cleaning, but instead it's on a cheap filter.

Lens caps are unaffected by filters :).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I've had the good Hoya super multicoated SHMC UV filters and I now have the B+W UV Haze 010 (MRC) F-Pro filters which I understand let in a tad more light (99.5% vs 99%) and have even less distortion. But at the end of the day the reason I'm going with the good B+W filters is that they don't seem to smudge as readily as the Hoya filters.

Even if you buy a cheap $15 filter it will protect the front glass of that beautiful lens you are getting. IMO, a cheapy filter would be fine for a kit lens but I'd definitely go with the very low distortion B+W UV MRC if I were buying something on the order of a 35mm f/1.4.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
And another dumb question - does the canon lens cap still go over the filter or does the filter make the lens cap impossible?

The filters usually (but not always) have the same threads on the outside as attach to the lens. Some wide angle filters (filters for wide angle lenses) have a wider outside thread to combat vignetting, but I don't guess that'd be a problem with a 35mm f/1.4; maybe someone here who owns one can offer more enlightenment. :cool:

So other than those specific filters, the same lens cap that attaches to your lens also works on the filter.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The filters usually (but not always) have the same threads on the outside as attach to the lens. Some wide angle filters (filters for wide angle lenses) have a wider outside thread to combat vignetting, but I don't guess that'd be a problem with a 35mm f/1.4; maybe someone here who owns one can offer more enlightenment. :cool:

So other than those specific filters, the same lens cap that attaches to your lens also works on the filter.

I've got one of these on my 35mm f/1.4. No issues with vignetting.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
some Canon lenses currently out of stock on Amazon and appear to have been that way for a while...

EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM (listed as currently unavailable)

something in it? probably not but still makes for an interesting list given most of these had been in stock almost all the time not too long ago.

Inventory = working capital tied up in stock
Credit crunch = squeeze on working capital
Credit crunch solution (for many businesses) = reduce inventory

I wouldn't be surprised if every point in the lens supply chain was reducing inventory - from Canon, to the distributors to the retailers. Especially for high value, or low popularity items.

Not a conspiracy, or rocket science...

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO

I wouldn't be surprised if every point in the lens supply chain was reducing inventory - from Canon, to the distributors to the retailers. Especially for high value, or low popularity items.

Correct, but ZERO inventory is a good way to see your customers go elsewhere as opposed to waiting some unspecified amount of time to finally obtain the item they purchased.

Maybe they are running at very very low inventory, but seeing as how long some of these have been showing out of stock I would be more likely to go through one of the other retailers who have it in stock than save a few dollars for an unspecified wait.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

I'm with jbernie, its one thing for smaller stores to reduce stocking levels, but Amazon? If anyone in the US of A is positioned to actually move lenses it would be them, and they don't even list themselves as out-of-stock sellers on a number of Canon lenses on their site. I still say there is something fishy going on at Amazon surrounding Canon dSLR gear...

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Guess we just needed to bitch & moan a bit :)

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM - now in stock
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM - now in stock

Maybe Canon had some supply issues and the smaller stores just got lucky and had a delivery with the last stock from Canon and Amazon got missed?

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
*Update*

Well that was fast! I just got an email that Adorama shipped my lens today. I wasn't sure how long it was going to be back ordered ( I heard stories of this stuff being out for months) but 3 days isn't so bad!

Side note - Before I got the above email, I saw this lens today on "Abes of Maine" - it was $70 cheaper, but based on the 50/50 reviews I read on that company, I am more comfortable with Adorama (plus the fact the lens is now in stock). Anyone here deal with Abes before?

In fact (and I have experienced this) Adorama is a little rude themselves though nothing I read had them pegged as dishonest. My first choice was B&H (same price as Adorama) but they also didn't have stock and wouldn't let you order in advance.

All of this is moot though if the lens shows up as expected - they are the only ones with stock at the moment it seems.

Anywho, going to finish up the book I started last night, "Understanding Exposure" and head out next week with the new lens in hand! The fiance and I are looking for sites for our wedding photos. Our photog (dont worry, we hired a real pro lol) suggested some places to check out - may as well bring the camera along too!

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
There are numerous canon lenses that haven't seen an update since their launch, many of them dating back to the early 90s.

However! That being said, I don't think I would be very surprised to see canon update the 50 f/1.4. My reasoning is because of Sigma. They suddenly came out with this great new 50 (albeit with some quirks) and it made the canon and nikon offerings look weak. Nikon responded pretty quickly and released a new 50, and I hear it's a damn good lens. Canon however is sticking to their guns saying the 50L is their answer lol. I would like to see them re-engineer the lens and give it true Ring-USM and get it to be sharper at f/1.4 and better Bokeh. I would absolutely buy one. I really like what the Sigma is potentially capable of, but you have to wade through so many copies to hopefully get a good one, it's just ridiculous.

I've owned two of the 1.4s, and I had the 50L. The 50L is miles ahead of the 1.4 in pretty much every category, but I just didn't use enough so I traded it for a few lenses.

