Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloosqr

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
I have heard the same thing here is a discussion on the same topic w/ a quote from the d100 manual

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GPLU

here is a similar discussion

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DdJJ

that said its not like canon fd lenses work at all w/ EOS so nikon really still wins here..
Haha, AI and AI-S lenses aren't really considered a selling point for new DSLRs, are they? At least, for someone asking about which market to get into, I don't think they should worry too much about lenses introduced in the ~80s. Maybe I'm wrong.
In any event, it's impressive that he's managed to find one of the only incompatibilities with the Nikon lens mount system (why I posted the link to those charts.) However, the lens still fits to the f-mount and will still function with the camera. I have never used the non-cpu lens data menu on a pro Nikon in my life, and honestly, I doubt I ever will.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Hey.

Just thought I would provide an update.

Was in the camera shop for over an hour last night, asking questions, and holding the D80, 30D, and the D200.

All very fine cameras, but I just love the feel of the Canon 30D. I like the specs of the D200, and many of it's features, but I did not like holding it compared to the 30D. All cameras are above my abilities, so I'm sure any one of them would fit the bill, but I might as well go with the one that feels the best.

I'm going to wait a few weeks to purchase to see if anything comes of the 40D rumors. They even mentioned something about it at the shop last night, and the 30Ds are all going on sale, so who knows.

Thanks for all the informative posts. I'll upload some pics once I get the new toy.

Regards,

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
However, the lens still fits to the f-mount and will still function with the camera. I have never used the non-cpu lens data menu on a pro Nikon in my life, and honestly, I doubt I ever will.

Actually there are quite a few of us Nikon photographers who do use the older lenses; I myself utilize the non-CPU lens data functions in my D200 when I'm working with my Noct (58mm f/1.2), with the Tokina 90mm f/2.5 macro, the Lester Dine 105mm macro and my other older Nikon F-mount lenses.

There is a way that the AI lenses can be modified, too, to be used as AI-S, but I have not explored that avenue. Most of my lenses are current lenses that I've bought new, but it is nice to be able to pick up one of the rare "golden oldies" for specific purposes.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
All very fine cameras, but I just love the feel of the Canon 30D. I like the specs of the D200, and many of it's features, but I did not like holding it compared to the 30D.

Ah, then that (or the presumably upcoming 40D) is what you should get, since that feels right to you, good in your hands. Glad you took the time to handle all of them for a while!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hey.

Just thought I would provide an update.

Was in the camera shop for over an hour last night, asking questions, and holding the D80, 30D, and the D200.

All very fine cameras, but I just love the feel of the Canon 30D. I like the specs of the D200, and many of it's features, but I did not like holding it compared to the 30D. All cameras are above my abilities, so I'm sure any one of them would fit the bill, but I might as well go with the one that feels the best.

I'm going to wait a few weeks to purchase to see if anything comes of the 40D rumors. They even mentioned something about it at the shop last night, and the 30Ds are all going on sale, so who knows.

Thanks for all the informative posts. I'll upload some pics once I get the new toy.

Regards,

Congrats on making a choice. Just don't forget the 40D may not have the same feel as the 30D, though it'll make the 30D a cheaper purchase if you get the camera just as the 40D comes out.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela

You'll catch up to your camera's abilities :) And yes, if all of them have the features you want/need, then get the one that's most comfortable for you

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
From your requirements it seems like a high end fixed lens digicam would be ideal, travel, kids etc. My kids don't wait for DSLR fumblings and last thing I need when travelling is bag full of expensive delicate instuments to hike around. I went the other way from SLR to P&S - freedom! never looked back:) Horses for courses really.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Old school cannon vs Nikon fight, since u just want to use ur camera for family type stuff, I'd say go with the Nikon d40. Also the one thing no one can stress enough is try and hold them, I was going to to get the Xt till I held it and felt my hand immediately cramp up.

OO ya i am a Nikon fan, but what ever u get I hope u enjoy it :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.