Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie I

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2023
IMG_7016.jpeg
I actually do believe that the iPad Pro will get the M4 chip.

I would expect a press release this month for the M2 iPad Airs and a WWDC launch for M4 MacBook Airs and M4 iPad Pros.

M3 Max doesn’t have the UltraFusion connector which suggests that there won’t be an M3 Ultra so releasing M4 in March/WWDC actually makes sense to me

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Given the iPad Air isn't any lighter than the Pro and the new Pro is rumored to be a bit thinner, I don't know why the Air exists at all.
Serves to help move buyers up the pricing ladder to the iPad Pro. Compare the pricing after increasing store to 256GB.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
It's believed that customers were not happy with the regular iPhone 14 and 15 models being one generation behind in SoC compare to the Pro equivalents. That's why there will be two versions of the A18,
Do you really think most buyers know more care? Referring to those that don’t follow tech blogs, the ones that just want a new phone.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
View attachment 2354772 I actually do believe that the iPad Pro will get the M4 chip.

I would expect a press release this month for the M2 iPad Airs and a WWDC launch for M4 MacBook Airs and M4 iPad Pros.

M3 Max doesn’t have the UltraFusion connector which suggests that there won’t be an M3 Ultra so releasing M4 in March/WWDC actually makes sense to me

Bookmarked to see if you’re right or not . Wishing Apple gives us a date already for an revealing

But I will say this… micro architecture wise they first reveal to iPhones ( the last iPad which got a newer architecture before iPhones when it was revealed was the Air 4 before the 12 lineup due to COVID), and since M4 is based on A18 architecture yeah it’s very likely A18 will be revealed beforehand

What Apple should do is reveal an M3 Pro for an iPad Pro at least

Reactions: Populus

roundski

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
if the cheaper N3E is being built 9 months after the N3B surely apple would rather use it in all future macs, especially as they apparently tested the M3 mac mini last August…

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
if the cheaper N3E is being built 9 months after the N3B surely apple would rather use it in all future macs, especially as they apparently tested the M3 mac mini last August…
Remember that N3B and N3E designs rules are different, and their respective wafer layouts are not interchangeable. Moving a chip production from the N3B line to the N3E line is a big expensive time consuming process.

Reactions: Populus

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Do you really think most buyers know more care? Referring to those that don’t follow tech blogs, the ones that just want a new phone.
But I think Apple does care. With both the regular and Pro iPhone 16 models getting A18 variants, both models could share features like USB 3.2 1x2 speed data transfer through the USB Type C port and (supposedly) WiFi 7 support.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Bookmarked to see if you’re right or not . Wishing Apple gives us a date already for an revealing

But I will say this… micro architecture wise they first reveal to iPhones ( the last iPad which got a newer architecture before iPhones when it was revealed was the Air 4 before the 12 lineup due to COVID), and since M4 is based on A18 architecture yeah it’s very likely A18 will be revealed beforehand

What Apple should do is reveal an M3 Pro for an iPad Pro at least
A iPad wouldn’t have the cooling capabilities to run a M3 Pro CPU

Reactions: Chuckeee

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
i dont accept that for a second.

The chips are tiny. There is more than enough space in the mini chassis to dissipate any excess heat...

... and how exactly do they manage that in the Vision Pro?........ if they can put it in there they can certainly put it in a mini.
And I assume you have more engineering background than the Apple design team?

rubaxter

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
If and When I buy a refurbished in 2 years, I'm sure I'll know whether or not to wait another year, with a still overspec'ed tablet good for media consumption, mostly.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I’d go with the M2 Studio & OSX anytime over an M4 iPad with the current severe limitations of iPadOS.
Very weird comparison, a high end desktop with no screen vs a tablet.

Zanc

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Very weird comparison, a high end desktop with no screen vs a tablet.
Is that responding to my comment or @madmin’s. For most use cases if you want productivity OSX wins leaps and bounds over an iPad. An M4 iPad, nice as it would be, will not provide significant improvements in functionality over an M1/2 iPad unless there is a corresponding major improvement in iPadOS usability such as multi-tasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.