I have a new 50 f/1.4 now and this copy is much better than my old one. So if they don't ever update it. at least I have a decent copy of this lens.

I've never heard of any problems with the AF just breaking, maybe if you're excessively rough with the lens sure it could possibly break. But It's been around since 1993 so it obviously isn't total garbage.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Many of Canon's other lenses have been out of stock for months now with no indication of when they will get new stock (e.g. 24-70 f/2.8L)

Canon is running a special right now on many of it’s lenses and – I believe – some of their bodies. I know in the past month I personally purchased the 70-200 L 2.8 IS and the 24-70 L 2.8 at a rather large discount of $200 and $80 respectively, both are great lenses by the way.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
If you look at sales of non-kit lenses I imagine that the percentage swings quite a bit as most people who buy a basic DSLR just use the kit lens and are happy with it. If they do buy another lens it tends to be a zoom, not a prime.

Very good advice. iThink that there are many like me that buy DSLR's out of frustration of point and shoots. And then, the next lens I bought was the largest telephoto zoom I could find for action shots. But the kit lens will suffice, that being said I'd like to pick up one of these. But not everyone takes the hobby as serious as many of the users on here. And I would venture to guezz that Canon makes a significant amount of money off of those that are satisfied with the kit lenses.

wal9000

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
Side note - Before I got the above email, I saw this lens today on "Abes of Maine" - it was $70 cheaper, but based on the 50/50 reviews I read on that company, I am more comfortable with Adorama (plus the fact the lens is now in stock). Anyone here deal with Abes before?

Funny you should being them up, as I'm dealing with them right now, and I'd advise you to stay the **** away. Most of the negative reviews I read had to do with them calling to confirm the order and trying to upsell you on accessories/warranties. A minor nuisance, but one I could accept for a lower price.

So, I place an order for a Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. It's listed as in stock, two days later they call and confirm the order, charge my credit card, and tell me it'll be shipping soon. I decline offers of a Mack warranty and various filters. Then it turns out "we'll be shipping soon" actually means "that's backordered, you're #5 on the waiting list, it'll probably be back in stock in a week."

Called them a week later, and "a week" actually means "we've got no ****ing clue and neither does Canon." Asked them to refund my credit card until they ship it, as consistent with the policy stated on their support page (Once your order is verified and ready to ship we then charge your credit card). No such luck, if I want it refunded I'd have to cancel the order and order it again. At their newly increased price.

Waited a bit longer while I looked into other stores, then canceled it. Was told it should take 1-2 days for the refund to show up on my credit card. It's now been 4. I'll be calling Visa later today (after I finally get some sleep...) and taking in up with them.

Last time I'll be doing business (or attempting to) with Abe's, and I suggest you stick with the more reputable operations. I'll certainly will.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the heads up - that sorta what I feared. I have had my fill of less than honest companies and the only way to put those types of places out of business is to stop ordering from them. Honestly even Adorama was borderline based on the almost confrontational nature of their phone support people... and i didn't even have a problem! Imagine if I did..

Of all of these shops, it seems like B&H is one of the few that get all positive marks. They also tend to be the cheapest, and probably will be my preference going forward.

Good luck getting your money back - you have to love the security of shopping with plastic huh? Especially in this internet age full of shiesters!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i have only ever used B&H for all my camera purchases. They are a straight A+ vendor.

My Favorite lens of all time was an EF-S. I had the 30D when it came out and bought the 10-22mm. Such a pleasure to use and man was it sharp. Granted, it took some practice to get great shots, since it is a wide lens. I actually liked it more than the 16-35L MKI, although they fixed the soft edges and vignetting at the edges on the MKII.

3 lenses that i would HAVE to have in my bag, would be the 24-105L, the 16-35MKII and the 70-200IS. now being able to afford all that is another story:)

also, i'm sure this has already been covered, but Canon doesnt come out with new lens on the regular. I think before the new 18-155(?..kit lens..), they had only come out with maybe 7-8 lenses in the last 5 years...

18-55IS
24-105L (w/5dMKI)
70-200IS
EF-S 17-55
50 f/1.0 (MKII i suppose)
the new lens kit..18-200?
800mm

New updates...
16-35MKII
85 f/1.2MKII
TS 25mm

I may have missed a few...
I would actually spend less money on a body and more on glass, as that is going to make a bigger difference.

wal9000

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
10-22mm just arrived an hour or two ago (from ephotocraft, much better shopping experience than Abe's... 9.83/10 on resellerratings, so it seems like a safe place to buy from), and it's now also my favorite lens of all time. Granted it's only competing against the 18-55 IS kit, but it's still a huge step up.

Saw a lot of people saying that it's near L quality glass with somewhat worse build quality, but never having owned any L, it feels damn well built. Haven't had a chance to get any amazing pictures yet, but it makes shooting skies a whole lot more interesting. Planning on using it a fair bit for architectural work and landscapes, and 10mm is amazingly wide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.