Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I am equally in a big fix, not able to decide if should I go with the Only Wi-Fi or Cellular ? My Device will hardly leave the House, But I like the idea of having cellular just incase on occasions when I need one. And also I plan to keep it for a couple of years, So in this many years, I am sure there will be occasions where I will take it out, however I do not see that happening too much. What do you guys feel is going the Cellular way a wise decision ?

I made the decision largely based on the plan I would use with the iPad (maintaining a free data deal I already had, which is useful when away from WiFi or if I need to access anything private when WiFi is public. It’s also nice when there is a power outage/WiFi failure as I wouldn’t want to buy a monthly package only for the problem to be over quickly.) I could tether and have done so to try it out during the iPad’s return period, but kept the Cellular. I don’t have a phone bundle every month, but when I did, it was enough that I would end up having to ensure that portable battery chargers were ready as my phone isn’t known for having a great battery life at the best of times. That said, I would not pay for data every month and would go non-cellular in that event. If I go over my free data I can purchase some with the activation credit that was required for the account, so it works for me.

I have had my Cellular Mini for 2 months or so and have probably used it more than I used Cellular on the iPad 3 in a year. The smaller the iPad, the more I’d consider cellular as with the portability, you may find yourself taking the iPad with you when you may not otherwise have done. I would also be less likely to go Cellular on an iPad I wasn’t planning to keep for a number of years.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
i never understood why people get cellular, why not just use hotspot?

I know what some people are going to say, (no unlimited data, no hotspot etc...)

in that case for the cost of a new line and or the additional price of the cellular model add unlimited data to your plan?

so i dont have a second device to carry and a second battery to charge. its also less steps to connect.

I also have a true gps chip in the device

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
so i dont have a second device to carry and a second battery to charge. its also less steps to connect.

I also have a true gps chip in the device

So you’re not carrying a phone anymore? What app or service on your iPad do you use to provide you with that functionality, if any?

Cheers,
E.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So you’re not carrying a phone anymore? What app or service on your iPad do you use to provide you with that functionality, if any?

Cheers,
E.
I have service with T-Mobile and they offer a feature (app) called Digits, which gives one the ability to make and receive calls and texts on the same T-Mobile line as the phone.

I also have a line with the Hushed app. I paid $25.00 for a lifetime line, that allows calls and text. I just need to make sure to use it a few times in 6 months to keep it active. It works very well.

I have been using my mini 5 as my primary device lately and it has been working well.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I know what some people are going to say, (no unlimited data, no hotspot etc...)

in that case for the cost of a new line and or the additional price of the cellular model add unlimited data to your plan?
Would you use a smartphone without a data plan? Or perhaps disable cellular data on your phone majority of the time and only enable it when needed?

The iPad is my primary device and I use it a lot in places without wifi. For me, not having built-in cellular (with active data plan) on the iPad is just as inconvenient as not having a data plan on the smartphone.

Lol, wanted to test the claim of less than 5 seconds to connect for personal hotspot/tether. Waited 30 seconds and got this error instead:

Remote Hotspot Failure
Unable to start personal hotspot​

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I am wondering what is the reason to use a cellular over the wifi? In many countries you can rent a mifi cheaper than a cell + data plan so I'm wondering why do people choose a cellular model?
- GPS, and less devices to carry around
- many countries != all countries.
- in many Asian countries, there are plenty of prepaid data plans for variety of durations for cheap. I can buy data on per day basis as needed. Still cheaper than renting a mifi.
[doublepost=1561047934][/doublepost]

Why should I do that?
In many countries I’ve been, I can simply get a prepaid SIM for cheap and buy data when I need, even on per day basis. Why would I want to pay more on my current phone plan?

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
- GPS, and less devices to carry around
- many countries != all countries.
- in many Asian countries, there are plenty of prepaid data plans for variety of durations for cheap. I can buy data on per day basis as needed. Still cheaper than renting a mifi.
Yep. Last time I went on vacation to PH, I think I paid $2 for 2GB/7 days.

Built-in cellular is more convenient and it's one less device to keep charged. Due to its ginormous battery, the iPad also lasts longer as LTE hotspot (24+ hours) than a dedicated MiFi (4-6 hours?). We once got stuck in the hospital for two months. When there are only two available outlets and you're not allowed to use extension cords, you really appreciate having that extra battery life. Thank goodness we brought an Anker 6-port charger. As it is, we were already struggling to juggle charging of 4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 smartwatches and 3 power packs.

vish26

Suspended
Sep 17, 2012
And so I also do not have a Mi-Fi Device, that will have to be purchased separately if I decide to go with only W-Fi. And I agree tethering through a phone eats a lot of battery of the Phone. So what do you guys suggest should I go with Cellular or Wi-Fi Only ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And so I also do not have a Mi-Fi Device, that will have to be purchased separately if I decide to go with only W-Fi. And I agree tethering through a phone eats a lot of battery of the Phone. So what do you guys suggest should I go with Cellular or Wi-Fi Only ?
Consider this:

At $800/WiFi vs $950/Cellular for iPad Pro 11", that's an extra $12.50/mo over 12 months or $6.25/mo over 24 months.

At $650/WiFi sale price vs $950/Cellular for iPad Pro 11", that's an extra $25/mo over 12 months or $12.50/mo over 24 months.

The question is which are you going to regret more? Spending extra for the cellular model or not having cellular connectivity on occasions that you might want/need it?

For me, cellular's like insurance. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reactions: muzzy996

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The reason I chose cellular over wifi the last two times is the AT&T Next program. Apple allows a payment plan for a phone, but not iPads. The carrier is still the only way to finance an iPad.

I have not used financing in the last two years and just held onto the iPad I already have.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

I have a wifi hotspot (Verizon). It costs less for me to have two cellular iPads running on AT&T unlimited plans than the extra it would cost me to switch from a 2G plan to unlimited (Verizon), plus AT&T signal is better where I need cell service more. I’ve used the hotspot when I’ve been riding in a truck on the way to or from our camp. Having cellular iPads is WAY more convenient.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
can we install whatsapp in cellular ipad mini?
im trying if i can use my company line in the ipad mini :)

for now im using wifi only but i hotspot my s7... i have a free data sim... im thinking of changing this wifi model to cellular...

we have ipad air 2 cellular i seldom use the cellular but its a good to have feature when there is a time u need it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
can we install whatsapp in cellular ipad mini?
im trying if i can use my company line in the ipad mini :)

for now im using wifi only but i hotspot my s7... i have a free data sim... im thinking of changing this wifi model to cellular...

we have ipad air 2 cellular i seldom use the cellular but its a good to have feature when there is a time u need it.
No.
This is one annoying thing of the cellular iPad. It doesn’t have a phone function, and WhatsApp can only be installed on a phone device.

Gator1pk

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
WiFi only.

My iPhone X has unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited calls. My iPhone X has a built in hotspot that is active. No needs to buy a separate hotspot device. (My iPhone 6S had the same functionality.)

My iPhone is always on me. If I also have my iPad, outside my home. I turn on the hotspot on in my iPhone and iPad connects automatically to my iPhone. The iPad uses the GPS of the iPhone, etc. Why pay an additional monthly device fee for the iPad when I don’t get any additional functionality?

If I have my iPad without my iPhone, outside my home, then I cannot connect the iPad to the internet. I would need to either go get my iPhone or go a place that offers a free/public WiFi to connect the iPad to the internet. This has happened 0% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.