Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I use the AT&T plan on occasion. It’s great in rural/fringe areas but the speed is nothing to get excited about. Better than nothing though.

1X and no X are definitely nothing to get excited about. I think that the AT&T LTE, even though it’s only a bar or two, would work fine for me. We’re in the boondocks for sure, no electricity unless we run a generator, no cable, no internet (wifi hotspot only), only TV is PBS so we don’t watch (not worth running the generator for). I manage to stay connected, more or less, somehow.

Moolani

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Cellular, if you can afford the price difference and monthly plan. Not having to constantly set up a hotspot with your phone is worth it.

Reactions: baypharm

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I always get cellular on one iPad, for GPS, and because I don’t use public wifi for anything important like banking. I get only a small amount in a plan that lasts 2 years, as I don’t use it a lot. But it’s handy when you have to wait longer than expected somewhere, and a while ago I was in hospital for a few days and there was no wifi. Also useful in a power outage. I don’t like tethering, some people do, but I find it inconvenient, compared with cellular function on iPad.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Interestingly if you have an android I believe you cab use things like tasker to turn your hotspot on and off when you leave the house which is a way better solution than apple offer.

Waiting for the p20X to come out in the UK so I can ditch my iPhone X .

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
I am wondering what is the reason to use a cellular over the wifi? In many countries you can rent a mifi cheaper than a cell + data plan so I'm wondering why do people choose a cellular model?
I just went gung ho and bought the LTE version of 11 inch ipad pro yesterday. I will be stationed in South korea for the next 3 years and will put the data tablet sim with a unlimited LTE plan in this ipad pro and it'll be super useful for navigation and traveling around south korea. I will also carry around with me the samsung galaxy s10 plus android phone, anker large brick battery, gigastone battery/plug in device so I'm covered. Although I could have tethered from the android phone, the korean plans for tethering are limited and the ipad will likely use up more than 5 gb per month for me. So if you were in my situation, this would be it. Otherwise, if you're staying in the USA, getting a $20 plan +taxes/fees from tmobile with unlimited data plus other benefits would be ideal and if you think about it, if you will use it a lot without wifi, then its worth it and you can probably cough up less than $30 a month if you go out frequently with friends and spend more money going out drinking or starbucks if you do that kind of thing.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
for mini users do u get wifi or cellular?

I got Cellular. I had it on my iPad 3 and thought I’d miss it if I didn’t have it (and would lose a now discontinued for new customers free data deal.) It’s so much more useful on a Mini. I won’t be getting it on a bigger iPad again as I found that sometimes, I just couldn’t be bothered with carrying it around.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Cellular. The extra cost, spread over the useful life of the device is minimal IMO. Whereas the GPS and cellular functionality have saved me enough times to justify the cost. It really, really helps that T-Mobile offers great deals in USA. My iPad mini still has 200MB free every month for life. My current Pro is on the no-contract 5GB for 5 month prepaid. If I *had* to get a monthly plan I'd probably pass.

Reactions: rui no onna

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I use it on my 11 pro and it’s worth it to me...gets used at work and whenever I’m on the go.

script

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2015
My iPad never left the house yet, but the idea of knowing I can is pretty nice!

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Definitely another vote for cellular. Don’t always travel with my jet pack so I can stop in the car to check emails or do Skype calls when traveling.
[doublepost=1560675184][/doublepost]
I just went gung ho and bought the LTE version of 11 inch ipad pro yesterday. I will be stationed in South korea for the next 3 years and will put the data tablet sim with a unlimited LTE plan in this ipad pro and it'll be super useful for navigation and traveling around south korea. I will also carry around with me the samsung galaxy s10 plus android phone, anker large brick battery, gigastone battery/plug in device so I'm covered. Although I could have tethered from the android phone, the korean plans for tethering are limited and the ipad will likely use up more than 5 gb per month for me. So if you were in my situation, this would be it. Otherwise, if you're staying in the USA, getting a $20 plan +taxes/fees from tmobile with unlimited data plus other benefits would be ideal and if you think about it, if you will use it a lot without wifi, then its worth it and you can probably cough up less than $30 a month if you go out frequently with friends and spend more money going out drinking or starbucks if you do that kind of thing.

You will be amazed at how fast the cell service is in Korea. I was there for a year and loved it.

Reactions: Shadowbech

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
The sheer convenience of cellular on my 10.5" IPP is wonderful. Comcast internet goes down from time to time, and my IPP can serve as a hotspot for all the WiFi devices in my home, until network access is restored. I also find it strangely comforting to know I can go anywhere with the IPP and never worry about finding usable wifi. So in the end it's a little bit of necessity and a whole lot of peace of mind to stay with cellular ipads.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
For me I went with WiFi only model because for me I have access to WiFi everywhere I go. Also I wouldn’t want to use my iPad as a navigation system in my car and I have my iPhone for that. I don’t use hotspot either.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Wifi only if using at home and never go out and about. If you will be using it alot outside of your home then cellular as much more secure and reliable than public wifi spots.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I use cellular on my mini and while it's occasionally convenient when away from WiFi, I primarily chose it and use it for the GPS. The larger screen is more convenient for viewing maps, but the mini is still small enough to take it easily on trips.

sallenthornton

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
for mini users do u get wifi or cellular?

I was faced with this decision recently. I just purchased a new mini 5 as a replacement to my 1st generation 12.9 pro.. I chose the cellular version. I’ve had it on every iPad I’ve had except one and have enjoyed having data whenever needed. The mini is much more portable so it was an easy decision for me.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Has anyone been able to find a cellular Mini 5 for less than the $529 retail? I already have a free T-Mobile SIM in my Mini 4 that I plan to move over. Don't want to sign up with some provider and a new data plan on it. Thanks.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I regret not getting cellular - tethering is just not as fast or as convenient (but tethering speeds are really bad for me and wish I went cellular)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I had cellular activated on my IPP. I recently just cancelled the data plan since I wasn't using cellular much at all. It just wasn't worth the $20/month I was paying. Plus, I really only use cellular when I travel - now I'll just use the hot spot on my iPhone when I need a connection when wifi isn't available.

vish26

Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
I am equally in a big fix, not able to decide if should I go with the Only Wi-Fi or Cellular ? My Device will hardly leave the House, But I like the idea of having cellular just incase on occasions when I need one. And also I plan to keep it for a couple of years, So in this many years, I am sure there will be occasions where I will take it out, however I do not see that happening too much. What do you guys feel is going the Cellular way a wise decision ?

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
I am equally in a big fix, not able to decide if should I go with the Only Wi-Fi or Cellular ? My Device will hardly leave the House, But I like the idea of having cellular just incase on occasions when I need one. And also I plan to keep it for a couple of years, So in this many years, I am sure there will be occasions where I will take it out, however I do not see that happening too much. What do you guys feel is going the Cellular way a wise decision ?
I agree extra cost upfront for cellular version is not much more when amortized over the life of the device. It’s the monthly plan that really needs to be worth it for you.

Keep in mind tethering from your phone keeps the option open - it’s just 1 more step and can literally be done in 5 seconds.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I'm actually confused why some people here in this thread can't imagine that some of us prefer cellular over wifi only. don't they realize that some people have other needs/lifestyles/jobs?

flexibility when traveling is key. just go to a shop in any country and buy a cheap sim with 10GB data. and you get GPS with it. using your phone with hotspot requires a sim card for the phone anyway and just uses up the phone battery. renting a mifi as suggested doesn't work everywhere and you have to return it at some point which is a PITA because usually we're too busy, rush back to the airport and don't have time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.