Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
This is very cool! Looks like it relies on you hosting a server side proxy component that uses your OpenAI API key. Is it possible to share that component (and its source code) so one could self host it and use their own API key? Would it also be possible to make the OS 9/OS X app configurable to point to a different service side instance?

Without doing so, this project dies once you stop hosting it for everyone to use.

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for your testing @Larsvonhier!

@Wowfunhappy I will be releasing some guides on how I built this hopefully within the next week or two at Mac-Classic.com, so keep an eye out there.

@pipetogrep That's correct, however it does already have built in functionality to process all requests through a custom proxy server (if you've built one). The API key is handled within the proxy server so the app doesn't have any dependency on my proxy server or API key. I'll also post a guide on setting up a proxy server at Mac-Classic.com. I just need a bit of time to get things together.

SovietPony

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
Bug report:
Seems that output field interpretes UTF-8 as Mac OS Roman, so non-english text showed as garbage.
Input field works right at least on Leopard.

Reactions: greystash

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Bug report:
Seems that output field interpretes UTF-8 as Mac OS Roman, so non-english text showed as garbage.
Input field works right at least on Leopard.
Thank you! I'll look into this soon and will hopefully have a fix in the next update. Also, the app now supports Mac OS 8 - El Capitan, I had a half finished intel build and finished it tonight. I'll try a 68k build next :)

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
I absolutely love this handy little application, props to the OP! :cool: I've just tried it on my Mac Pro 2,1 running El Capitan and asked the AI some fun Mac related questions:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-11 um 15.43.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-11 um 15.43.48.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-11 um 15.44.43.png

So today I learnt that grating cheese with a Mac Pro is a myth :eek::p I've never really toyed with AI before but it actually is quite funny and intriguing.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Also, the app now supports Mac OS 8 - El Capitan, I had a half finished intel build and finished it tonight.
This is super great, thank you! I'm using it on OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

A couple of notes/suggestions for the OS X version. (I'm not familiar with UI conventions on Mac OS 8/9):
  • Consider adding an option to turn off the app's proxy server entirely, for systems that already have a system-wide proxy configured to deal with modern https. This would of course require the user to bring their own API key.
  • In the menu bar, I would encourage you to move `Preferences` and `Check for Updates` from the respective `File` and `Edit` menus to the `LegacyAI` menu, per Apple Human Interface Guidelines.
    • You might then also consider removing the Preferences button from the window, in line with how most OS X apps work.
  • The user probably shouldn't be able to press `Send` for an empty message!
  • Pressing alt+enter should add a line break, a la iChat.
    • Possibly also shift+enter, since that's what a lot of modern software does (although not Apple-preferred).
    • I would love an optional preference to make `return` without a modifier key always create a newline instead of submitting a message. A different modifier could then be used for submit: maybe shift+enter or command+enter. (Is there an established convention for this?)
  • It would be great if I could file → load saved chats!
    • But I absolutely love how chats are saved to files, and not some built-in database!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 1.24.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 1.24.04 PM.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
@Wowfunhappy Thanks for the great feedback! I'm taking note of all the bugs/feature requests so I'll definitely look into these when I get some more time :) I love Mavericks so I'm glad it works well.

Shift + enter should work to create a new line, but maybe a different method is required for the UB version.

I'll post again when I've made some updates

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Shift + enter should work to create a new line, but maybe a different method is required for the UB version.
My mistake, shift + enter does work! Option/alt + enter does not, and that's the standard combination for Mac-native apps, at least of this era (iMessage, OmniOutliner 3, Numbers '09, etc).

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
View attachment 2199872

Anything you say, mate...
Always amazes me how people say they use it as a tool to find answers in their job. Whenever I try it it with something even vageuly specific to my knowledge, it always comes back with some assertions that are just plain wrong. A simple bit of old fashioned searching for the facts on a search engine gives you the corect results.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Always amazes me how people say they use it as a tool to find answers in their job. Whenever I try it it with something even vageuly specific to my knowledge, it always comes back with some assertions that are just plain wrong. A simple bit of old fashioned searching for the facts on a search engine gives you the corect results.
This particular aspect of the future is grim - as with search engines, AI will dance to a particular corporate/government tune - your knowledge will only come in one flavour.

James Gryphon

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
Well, as it stands, the bot tells you what it 'thinks' you want to hear, while the search engine shows you what it 'wants' you to see.

Obviously the bot is pretty useless for specific technical details. But it's getting difficult to find decent search engine results too. 15 or 20 years ago, I was able to find an old Mac game solely by typing in the few vague things I remembered about it from my childhood. It took a long time, several queries, and going several pages deep, but I did eventually find it.

I haven't tried it lately, but I suspect that type of search would be impossible nowadays. If a relevant site were even still indexed (Google seems to be dropping more and more types of sites from their indexing), it would likely be buried in a sea of irrelevant, mediocre, or all-modern results. You have to be painfully specific to get Classic Mac-related results now, and even when you are, it still isn't unusual for it to randomly throw in a lot of results related to some present-day Mac OS software. This is probably part of why the bot bandwagon is taking off; search results are so bad that people figure that something, anything else has got to be better than that.

Either way, the answers you get are wrong, just by different means: the bot makes an attempt to address your question, or to at least pretend that it is doing so ("perception is everything"), but is often factually incorrect; the search results are good for what they are, but often don't answer your question.

The mainstream web started out with human-curated portals. As automatic content gets more and more worthless, I suspect (maybe 'wish' would be a better word) those may make a comeback.

Last edited:

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
The mainstream web started out with human-curated portals. As automatic content gets more and more worthless, I suspect (maybe 'wish' would be a better word) those may make a comeback.

I made one of those in Word. Saved it as an HTML file and the web browser in question (Safari or Firefox at the time) had it set to the start page. It had every link I would normally use back then over the course of a week.

Never had to use a search engine anymore. Never had to type a URL anymore. Just open the browser, click the link from my personal portal, and DONE.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Thank you! I'll upload to Macintosh Garden tomorrow :)

Thank you for testing @galgot that's great to hear!

Update!
A Carbon version is now available at the same link for Mac OS 9 - OSX 10.6.8.
Excuse the photo, I'm running a buggy Snow Leopard version that can't take screenshots...

Random question... but are you running SL on a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro?

Love your work, it's great!

Reactions: B S Magnet

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Random question... but are you running SL on a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro?

Love your work, it's great!
Thanks!

Yes I am, I got it booting with a patched mach_kernel and it is insanely fast. The only sad thing is that the GPU is unsupported and I haven't been able to figure out how to get any functionality out of it yet.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Awesome! Just tried it on my 867 mhz 12" PowerBook G4. Works great, thank you very much!

I actually tried ChatGPT for the first time now on my old PowerPC laptop. I wanted to do so a couple of months ago via browser on my mbp. When I had to create an account it just felt wrong to have to prove to an AI that I'm a human. "No way, that's too awkward and kinda wrong in my book. I'll not yield to the rule of the machines! I'm a human being, I have value!", I thought and lost interest. I just read about its capabilities here and there.

Feels funny to try 2023s hype tech for the first time on 2003 hardware. :)

greystash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks @chaosbunny and @schorschinjo!

Update: LegacyAI 68k v1.0 is now available here. The 68k version is only compatible with Motorola 68020 CPUs and above. There have also been some improvements including the following:
  • Improved language support
  • Expandable window
  • Better network status visibility
These features will make it to the other builds when I have time.

If you come across any bugs please post them here.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
😍

Jack-Gittes-160523.jpg

Btw, the ability to enlarge main window is nice on the 68k version, you should implement it on the others too, if I may.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.