Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Its has been released! Looks like we have a D300s killer on our hands :)

Hands on from Gizmondo, with video and sample pictures (at various ISO's)

http://gizmodo.com/5349829/canon-7d-dslr-first-hands-on-18-megapixels-24fps-full-hd-video-for-1900

The embargo at DPreview has been lifted, and this is what we got. The servers are being slammed at the moment, so the images are not us, at least this is my assumption.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090105canoneos7d.asp

Hands on preview
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I was really hoping it would be an 18MP full-frame sensor and that the megapixels war had finally blown over. If Canon can pull a rabbit out of a hat and make an APS-C sensor of that density with better noise handling and DR than the 50D, then I might be interested. Otherwise, not interested.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It needs the 1DmkIII's focusing system (or and APS-C version of it anyway), then I'd be concerned. As it stands I think I'd still go D300 and battery grip if I were looking for a crop body sports camera.

Nikon can do it (D300 and D3 have same focusing systems)

SLC

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
8 fps. That's encroaching upon 1D turf. If I were a poor sports shooter, I'd be interested. But then 18mp on a APS sensor...:(

Then again, the 1D Mark III was announced two and a half years ago. If this rumor comes true, then we might get to see the 1D Mark IV along this one.

If this comes out, I might think about getting it over a 5D Mark II. Then again, I was really hoping to upgrade to FF.

Ah, wishful thinking...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I really wish Canon would simplify their camera lineup instead of adding another camera to it, if this rumour is to be believed.

Simplify the number of models and the naming conventions.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
I really wish Canon would simplify their camera lineup instead of adding another camera to it, if this rumour is to be believed.

Canon has the same amount of DSLR's as Nikon. both companies have 9 DSLR cameras.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
That camera wouldn't make sense: why would you cram 18 MP onto a 1.6x crop sensor? The 50D's 15MP sensor already has worse high-noise behavior than its predecessor. Plus, diffraction would set in earlier. And why break with the current numbering scheme? Single-digit = full frame makes sense. Double digit = advanced amateur/semi-pro. Triple digit = amateur.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
According to canonrumors.com, the author suggest a CROP body. I wonder if this is the case. If it is FF, I may have to upgrade.

Oreo, If it is indeed FF than I think this would hurt 5DII sales no?

Opinions?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
That camera wouldn't make sense: why would you cram 18 MP onto a 1.6x crop sensor? The 50D's 15MP sensor already has worse high-noise behavior than its predecessor. Plus, diffraction would set in earlier. And why break with the current numbering scheme? Single-digit = full frame makes sense. Double digit = advanced amateur/semi-pro. Triple digit = amateur.

+1

The 40D's 10MP 1.6x crop has vastly superior noise and linearity performance compared to the newer and more expensive 50D's 15MP 1.6x crop, as proven by dpreview. Canon has already demonstrated an inability to cram pixels and extract better noise performance. An 18MP 1.6x crop would just be pointless at this time. Then again, I have seen many semi-pro wedding photographers use 50D's so people must still be falling for this MP crap; why not bump the pixel count up even more? If they can get people to trade in their older cameras for a new model regardless of the new model's technical shortcomings, why not?

It would make far more sense technically to make it FF. The problem is that it would cost more and cannibalize sales of the 5DmkII

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

what's so difficult about Canon's naming convention? go complain about Nikon's. it makes no sense whatsoever. moreover, Canon is more or less using the same convention as the film models.

And why break with the current numbering scheme? Single-digit = full frame makes sense. Double digit = advanced amateur/semi-pro. Triple digit = amateur.

what? single-digit just means prosumer (or semi-pro, whichever you prefer)/professional bodies. double is amateur, triple is consumer, four is entry-level. the 1D series has APS sensors, in case you didn't notice.

According to canonrumors.com, the author suggest a CROP body. I wonder if this is the case. If it is FF, I may have to upgrade.

if you're putting so much weight into rumors, then you'd believe the supposed images of the 7D. look at the viewfinder bulge. based on that, it's way too small for anything but APS, be it -H or -C, unless they came up with some new design or use a crappy viewfinder.

I personally don't think 18MP and 8 fps go together, especially for a camera slotted below the 5D. in any case, there's no point getting worked up about some rumors when the official announcement is 3 days away.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Canon has the same amount of DSLR's as Nikon. both companies have 9 DSLR cameras.

what's so difficult about Canon's naming convention? go complain about Nikon's. it makes no sense whatsoever. moreover, Canon is more or less using the same convention as the film models.

Wow, both of you bringing Nikon into the discussion. I'm using Canon as an example is that okay? This thread is about Canon isn't it, otherwise lets being Pentax, Olympus and SONY into discussion? I'm not hating on anybody here, I'm just going to keep this simple.

You're both Mac users, surely you can see how Apple keeps their product lines simple. Compare that to Canon's line, or [insert your favourite here].

