Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Is it really? You can always bring a charger with you - most of the time I'm not working on a laptop for 10+hrs straight or whatever with no charger.

Another thing to keep in mind with the heavy 16 is that you also have a heavier charger with it to lug around if you need it.
That is true. The heavier charger will make it very uncomfortable to travel with the 16. Regarding the 14’s battery, I think I’m complaining mainly because I use the M1 13 and that has insane battery life. I’ve seen a good number of video unboxing reviews today and almost every single reviewer has commented on the chunk and weight of the 16. I honestly think by the end of the week, even the Pro reviewers will admit the 16 is way too large. I think Apple made a mistake.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Yes but the battery tho..If u travel a lot ,the rather poor battery of the 14 might be bad ,while the brilliant one in the 16 will help tremendously .
U can't always plug it in when you're on the go.besides you'd have to add the 96W charger in ur bag in such case,which would make the whole thing even closer to the 16" in terms of weight
Good point. How about just going/stick with the M1 13 and hope the M2 will be sleek/lighter and adequately powerful?

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
Hah I’m actually glad I opened this thread. Didn’t realize my configuration was available at the apple store. Cancelled my online order and having my 14” delivered to me tomorrow. Otherwise I’d be waiting another two weeks.

bdawwg

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2021
I have a 15" 2018 MBP now and I don't love taking that thing out in class and I have to be a little intentional when handling it. Looking forward to switching over to the 14" tomorrow. If it was staying at home, I would be inclined to go 16", but even still, I'm typically pretty close to the screen so my field of vision doesn't always let me see everything on the big screen at once anyway.

Here's a pro tip for figuring it out. If you have a bigger screen now, try simulating the size of the 14" by adjusting your window size. Takes some measurement/comparison/guess work, but I think I have a good approximation. Then change your wallpaper to black to give the illusion of working on a smaller screen.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
I know the majority of folks who will buy the 16 are real Pro’s but seriously, the 16 looks so bizarre. Imagine seeing that in a coffee shop. It will look ridiculous particularly when most other patrons will be sporting their MBA/MBP 13/14.
1. who gives a **** what others think and 2. actually. I think it makes you look more like a baller. I used my 16" today at a coffee shop.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
That is true. The heavier charger will make it very uncomfortable to travel with the 16. Regarding the 14’s battery, I think I’m complaining mainly because I use the M1 13 and that has insane battery life. I’ve seen a good number of video unboxing reviews today and almost every single reviewer has commented on the chunk and weight of the 16. I honestly think by the end of the week, even the Pro reviewers will admit the 16 is way too large. I think Apple made a mistake.
I never really understood the whole argument of battery life. With laptops you most likely always carry a charger with you so it's not really a big deal at all for me. It's not like a phone or a iPad which not all the time you have a charger with you since they are really portable

Reactions: nquinn and cardfan

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So something I can keep hearing on the forums is the better thermals and speakers in the 16" vs the 14" but I can't find anything describing the difference. Everyone says they are essentially the same other than the screen size and battery.

So is there a difference in thermals and speakers?
I think its an assumption about the thermals at this stage given its a larger machine which should mean improved thermals over the 14" - I guess we'll see more detailed benchmarks over the next few days.

Speakers-wise I think its also the same assumption but I'm also interested to see what comes out in reviews.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
This thread has me feeling much more comfortable with my choice of 14" (which was due for delivery yesterday but DPD messed up, so hopefully coming today).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I bought the 14 inch and this thing is at the sweet spot: bigger than the 13-inch but not too big to be put into a backpack. I’m quite sure with the size and weight the 16-inch will be out of my consideration if I need to take it out with me.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Because I need something that is all-day portable as well as powerful (and my laptop is docked much o the time, and when it isn't I'm carrying it from client to client), and most folks with comparable requirements to mine seem to be finding the 14 a good balance between the two, with a meaningfully bigger screen than the 13.

16bitplus

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2018
Having both machines here with me and going back and forth, the 14" for me is the sweet spot. Has all the power and ports I need, plus a screen big enough to edit audio and video off of.

I go back and forth between home and work (I run gym) at least 2x/day, so having to cram the 16" into my North Face Backpack (it barely fits) doesn't make a lot of sense. Also it feels like a huge slab in my back pack. Not heavy, but I would rather not have to get a bigger backpack just to house the 16".

Flux386

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2020
Is it just me or does the new design look sleeker in a 14" form factor? I feel like the proportions are just right on the smaller one.

Reactions: Suspenders

16bitplus

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2018
Is it just me or does the new design look sleeker in a 14" form factor? I feel like the proportions are just right on the smaller one.
Yeah, I would say that the 14" just looks more "right." I am sure they will sell more 14" than 16", but if this was mostly a desktop (and I wasn't hooking up to external monitor and moving the computer around all the time) I would go with the 16.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Been using the 14 for a couple hours and it feels more like the old 15 than it does the recent 13. It may be the perfect size. The 16 in pics and videos just looks too big. It reminds me of the old 17 inch
I always wished that Apple would release a 14" laptop, and now they have.

I've owned a 2011 MBA and loved the portability, but the screen was pretty "meh" (pre-retina) as was the computing power. The killer feature was that it was a great travel laptop, and at the time I was travelling by air for work all the time.

I subsequently bought 15.4" and 16" MBPs and liked the performance, but always found them a bit cumbersome to travel with (e.g. use on a bus/plane/lap) and needed a full-size backpack or messenger bag to fit them rather than a compact bag. They also rarely fit inside hotel room safes.

