Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
The 1D Mark III puts out 100 Mp/s (10Mp @ 10 fps) with dual Digic III precessors. Are the Digic 4 so superior that they can handle a 44% increase in load? (18 Mp @ 8 fps = 144 Mp/s) This would mean that it's just slightly slower than the 1D (8 vs 10 fps), slightly lower resolution than the 1Ds (18 vs 21 Mp) and with better video capabilities than the 5D Mark II. And ISO 12800? On a crop sensor? I'll believe it when I see it, although it makes no sense.

100% agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see Canon do this, of course, because they've clearly staked their interest in the "more-MP-is-better" camp when it comes to their DSLR lineup.

But it still makes no sense. They would have throngs of people lining up to buy one of two cameras:

1. An updated original 5D (so to speak...3D, if you like), with 15 MP or so, FF, ISO 50-12800, AF system from the 1DmkII or better

2. A 12-15MP 1.6x body, again with better AF system than the 50D

But perhaps they're selling enough 50Ds and 5DmkIIs to make these cameras unnecessary.

Strange.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
cheers. canon finally has something that competes with the d300...

This can be the only rationale for this camera. The D300 is a very popular DSLR, and the 50D really doesn't compare.

That said, unless they've done something magical with that sensor, the IQ and noise from an 18MP 1.6x sensor is going to leave a lot of people disappointed.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
"Still, since nobody here seems to have taken the 7D for a ride (judging from how wrong everyone was about this camera ), maybe we'll just see how it actually pans out when it hits stores in late September?"

Thanks John B. Probably the most sensible comment in this thread;)

While not a 50D owner, I've shot with it many times. I am incredibly surprised by the "exaggeration" of noise in the 50D. Hilarious! It's not that freakin' Bad! Good Lord....it is spoken like it measure like a P&S! The 50D is an excellent camera. It does exhibit a "bit" more noise because of it's pixel population, but give me a break!!!

To "assume" disappointment amongst the legions BEFORE we even know for sure what it is! It's obviously aimed at the sports/wildlife crowd...that's a given, if the specs are true. Certainly a 1D upgrade is on the way for the "other" photographers:) amongst us.

On a serious note though. The 50D is a great camera. We don't even know what the 7D is (or 60D). Why not wait until it is released, until we do know what it is, and until.....get this, WAIT until someone has shot a PICTURE with it! Then, maybe we'll find out if it is decent choice for whatever the hell you're shooting!

It's pretty easy to count the optimists/pessimists in the forum....and the Nikon fans! ;)

J

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Everything about the 7D seems Wow, just have to wait and see if the new photodiodes (new sensor technology) live up to expectations for low noise, high dynamic range, and sharper focus. But if so, Canon's got a real hit on their hands...and it may find itself in my hands too!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
DPReview hates Canon, because Canon won't give them advanced models before the official announcement (like Nikon does). They admitted to as much in one of their Canon dSLR reviews. I wouldn't put too much stake in a review from an outfit with an axe to grind.

Seems like their 7D review is based on a "pre-production model."

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I'm sold, an affordable solid upgrade to my 20D. Yes, I was hoping for FF, but the new viewfinder with LCD overlay, HD Video, 63 Grid Metering, 19AF, FAST AF (Finally, the Nikon'ites can shut up about AF), dual Digic... seems like a very solid upgrade.

Count me in.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
well guess what, it's weathersealed. Canon now has a logical upgrade path for APS-C shooters. now we get to see if Canon sticks with three sensors or builds its second line around a 35mm sensor, and if Canon expands the EF-S line to include professional and/or weathersealed lenses.

I'd be really excited if I were still using APS-C.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Everything about the 7D seems Wow, just have to wait and see if the new photodiodes (new sensor technology) live up to expectations for low noise, high dynamic range, and sharper focus. But if so, Canon's got a real hit on their hands...and it may find itself in my hands too!

If and only if the new sensor lives up to Canon's hype, I'll consider it. For the time being, I still want the 5D Mark II for the FF sensor (although the 19 AF points and viewfinder of the 7D would be nice). I'm more interested in the new 100mm f2.8L macro lens than the 7D, to be honest :p

Oh well, I'm not going to upgrade my XTi for another year or so, so I'll just see what I can get then.

BTW, there are sample pictures on Canon's site. Funny how the highest ISO they use is 200. :rolleyes:

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Imaging Resource has a good preview of the 7D including a look at image quality. ISOs 100 through 1600 seem quite clean, with noise showing up beyond 1600. Some "tight grain pattern" visible at ISO 400 and 800, but still high detail. Wondering how the production model will compare (will probably be very very close).

Initial previews of image quality are good (not great). Still have to wait for more analysis.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Imaging Resource has a good preview of the 7D including a look at image quality. ISOs 100 through 1600 seem quite clean, with noise showing up beyond 1600. Some "tight grain pattern" visible at ISO 400 and 800, but still high detail. Wondering how the production model will compare (will probably be very very close).

Initial previews of image quality are good (not great). Still have to wait for more analysis.

This 'High Noise' battle is just the megapixel battle of a few years ago - all hype, but in the end no paid professional is going to go into those extreme realms. Sure, it's great for birthday parties and paparazzi but really, who cares?

