Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The chip details of 16 new Apple devices have been discovered, according to technical information posted on X earlier today by a private account with a proven track record of sharing accurate information about Apple's plans.

Apple-Silicon-Teal-Feature.jpg

Eight unreleased Apple devices with the A14 Bionic, A17 Pro, and M2 chips were among the list of chip identifiers (CPIDs). There are two upcoming A14 Bionic and A17 Pro devices, and four upcoming M2 devices. MacRumors believes they relate to the following products:

• A14 Bionic: iPad (11th-generation) in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations. The model number does not correlate to what the iPad (11th-generation) is expected to have, so it may be a modified iPad (10th-generation) in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations instead, or potentially a HomePod with a display.
  • A17: iPad mini (seventh-generation) in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations. This may be the A17 Pro chip or an A17 variant.
  • M2: iPad Air (sixth-generation) in 10.9- and 12.9-inch display sizes and in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular configurations.

If they relate to a new entry-level iPad model, the chip identifiers suggest that the device will not receive a chip upgrade in its next incarnation. The current, 10th-generation iPad already contains an A14 Bionic chip. The chances of this device being a HomePod with a display are slim due to model number trends, but the possibility cannot be ruled out.

The current, sixth-generation iPad mini model contains the A15 Bionic and some previous speculation suggested that the device would be most likely to feature the A16 Bionic in its next generation, so an A17 chipset would be a significant upgrade.

There were also eight more identifiers for two unreleased chips that likely relate to the four models in the iPhone 16 lineup and the next-generation iPad Pro in 11- and 13-inch display sizes. The next-generation iPad Pro is widely rumored to launch later this month and feature the M3 chip that Apple first introduced in October 2023. However, the sequence of identifiers raises the unexpected possibility of the iPad Pro containing the M4 chip.

The information suggests that the entire iPhone 16 lineup will feature the same A18 chip, corroborating previous reports. The source who posted the information told MacRumors that the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will still likely feature a chip branded as an "A18 Pro," even though the entire lineup of chips features the same CPID. The standard "A18" chip in the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus may have some binned or disabled modules to differentiate it.

Earlier this week, the source posted which iPhone and iPad models will be supported by iOS 18. The account prefers to keep a low profile, but much of its previously posted information and many of its claims have been proven to be true.

Article Link: Chip Details of 16 Upcoming Apple Devices Revealed

• Sad
Reactions: madmin and frou

juan_ozuna

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Wondering what this might mean in terms of release dates - could the iPad Mini possibly be released this month?! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Bring on those updates… a step towards my iPad Mini 9 or 10 purchase in approx 2029-30! Until then, 6 keeps on rockin’ as both tablet and 5G phone (cellular model with buds and VOIP app).

7 in 2024, 8 in about 2027, 9 in about 2029… buy… or stretch for the 10? My last jump was from Mini 2 to this 6, so next hop seems 6 to 9 or 10... UNLESS Apple rolls out something extra special before then, such as perhaps a Mini PRO model or a Mini Fold/Roll... or both in one: Cellular iPad Mini PRO Fold/Roll. 🎉

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: amartinez1660

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
It happened before with the 6th to 7th gen (both got an A10)

Thanks, you're right. There were 18 months between those releases too. I promised my Mum one for her birthday which was in January. I don't know whether to wait or buy the current model.

Last edited:

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I’ll take a HomePod with a big screen (and vastly better Siri, I hope). But I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You might want to pair a smart speaker plus perhaps big screen "retired" iPad to get what you want now and have much more flexibility on placement of those 2 parts... and utility... and upgrades. If you don't know what I mean, take an existing iPad and temporarily lock it down near a HP for a few days and see how you like that physical marriage of devices. My guess is we won't want iPad-type screens so tied down to one location and/or in one fairly limited use.

Odds are high most of us have iPads sitting in drawers that could easily handle the relatively basic functions of this hybrid creation of this HP w/Screen device. Un-retire them and have what you want now for much less out-of-pocket cost.