If I buy one of the new MBPs, I think it's time for a 14". At home or in office spaces it would be docked to external screens, so the smaller screen would only be an issue for extended periods of travel without access to an external monitor, maybe a few weeks a year.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Just got the 16" delivered, have been using M1 Air since a year... When WFH I have a 27" 4k screen so no difference here, but I work on shared desks a bit more when in the office these days (covid-adapted-offices...) so always wanted a bigger screen. But oh my, this thing is huge :) I actually don't mind the weight but it really takes a lot of space, also in the backpack... Will have to decide whether it goes back, a pity that the 14" has worse battery life, I like not having to take out the PSU at all with the Air (just charging overnight).
On the other hand 16" definitely looks nicer for cases like working from hotel or a retreat-cottage :)

Why it's always like this, decisions decisions... went through the same with M1 Air vs Pro...

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
I agree that Apple will sell far more of the 14" model, but the 16" is in many ways a hybrid of the MBP16 and former MBP17 - it's "unapologetically a workstation replacement". For people who either need the maximum power in a portable machine, or who spend most of the time without an external monitor, and who are not overly concerned with size and weight, the 16" will be a good choice.

And to fair, as someone pointed out, we used to regularly carry much heavier laptops (around the 5.5-7lb [2.5-3.2kg]) and not think too much of it.

pst23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2015
The largest MBP screen I had was one my parents purchased for me after I graduated from college in 2008. Since then I had several 13 inch laptops. I always wanted a 16 inch - but never wanted to pay the price. Well with the M1 pro being announced - I considered getting the 14 inch laptop. However, I said this time if I'm going to get a new laptop I was going to get the one that I really wanted. I got the 16 inch and I'm happy. Now I will say this laptop will not be carried in my backpack. LOL

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Good point. How about just going/stick with the M1 13 and hope the M2 will be sleek/lighter and adequately powerful?
Not as powerful processor.
No fans for sustained workload
Not as good mini led screen (cheaper,less zones and LEDs)
No pro motion.
No ports (i bet it with you)
White bezels
Smaller trackpad
Not as good sound
Not as good ram most likely
Etc etc etc

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I never really understood the whole argument of battery life. With laptops you most likely always carry a charger with you so it's not really a big deal at all for me. It's not like a phone or a iPad which not all the time you have a charger with you since they are really portable
The point is that with the new 16 u may not even have to carry a charger around ,don't u get it ?

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Just got the 16" delivered, have been using M1 Air since a year... When WFH I have a 27" 4k screen so no difference here, but I work on shared desks a bit more when in the office these days (covid-adapted-offices...) so always wanted a bigger screen. But oh my, this thing is huge :) I actually don't mind the weight but it really takes a lot of space, also in the backpack... Will have to decide whether it goes back, a pity that the 14" has worse battery life, I like not having to take out the PSU at all with the Air (just charging overnight).
On the other hand 16" definitely looks nicer for cases like working from hotel or a retreat-cottage :)

Why it's always like this, decisions decisions... went through the same with M1 Air vs Pro...
Do lemme know what you decide in the end haha
Oh i also have a 4k 27" monitor and i was thinking...if i get the 14 i will have to keep it.
However would it be possible to buy the 16" and return my monitor ? (I think i can return it ) ? Like the 16 is very big right ? Do u feel the need to dock it to your monitor ? Besides i know I'd be willing to use the Mac display more since it has pro motion 120hz as well as mini led (better brightness and contrast than my ips monitor)..the only reason I wouldn't do that is ergonomics maybe .

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Honestly, unless you aren't able-bodied or you are running/biking to work, the 16" weight is a non-issue, charger or not. Where it is an issue is if you're working in a confined space with little room to put the laptop down!

What the 14" has now done is given you the power of the 16" but in a smaller, lighter package. So everyone wins.

You also have to remember that the laptop is Apple's best-selling macOS device by a long stretch - but not everyone is mobile with their laptop. The biggest distance many of these laptops will move is from one room to another in the same house!

Reactions: PROFESS0R and wdb?

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Do lemme know what you decide in the end haha
Oh i also have a 4k 27" monitor and i was thinking...if i get the 14 i will have to keep it.
However would it be possible to buy the 16" and return my monitor ? (I think i can return it ) ? Like the 16 is very big right ? Do u feel the need to dock it to your monitor ? Besides i know I'd be willing to use the Mac display more since it has pro motion 120hz as well as mini led (better brightness and contrast than my ips monitor)..the only reason I wouldn't do that is ergonomics maybe .
Haha, that is what I consider right now... Do I need a TB hub, 27" monitor, external webcam, speakers, keyboard... or would just having the MBP 16" be enough? (have a small apartment and could save some space by having just a laptop...)

Sitting on the sofa and having 16" on my lap is amazing, going back to 13.3" air feels ridiculous now... Was never a fan of working like this but can definitely consider it with the bigger one, that display is great. But it also feels like a brick in the backpack :(

Please please apple, 15" macbook air... :)

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Haha, that is what I consider right now... Do I need a TB hub, 27" monitor, external webcam, speakers, keyboard... or would just having the MBP 16" be enough? (have a small apartment and could save some space by having just a laptop...)

Sitting on the sofa and having 16" on my lap is amazing, going back to 13.3" air feels ridiculous now... Was never a fan of working like this but can definitely consider it with the bigger one, that display is great. But it also feels like a brick in the backpack :(

Please please apple, 15" macbook air... :)
Isn't it too big to be on your lap ?
Ofc it's ridiculous compared to the 13.3,but I'm wondering how it compares to the 14.2"....
It's also a matter of cost,but if i return the monitor and stuff it's the same actually

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.