Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Over the last few weeks I have been building LegacyAI, which is a ChatGPT client built specifically for Mac OS 9.

LegacyAI allows you to access OpenAI's ChatGPT from your Macintosh Desktop. You can choose AI models, save conversations, and can set up your own customised proxy server (if required).

Requirements:
  • A Macintosh computer running Mac OS 9 (I haven't tested Mac OS 8 yet)
    Update: Mac OS 8.6 - 10.6.8 are now supported
  • Preferably a G3 Processor (prior PPC models are untested)
  • At least 16Mb Ram
  • 1Mb Disk Space
Download here

To download on an older Macintosh you can access the website here.

Attachments

• MainWindow.gif
    MainWindow.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 628
  • preferences.gif
    preferences.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Great work :)

Is there a reason why you chose OS9 and not OSX?
Thanks!! I often find it a pain when I'm working on a vintage mac and want to Google something, but can't find a result, or visit nested links etc. due to HTTPS restrictions. I built it for personal use but, it's turned out to be really useful for an internet restricted system.

I do have plans to build a PPC OSX version soon!

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Thank you! I'll upload to Macintosh Garden tomorrow :)

Thank you for testing @galgot that's great to hear!

Update!
A Carbon version is now available at the same link for Mac OS 9 - OSX 10.6.8.
Excuse the photo, I'm running a buggy Snow Leopard version that can't take screenshots...

Attachments

• IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    810 KB · Views: 238

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Over the last few weeks I have been building LegacyAI, which is a ChatGPT client built specifically for Mac OS 9.

LegacyAI allows you to access OpenAI's ChatGPT from your Mac OS 9 Desktop. You can choose AI models, save conversations, and can set up your own customised proxy server (if required).

Requirements:
  • At least 16Mb Ram
  • 1Mb Disk Space
Download here

Awesome!

Now we need an OS X port.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Thank you! I'll upload to Macintosh Garden tomorrow :)

Thank you for testing @galgot that's great to hear!

Update!
A Carbon version is now available at the same link for Mac OS 9 - OSX 10.6.8.
Excuse the photo, I'm running a buggy Snow Leopard version that can't take screenshots...

Ah, already here! Great, will try now on 10A190.

Reactions: greystash

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
View attachment 2199711

Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything stupid. I just wanted to know if it provides a "sane" answer.
Fortunately yes, they've build good "barriers" to these kind of dangerous questions.

Now I was disappointed by my question about the PowerBook G5 specs :

PowerbookG5.jpg

What ?!... That's just A1106 (not even a A1138) with a G5 proc :/

It's fun how it makes things up, the other day I've tried questioning about some obscure stuff like :
"How was the engine mounted on the single engine IAI Kfir Jet fighter" (engine is in the fuselage...),
the answer was:
"The engine in mounted on a pylon under the wing" (I suppose he meant like on an airliner)
Sure... So I asked how the thing would fly with one engine mounted as such, and under which wing ?
It kept answering it was perfectly fine, and the plane was designed that way for excellent performances :D

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Fortunately yes, they've build good "barriers" to these kind of dangerous questions.

Now I was disappointed by my question about the PowerBook G5 specs :

What ?!... That's just A1106 (not even a A1138) with a G5 proc :/

It's fun how it makes things up, the other day I've tried questioning about some obscure stuff like :
"How was the engine mounted on the single engine IAI Kfir Jet fighter" (engine is in the fuselage...),
the answer was:
"The engine in mounted on a pylon under the wing" (I suppose he meant like on an airliner)
Sure... So I asked how the thing would fly with one engine mounted as such, and under which wing ?
It kept answering it was perfectly fine, and the plane was designed that way for excellent performances :D
Yeah it can give some interesting answers at times! The latest model the app has access to is `text-davinci-003`, so it's not the best model but it still can be useful for the majority of simple questions. Just don't believe everything it says ;) Once I get API access to GPT-4 etc. I'll add support in

Reactions: galgot

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008

LegacyAI allows you to access OpenAI's ChatGPT from your Mac OS 9 Desktop. You can choose AI models, save conversations, and can set up your own customised proxy server (if required).

Requirements:
  • At least 16Mb Ram
  • 1Mb Disk Space
Download here

I love seeing people give love to legacy systems.

James Gryphon

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
I haven't used OS 9 for a while, but I thought I'd say that these types of dedicated programs for so-called 'web apps' are beautiful. If there were more of them, I'd face a serious temptation to return to the platform. Also, making it in Carbon is a stroke of brilliance; that way every vintage Mac user can benefit.

Reactions: Amethyst1

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Great work, OP! I really like the UI. Both versions ran great on my Gigabit Ethernet G4 running Mac OS 9.2.2 and Tiger.
That's great to hear! Thanks you for testing :)

One last update:
There was a bug which broke the update flow, so anyone using the version 1.0-1.1 (especially Carbon) apps won't download the correct updates. If you want to fix this you will need to download the new version (I know it's annoying :(). See the update notes here.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Great work, @greystash !
Just tried it on 10.5.8 on a G4 PowerBook. Works like a charm. Will try on 10.2.8 soon and post it here.
Just one ´lil bug: Once the internet connection (Wifi i.e.) is lost during a session, the app crashes and OS X notifies that it has to be closed. This can be provoked repeatedly...

Reactions: greystash
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.