Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

After reading my post, which one would you pick based on the provided information?

• 16" 2019 MBP

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • 13" 2020 MBP

Votes: 48 51.1%

• Total voters

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
When you don't use the MacBook on the train or bus, you can add a large monitor or two, giving you much more screen space than the MacBook.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
The base 16” with i7 is the best value in my opinion. I don’t think you need 8 cores for programming, hence why you’re considering the 4-core 13”. But at this point I’d be disappointed if I got a 13” and then they released a 14” (with dGPU maybe?) in 6 months.

I agree with confined spaces, if you’re the sort of person that wants to use it on a bus or economy plane seats the 16” is basically out of the question. At least in Sydney train seats are pretty generous so you can get away with it on trains, except maybe during peak hour, but we haven’t seen that for a while and may never again (hopefully). The 16” is otherwise fine in cafes. You’ll look more professional if that matters! ;)

I wouldn’t bother upgrading RAM or graphics unless you really know you need the RAM to run a lot of VMs for instance. Instead, look for discounts on the standard configs (they are everywhere) and put any money saved towards AppleCare.

I kind of regret upgrading to the 8 GB 5500 graphics because I could’ve saved a lot getting a standard model with a discount, and discounts generally aren’t available for BTO/custom configs. There are very few applications or games that benefit from more than 4 GB VRAM and I don’t think I’ve used 8-cores outside of benchmarking (though if I ever decide to transcode video it may come in handy).

Just make sure to ask about return or swap privileges.

Last edited:

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I'm actually considering the 16" MBP. The two things holding me back on getting the 16" MBP is the 9thGen Intel chip and the slower 2666MHz DDR memory. The 13" has newer 10thGen Intel chip and much faster 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory.

Last edited:

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The 16” MBP is bad because you will be stuck on the weak intel GPU on the go (while the 13” has a powerful intel GPU). That is unless you want to kill your battery with the dedicated GPU playing video games in the bus.

And for most tasks on the go, single core performance > multi core performance. I have never seen anyone transcode videos on a train. So a 13” MBP is actually faster in a lot of tasks you do on the go.

So it is cute that the 16” MBP looks more powerful on paper, but for a portable laptop it actually is not.

I’d say the 13” MBP is the best laptop Apple has right now considering it has the form factor of an ultraportable laptop while still being as fast as the 16” in many real world applications (except stuff like gaming and video editing, but good luck with your battery life on the go if you do stuff like that)

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'm actually considering the 16" MBP. The two things holding me back on getting the 16" MBP is the 9thGen Intel chip and the slower 2666MHz DDR memory. The 13" has newer 10thGen Intel chip and much faster 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory.
If I buy the 16" MPB, I will get it knowing that I will be willing to sell it when they update the processor, RAM speed, and display. I am hoping that at that time other 'issues' might also be resolved. I"d probably only get the base model knowing I don't expect to have it for very long (and I may not even like it in the first place in which case I'll return it and get the 13.3" version).

Reactions: BoneHead001

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
If I buy the 16" MPB, I will get it knowing that I will be willing to sell it when they update the processor, RAM speed, and display. I am hoping that at that time other 'issues' might also be resolved. I"d probably only get the base model knowing I don't expect to have it for very long (and I may not even like it in the first place in which case I'll return it and get the 13.3" version).

Unfortunately, the candidate 10th-gen chip is only minimally better and doesn’t support LPDDR4. Thanks Intel!

I agree a new screen technology would be nice. I’ll consider upgrading my i9 16” myself when that happens. Maybe it’ll come first in the 14”.

wearytraveler

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2020
Maybe it's just me. I don't see the difference to be that large where I'd pick the 13 over the 16. I get it if you're on a plane a lot; picking the 13 would make sense (again, for me). I guess what I'm getting at is if I'm already carrying around keys, adding 2 or even 3 more keys to the keychain isn't that big of a deal. Either way, good luck!

mbp.jpg

Last edited:

masterhide

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
I decided to return my MBP 16 and order new 13 laptop, 16 MBP has so many issues such as coil whine and has been very noisy with external monitor. So there are no reason for me to keep it.

benredacted

macrumors member
May 21, 2020
I'm coming from the exact same 2015 MBP 13 and to a nearly-base (16GB RAM upgrade) 2020 MBP and I will say that the bezels on the new one are considerably smaller and more "modern" feeling. Not as much so as the 16" or the mythical yet-to-be-released 14" would be, but it definitely feels like a step up (as it should, after 5 years). My use case usually has me attached to a large display when at home doing "real work" and when using it as a laptop I'm doing more mundane things like Office, email, browsing, etc. that the 13" screen is more than enough for.

Reactions: iRun26.2

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Hi, I'm trying to make a decsision but I can't.
I work as a Frontend developer doing mostly programming.