I'm pretty darn sure Canon isn't betting everything on noise that seems to get worse from previous generations. They obviously reacted to Nikon stealing a lot of the market and is now offering more AF, weathersealing and a few new features that no one has done before. Good stuff, very convincing stuff. They'd be crazy to match these new features with a sensor plagued by noise. Canon is on top (with Nikon) for a reason - they don't do stupid things. (they'll do mildly, slightly stupid :))

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
wow, its interesting to see that Canon says this (quoted from DP Review)
DIGIC 4 removes the highly noticeable colour noise as well as reducing luminance noise without loss in detail, allowing for very clean high ISO images. Even at ISO 6400 noise levels are similar to those of ISO 1600 from DIGIC III. Auto Lighting Optimiser is now also available during manual exposure, without any drop in performance.
So if it's as good as it seems and the ergonomic fits me, guess I'll be staying. Otherwise, hello D300

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
This 'High Noise' battle is just the megapixel battle of a few years ago - all hype, but in the end no paid professional is going to go into those extreme realms. Sure, it's great for birthday parties and paparazzi but really, who cares?

Who cares...a lot of people.

More quality at higher ISO = faster shutter speeds = more use with less than fast lenses

For example, if ISO 1600 looks good, you might be able to use that Canon 55-250 at a graduation , whereas before only 400 - 500 ISO looked good, and this might have made such a slow shutter speed or dark image that it was useless.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I used to think so too until I discovered Auto-ISO mode in which the camera picks the best ISO. I've taken a lot of high ISO shots in this manner, something I would not necessarily do otherwise. To be sure, many cameras let you limit the top-end ISO, but Auto-ISO mode has been a favorite of mine in recent months.

I'm pretty darn sure Canon isn't betting everything on noise that seems to get worse from previous generations. They obviously reacted to Nikon stealing a lot of the market and is now offering more AF, weathersealing and a few new features that no one has done before. Good stuff, very convincing stuff. They'd be crazy to match these new features with a sensor plagued by noise. Canon is on top (with Nikon) for a reason - they don't do stupid things. (they'll do mildly, slightly stupid :))
Noise matters to those who know. Canon's 50D has taken a beating because of noise. Do you have any reservations buying a 50D? Technicalities matter to those who know about them. And that's a good thing because technical specifications should improve over time as a complementary measure of progress.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I so want this camera, I think I'll get this one then later upgrade to a FF VDSLR. By that time there will be a 5D Mark II successor.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Noise matters to those who know. Canon's 50D has taken a beating because of noise. Do you have any reservations buying a 50D? Technicalities matter to those who know about them. And that's a good thing because technical specifications should improve over time as a complementary measure of progress.

yes, noise-handling is important, but it's of utmost importance to those who spend too much time looking at 100% crops and too little time printing. and for some reason, no one can understand that looking at a 10MP image at 100% is very different from looking at 15MP at 100%.

anyways, big step up for Canon.

I so want this camera, I think I'll get this one then later upgrade to a FF VDSLR. By that time there will be a 5D Mark II successor.

eh. the 5D is on a 3-year lifecycle, it seems. unless you're already thinking that far ahead...

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
yes, noise-handling is important, but it's of utmost importance to those who spend too much time looking at 100% crops and too little time printing. and for some reason, no one can understand that looking at a 10MP image at 100% is very different from looking at 15MP at 100%.

anyways, big step up for Canon.

eh. the 5D is on a 3-year lifecycle, it seems. unless you're already thinking that far ahead...

Yeah I am, by then the video functionality will be greatly expanded upon in the DSLR realm and I won't feel so bad about dropping 4-5K on a FF VSLR.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
For example, if ISO 1600 looks good, you might be able to use that Canon 55-250 at a graduation , whereas before only 400 - 500 ISO looked good, and this might have made such a slow shutter speed or dark image that it was useless.
At that point, it's the matter of getting the shot or not getting the shot. I never understood why people are afraid to use even ISO 800. A clean photo is no good if it's blurred. Bump the ISO and get the shot.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Seems like their 7D review is based on a "pre-production model."
So it seems. Chalk one up for "Phil".

I can't wait to see their noise comparisons, I'm sure they'll use wait to use ACR again like they did with the 50D review (vs. using DPP on release day).

Anyway, I'm sure you could care less, but this will be my new camera (pre-ordered from Amazon, but not a dime to your DPR buddies pockets). :cool:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
LOL, just checked the DPR site in more depth, they've loaded a bunch of the pictures from their 50D review. I think they really do write these reviews before they get a camera in hand! LOL!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Me too! That might be one sweet lens [with one sweet price] :D
Suggested Retail Price: US$ 1049.00. Sheesh, I paid less than half that for my 100mm f/2.8 USM (non IS). Isn't that like 750 Euro?

Oh well, with my ring light the lack of IS doesn't matter as much.

Speaking of which, I'm guessing they'll have to create a special adapter to make the existing macro lights work with the 67mm filter threads on the new "L" 100mm Macro.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
dpreview said:
DIGIC 4 removes the highly noticeable colour noise as well as reducing luminance noise without loss in detail, allowing for very clean high ISO images. Even at ISO 6400 noise levels are similar to those of ISO 1600 from DIGIC III

Judging from the small previews at Imaging Resource, I must say that ISO 6400 is about the same as ISO 1600 is on my XTi. I'd have to look at full size samples to be sure, though.

Me too! That might be one sweet lens [with one sweet price] :D

$1049 according to the Canon site, available in October. For that price, it has to be at least twice as good as my 100mm macro lens for me to consider it, and I'm not getting my hopes up. Not to mention that I'd need an adapter to get my Ring Flash to work with it.
It would be my first L lens, though, and a macro with IS would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.