Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
OK. I've figured it out. If you start the media (Podcast or music) from the Apple Watch, then Apple Watch notifications play on the AirPods. Looks like this is as intended by Apple. I would have expected that both iPhone and Apple Watch notifications get played in the AirPods regardless of where I started the media.

Kerrodt

macrumors newbie
OK. I've figured it out. If you start the media (Podcast or music) from the Apple Watch, then Apple Watch notifications play on the AirPods. Looks like this is as intended by Apple. I would have expected that both iPhone and Apple Watch notifications get played in the AirPods regardless of where I started the media.
Didn't you discuss this approach back in October 2022? You have a comment that reads very similar to this one - but perhaps there is a difference that I'm not picking up, and if so, what is it?

I have tried this approach previously and yes it does work. But I found that by playing the music or podcast direct from the watch plus run the workout app puts serious battery usage and drain on the watch battery to the point that the watch battery is extremely low after a 2 hour workout like a walk.

I don't believe that this is intended behaviour by Apple as it goes against the notion of seamless transferability between devices when it comes to notifications.

Last edited:

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
Yep, I discussed that in October 2022. I forgot that I discovered that, and I missed that in reviewing this thread. 🙂

Yes, it definitely goes against the seamless transferability between devices.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
@Itinj24, I tried that and it did not work. Drat!

I set the watch to AirPlay to my AirPods Pro and the icon changed from white to blue. Once Fitness/Workout made an announcement, it still played from my watch. On top of that, the AirPlay to my AirPods Pro turned off (the icon change back to white).

Something is really messed up here.
I had an issue with my phone last night that took a reboot to solve. Maybe reboot both devices to clear the junk. Sometimes that helps with all weird behaviors, but, as always, YMMV

Kerrodt

macrumors newbie
I had an issue with my phone last night that took a reboot to solve. Maybe reboot both devices to clear the junk. Sometimes that helps with all weird behaviors, but, as always, YMMV
I've done heaps of reboots of both devices as well as gone through at least 3 full iOS and watchOS upgrades to no avail. I have also tested it across 3 different versions of Apple Watch (series 3, 4 and Ultra 1). For some reason, Apple does not see that this is a "feature" that should exist, as logical as it might seem, otherwise it would have been rectified in one of the many iOS or watchOS upgrades along the way.

Cowboy8467

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
I hate to beat a dead horse, but using the third party Workoutdoors app on my watch and my phone has completely solved this issue for me. It's a one time purchase for the app rather than a subscription and you get plenty of customization options, including the ability to start a workout on your watch while streaming music from your phone and sitll being able to receive workout alerts. You can also customize the frequency, type of alert, volue, etc.

Reactions: cfc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.