Else, imagine the scenario: HP w/screen will have to cost a good amount more than HP with no screen. Estimate that price: maybe $499 at the low, maybe $749 towards the high? When the price is revealed, what will the reaction be?
  • "I can buy a regular HP or Mini for music in the kitchen and then take the other $400-$600 and buy myself a new iPad that I can use all over the house and beyond."... or, again,
  • "I've got 5 old iPads that still work in drawers doing nothing. I think I'll get a cheap wall mount ($15 example) to put them where I would want this thing, put an HP nearby and thus NOT pay the extra $200-$400 for a screen locked to this one spot."
  • and so on.
This HP + Screen hybrid is appealing right up until you put an Apple price on it. Imagine that price and then re-evaluate the conceptual appeal vs. either of the above bullets.

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
They really have to find more methods to discourage people from getting the cheaper model since there's not enough reasons to pay extra otherwise. :p
They do, but to be fair they've done this for ages haha. They've also done 'A5X' and 'A6X' chips. And the iPad Pro before the M1 had the "A12Z".

There are even differences between M1 and M2 chips without naming differentiation.

An A14-chip, however, in the new base iPad would be a disappointment. After a few years, you'd expect an upgrade to A15 or A16 to give customers a feeling of trust that the device will last them for at least a few years.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
M4 in the upcoming iPad Pro.. now that would be a real surprise. No M chip has been introduced with an iPad. I’m doubtful but I love the idea of the unexpected.

Reactions: transpo1

Ecuadorexpat

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
I wonder exactly what the benefit is to the AVERAGE Apple user is for all these technological advances made since the M1 chip. Lots of hue and cry for the media, but I find buying used Apple products more than meets my needs at a much reduced price.

My iPhone 11, M1 computers, iPad 9’s and version 7 watches offer more capability than I will ever use.

Reactions: gusmula and Morod

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
M4 in the upcoming iPad Pro.. now that would be a real surprise. No M chip has been introduced with an iPad. I’m doubtful but I love the idea of the unexpected.

Can't imagine buying an M2 Studio when the iPad Pro has an M4 :)

Reactions: entropys

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
never really understood why the iPad Mini seems relegated to the A series chips and not the M.

The Mini is very popular and always strikes me as an 'iPad air mini' rather than a base iPad mini AND the price point backs that up too.

The mini not having an M chip - even an older one such as M1 or M2 seems silly and stops it being used for stage manager and external monitor support.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
No M chip but A5X, A6X, A8X, A9X, A10X, A12X/Z. A12X/Z is essentially M0.

I don't expect M4 though.

My iPhone 11, M1 computers, iPad 9’s and version 7 watches offer more capability than I will ever use.
I can guarantee you that this is a false statement, even if you don't think so now... unless you die within the next few years.

never really understood why the iPad Mini seems relegated to the A series chips and not the M.

The Mini is very popular and always strikes me as an 'iPad air mini' rather than a base iPad mini AND the price point backs that up too.

The mini not having an M chip - even an older one such as M1 or M2 seems silly and stops it being used for stage manager and external monitor support.
Personally I don't understand why the iPad Air has an M chip. Anyhow, IMO, the iPad mini needs an M chip even less than the Air, since the mini is so small.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gusmula

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
The iPad 10th gen already has an A14, and I doubt the next iPad Pro would get M4 while the MacBook Air would be getting M3 like the MacBook Pro

This is odd

Reactions: DB1989

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Personally I don't understand why the iPad Air has an M chip. Anyhow, IMO, the iPad mini needs an M chip even less than the Air, since the mini is so small.
Given the iPad Air isn't any lighter than the Pro and the new Pro is rumored to be a bit thinner, I don't know why the Air exists at all.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
The M chips are very power efficient and run cool relative to Intel equivalents, but they're not magic, they still produce heat which needs to be dissipated and consume energy. The Mini's smaller chassis and correspondingly smaller battery would struggle with an M chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.