Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have heard nothing but awful things about Abe's of Maine (which makes me sad because it tarnishes my name! ;))

I've purchased things from adorama before and have never had issues, but I prefer to buy from B&H or Amazon if I'm buying new. If I'm buying used I go to forums, and keh.com

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I order more from B&H than I do Adorama, but I've have a fair number of orders from Adorama's sister company LeisurePro that sells scuba gear (also located in NYC) and they have always been straight up. I wouldn't hesitate to order from either Adorama or B&H.

also, i'm sure this has already been covered, but Canon doesnt come out with new lens on the regular. I think before the new 18-155(?..kit lens..), they had only come out with maybe 7-8 lenses in the last 5 years...

...the new lens kit..18-200?
The new upsell kit lens is in fact an 18-200mm; it is extremely versatile, has excellent IS and is surprisingly sharp. Since it is an 11x+ "superzoom" (I hate that word), it does have a few minor issues at certain focal lengths with CA and barrel distortion that pixel peepers will notice; nothing serious and nothing that DxO can't take care of if necessary (like the straight lines of a building at 18mm). My 18-200mm stays on the 50D except if I have a specific need for something like a true macro shot or a prime for low light.

I would actually spend less money on a body and more on glass, as that is going to make a bigger difference.
QFT!

10-22mm just arrived an hour or two ago (from ephotocraft, much better shopping experience than Abe's... 9.83/10 on resellerratings, so it seems like a safe place to buy from), and it's now also my favorite lens of all time. Granted it's only competing against the 18-55 IS kit, but it's still a huge step up.

Saw a lot of people saying that it's near L quality glass with somewhat worse build quality, but never having owned any L, it feels damn well built. Haven't had a chance to get any amazing pictures yet, but it makes shooting skies a whole lot more interesting. Planning on using it a fair bit for architectural work and landscapes, and 10mm is amazingly wide.

wal9000, I've taken some shots with that 10-22mm WA lens and I think its amazing, though at 10mm its *so* wide and has such a large depth of field that I have to rethink how I approach shots from a compositional perspective. Challenge is good, right? :)

Also, with only 95% viewfinder coverage on my 50D I've gotten about two dozen shots at 10mm with either the end of a tripod leg or the tip of my shoe at the bottom of the frame. Its that wide.

FWIW, DxO also works wonders on the 10-22mm if you need to straighten out a WA shot to "normal" perspective as long as you weren't at a very close focal distance.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I have ordered 4-5K of stuff from B&H and trust them entirely. If you ever have a chance, go see their store in NYC, it's pretty cool.

I have a 50/1.4 and don't really see what there is with the lens to improve. No sense is going to a wider aperture, that lens already exists and it would increase the price too much. I can't imagine Canon would make a new lens just to change the filter diameter. I don't know the benefit of changing the type of focus, it probably doesn't make that huge a difference. As is, the lens is near perfect.

I agree I would not get a 50 for a non-FF camera. I used it on my 10D and found it difficult to use. On my 5D, the lens makes a lot more sense.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I have a 50/1.4 and don't really see what there is with the lens to improve. No sense is going to a wider aperture, that lens already exists and it would increase the price too much. I can't imagine Canon would make a new lens just to change the filter diameter. I don't know the benefit of changing the type of focus, it probably doesn't make that huge a difference. As is, the lens is near perfect.

The bokeh is poor and the AF motor could be turned into Ring USM (which is faster), as opposed to the Micro-motor it is now. Its performance at less than f/2 could be improved somewhat, too...but just the first two would be a good start.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I guess the focusing could always be faster. I don't tend to find that a problem, but then again, I'm not using the lens for candids or street photography, which many people may be.

I will have to re-examine the bokeh, never really bothered me also, but maybe because I never really thought about it.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Im pumped, it just came in! I am going to take some pics this evening (try my hand at the evening sun as Mr. Peterson described in Understanding Exposure) and post 'em up. I took a few of my lovely fiance' while she was studying but my life was threatened if I posted them - something about not wearing make up (bah, looks better without it imo) lol.

Initial impressions - this thing is SOLID. Granted its the first L lens I have ever held, but this thing is a tank compared to the kit lens. When it focuses it doesn't make a sound, though you can feel the ring USM rotating with a very heavy, precise turn, and then a firm stop. Very cool geek p*rn indeed haha.

Thanks again for all the advice you guys/gals passed on above! Pics to come!

stevod

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
London
10-22mm just arrived an hour or two ago (from ephotocraft, much better shopping experience than Abe's... 9.83/10 on resellerratings, so it seems like a safe place to buy from), and it's now also my favorite lens of all time. Granted it's only competing against the 18-55 IS kit, but it's still a huge step up.

Saw a lot of people saying that it's near L quality glass with somewhat worse build quality, but never having owned any L, it feels damn well built. Haven't had a chance to get any amazing pictures yet, but it makes shooting skies a whole lot more interesting. Planning on using it a fair bit for architectural work and landscapes, and 10mm is amazingly wide.

Great lens and much fun. Essential for interiors /architectural work too. Enjoy!

S

stevod

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
London
I agree I would not get a 50 for a non-FF camera. I used it on my 10D and found it difficult to use. On my 5D, the lens makes a lot more sense.

Yes I almost bought one and for this reason went with the EF 28 / 1.8 instead - this one works a treat.

(I still have the 50 / 1.8 though.)

S

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Im pumped, it just came in! I am going to take some pics this evening (try my hand at the evening sun as Mr. Peterson described in Understanding Exposure) and post 'em up. I took a few of my lovely fiance' while she was studying but my life was threatened if I posted them - something about not wearing make up (bah, looks better without it imo) lol.

Initial impressions - this thing is SOLID. Granted its the first L lens I have ever held, but this thing is a tank compared to the kit lens. When it focuses it doesn't make a sound, though you can feel the ring USM rotating with a very heavy, precise turn, and then a firm stop. Very cool geek p*rn indeed haha.

Thanks again for all the advice you guys/gals passed on above! Pics to come!

Congrats on your first L lens! Let us know how that 35mm is working out. Now all you need to do is get a full frame camera... ;)

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Okay - so I went out last night on some errands with the fiance - while she was doing her thing I came across this odd statue in a courtyard. Not the most interesting thing ever, but it was fun to try out the lens. For those interested...

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3291.jpg
    IMG_3291.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.