Below the 5D and the 1D series, what are the major differences between the SLR's. Enlighten me, pretend I'm not a photographer for a moment and tell me in layman's terms what are the differences.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Below the 5D and the 1D series, what are the major differences between the SLR's. Enlighten me, pretend I'm not a photographer for a moment and tell me in layman's terms what are the differences.

it's already been stated. but I'll say it again:

4 digits (e.g. 1000D): entry-level. basically a watered down 100-series so Canon could make it cheaper, making it easier for P&S shooters to get a foot in the door.
3 digits (500D): consumer camera. small, lightweight body with some more advanced features than 1000-series.
2 digits (50D): amateur. larger and slightly heavier due to magnesium (?) frame and high-quality plastics. few more features and improved ergonomics due to a rear control wheel.

the fewer the number of digits, the more advanced the camera.

for the North American market, it's not clear where Canon is going with consumer-level cameras since there's only been one entry-level camera (XS), but it seems like two letter will be entry-level and three will be consumer, and then digits for the more advanced cameras.

there's an overlap between the new and old model for a few months after every release, which is why the 40D was still selling after the 50D was released.

right now, there are seven Canon models: 1Ds, 1D, 5D, 50D, 500D, 450D, 1000D.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
it's already been stated. but I'll say it again:

4 digits (e.g. 1000D): entry-level. basically a watered down 100-series.
3 digits (500D): consumer camera. small, lightweight body with some more advanced features than 1000-series.
2 digits (50D): amateur. magnesium (?) frame with high-quality plastics. more features and improved ergonomics due to a rear control wheel.

there's an overlap between the new and old model for a few months after every release, which is why the 40D was still selling after the 50D was released.

right now, there are seven Canon models: 1Ds, 1D, 5D, 50D, 500D, 450D, 1000D.

You missed the point, I said in laymans terms. You haven't explained the differences to me as a person who is new to photography. Why should I care about build quality when all I'm after is image quality and megapixels, most people buy based on what they've been marketed then ask all sorts of questions regarding the specs.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
You missed the point, I said in laymans terms. You haven't explained the differences to me as a person who is new to photography. Why should I care about build quality when all I'm after is image quality and megapixels, most people buy based on what they've been marketed then ask all sorts of questions regarding the specs.

I don't see the difference.

3-4 digits means inexpensive, small, and plastic. 2 digits means more expensive, better ergonomics, and better image quality, even in the sense of more megapixels.

a Macbook is inexpensive and plastic. a Macbook Pro is more expensive, has a larger and higher quality display, and some more features. what else is there to explain?

we could always go into specific specs for the differences, but it's not any simpler for Apple's computer line. one computer has more RAM or hard drive space or whatever, one camera has a larger buffer or more FPS.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I don't see the difference.

3-4 digits means inexpensive, small, and plastic. 2 digits means more expensive, better ergonomics, and better image quality, even in the sense of more megapixels.

a Macbook is inexpensive and plastic. a Macbook Pro is more expensive, has a larger and higher quality display, and some more features. what else is there to explain?

we could always go into specific specs for the differences, but it's not any simpler for Apple's computer line. one computer has more RAM or hard drive space or whatever, one camera has a larger buffer or more FPS.

The difference right away is that I know how big a screen is. You can explain the megapixel difference for that person to turn round and say 'yeah but will it let me take good pictures'.

You can't go into specifics that's my point, no way would anybody talk about buffers.
I just think canon should have a 4 tier lineup and forget the numbering scheme and use words like Apple does.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
The difference right away is that I know how big a screen is. You can explain the megapixel difference for that person to turn round and say 'yeah but will it let me take good pictures'.

You can't go into specifics that's my point, no way would anybody talk about buffers.
I just think canon should have a 4 tier lineup and forget the numbering scheme and use words like Apple does.

If Canon when to a word based naming convention, they would be laughed at.

Alphanumeric have been a tradition in camera circles for decades.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/series_eos.html

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
what? single-digit just means prosumer (or semi-pro, whichever you prefer)/professional bodies. double is amateur, triple is consumer, four is entry-level. the 1D series has APS sensors, in case you didn't notice.
It's APS-H (1.3x) and not 1.6x. It's still a pro-body. with a non-1.6x sensor.

In any case, the specs of the 7D don't make any sense. It's more like a 60D (or 70D if you insist on the 7) rather than a 7D. Even if they went for a 1.3x sensor (something that's not in the specs), I'm still left wondering `why?' It's not clear who this camera is aimed for? Sports enthusiasts? Then it would cannibalize sales of the 1D Mark III. I think it's fake.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
If Canon when to a word based naming convention, they would be laughed at.

Alphanumeric have been a tradition in camera circles for decades.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/series_eos.html

As Mac users we should know too well that things can change. Computers for the most part still use numbers in their names.

I seriously doubt anybody would laugh at Canon.

You do know Apple still use Alphanumeric but they hide it from the end users?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I don't care is Canon calls it 7D, nor any other model number. I like the specs, and that's all there is to it. It should be a good one for sports, and birds.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
The difference right away is that I know how big a screen is.

no you don't, there's Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro. you differentiate the individual models with the screen size and processor speed.

with Canon, there's thousand, hundred, ten, and single digits. there's nothing to differentiate since there's only one model per class, old model overlap notwithstanding.

You can explain the megapixel difference for that person to turn round and say 'yeah but will it let me take good pictures'.

you don't need to explain any megapixel difference. if they're new and don't wanna slap down $1000+, there's the 500D and 1000D. if they're more advanced, there's the 50D. ALL of them will take good pictures, so there's no explaining anything about that.

I didn't get into any specifics, and I don't need to. the point is you don't have to get into any specifics to explain one model over the other.

you can go make your own cameras and call them what you like. meanwhile, there's nothing illogical or difficult about Canon's naming convention.

back to the actual topic.

Update: It looks like Canon 'borrowed' some Nikon styling on this one. I like it.

I don't see the Nikon styling...except for the extra few buttons, if you mean that.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Photoshop's a wonderful thing !! . I personally believe the 7D will be a full frame sensor , maybe 12-15 MP . Something to entice people to buy FF.
Assuming Canon retains its' numbering system , the second set of specs in the below link make sense.

http://photorumors.com/2009/08/07/canon-eos-7d-rumor/

I too believe that it will be a FF camera, perhaps without video, but faster than the 5DII. I lot of photographers don't have use for a video feature of the 5DII, but would like a faster camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.