Until now I've used an 13" MBP Early 2015 (core i5, 8gb ram) and it still works pretty fine.

But soon I might do some heavier development which will require more juice than that, that's why I'm considering upgrading, also a huge fan of True Tone.

For me portability and ease-of-use is a huge priority for me, I like to flip open the laptop wherever I might be and it should'nt feel bulky.

13" Pros
More portable

13" Cons
Thick bezels and less screen real-estate which might be more tedious for development using multiple windows.

16" Pros/Cons
Opposite of the ones above.

My gut tells me to go with the 13" as a can almost feel how I will think the 16" is too big. But then again, I've never used the 16" before and maybe I'd totally like it?

Can anyone here help me make a good decsision?
try in store? or someones 15" if not for anything but size...
[automerge]1590244521[/automerge]

Imagine giving someone an opinion without it sounding like an 11 year old kid in a "my bike is better than yours" thing...

Geezus has this forum always been like this and I missed it or is this a recent thing?

(OP this is not directed to you)

Last edited:

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
try in store? or someones 15" if not for anything but size...
[automerge]1590244521[/automerge]

Imagine giving someone an opinion without it sounding like an 11 year old kid in a "my bike is better than yours" thing...

Geezus has this forum always been like this and I missed it or is this a recent thing?

(OP this is not directed to you)

I'm confused.
OP asks for advice/opinions on a forum, which people have given in what feels like a perfectly respectful way, and mostly from the perspective of 'for me' or 'YMMV'.

What is it that you're finding objectionable here?

Reactions: jerryk

UnBip

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Many thanks for your answers guys, keep em coming!

That would be awesome, thank you!
[automerge]1589897128[/automerge]

Yeah I was thinking about that, maybe even plug an ipad to it and use that as an external monitor.

So, I received my MacBook Pro 16 on Tuesday. It's definitely bigger and heavier.

But, at the end it's not one is transportable and the other one isn't. I can now work comfortably on the computer without having it plugged to a monitor. This is a huge plus for me ( I'm right now outside enjoying my backyard, and can still be productive).
It's a matter of days to get used to the difference of size/weight to carry, but I feel that, for me, the 16" screen is worth it. And on bonus, I feel I just invested in a machine that will last me longer than the 13" + allow me to play some games in very decent conditions on the occasion.

I'm keeping it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have both. For development I prefer the 16" because of the addition screen real estate and power. I do a little web stuff, but mostly as front ends for ML backends I develop.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019

or

Last edited:

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I don't know how any one could be on the fence between a 13 and 16 inch. The price, size, specs are so different. I know that I do nothing that warrants carrying around the 16.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I don't know how any one could be on the fence between a 13 and 16 inch. The price, size, specs are so different. I know that I do nothing that warrants carrying around the 16.
My work warrants a 16” for some of what I do (the additional performance would be helpful for one current important project), however, that’s not what I want. I’d prefer something that is much more portable. I think I’d use it in more places. I am on the fence...

I’ve been told that if I get the 16” that “I’ll get used to it”. I actually can imagine that happening. But... I imagine me receiving the 16” and just being dissspoinred at how big it is. I think I’d be delighted to receive the 13.3”.

Reactions: C. Robert

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
My work warrants a 16” for some of what I do (the additional performance would be helpful for one current important project), however, that’s not what I want. I’d prefer something that is much more portable. I think I’d use it in more places. I am on the fence...

I’ve been told that if I get the 16” that “I’ll get used to it”. I actually can imagine that happening. But... I imagine me receiving the 16” and just being dissspoinred at how big it is. I think I’d be delighted to receive the 13.3”.
Great decision

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA

FWIW, my favorite Mac of all time, was my 2011 Polycarbonate White MacBook (no Pro). It was 13", about 2" thick, had user upgradeable RAM and 1.8" HDD, and a removable battery. It was the perfect size, small enough to tote around, but big enough where I didn't feel cramped using it. Ultimately, I had to upgrade to a "Pro" model, because of the lack of a real GPU. That was when I went to the 15" MBP, and have been there ever since. The 13" MBP (particularly the new 2020 with 10th-gen) sounds real nice, but the fact is the 16" is more powerful. If the specs of the 13" work fine for you, and you don't need a real GPU, then get that one. However, if you are like me, and really need the real GPU, you have no choice but the 16" (or an older 15"). Good luck!

Rich S.

Billiejoe87

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2020
I’m not a graphic designer, engineer or anyone who needs extreme power.

I do however love Mac OS and Apple products in general and would also appreciate being able to game in bootcamp on the side.

I think the 13 inch screen is great, but the 16 inch Macbook Pro is the only apple laptop with a discrete GPU. The cost and hassle of setting up an eGPU with the 13 inch Macbook Pro is what swayed me to the 16 inch. Both are great machines by all accounts and with the 14 day return policy you really cant go wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.