Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Hey everyone,
I found my flashed 09/10 Mac Pro is restarting whenever I try to render in DaVinci Resolve. Im only attempting to render out 2 min Blackmagic 2k raw clips to prores. Ive tried different output options, tried using gpu option in resolve, reset pram, and tried rendering from and too different hard drives both internal and external, but still the same problem. CPU temps seem to climb pretty quick during render but not enough time to overheat before restart happens (only gets up to about mid 60's celsius and it happens in a matter of seconds).

Setup:
2009 Mac pro (flashed to 2010)
96gb ram (owc)
dual de-lidded x5690's
Titan X (flashed by macvidcards)

Any ideas????

Thanks,
Matt

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
I think it may be my cpu temps. It's hard to tell because when I start to render it restarts the computer too fast to see significant changes in temp but it looks like it jumps 10 to 20c in only a few secs. Using the macsfancontrol app, and setting the cpu fan temps to max, I can render long clips at high res easily without any system crash.

Thoughts anyone?
[doublepost=1469061255][/doublepost]Also, dunno why my fans aren't ramping way up during render without macsfancontrol installed.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think it may be my cpu temps. It's hard to tell because when I start to render it restarts the computer too fast to see significant changes in temp but it looks like it jumps 10 to 20c in only a few secs. Using the macsfancontrol app, and setting the cpu fan temps to max, I can render long clips at high res easily without any system crash.

Thoughts anyone?
[doublepost=1469061255][/doublepost]Also, dunno why my fans aren't ramping way up during render without macsfancontrol installed.

This is quite normal. The fan won't spin up until your CPU hit around 80C, and the fan will just keep the temp around 83-85C. Unless your heatsink is extremely dusty, or the thermal paste is totally ineffective, that's hard to over heat the CPU in just few seconds. On the other hand, it's relatively easy to climb 10C in a second when the CPU start to work (e.g. From 50C to 60C in 1 second). However, if 20C in 2-3 seconds, that is quite steep and may be something wrong (not necessary CPU overheat, but may be just a dusty heatsink).

If CPU overheat, you should able to hear the fan spin up. If the fan didn't spin up, most likely not CPU temperature related.

In your case, it's very easy to test if the cause is CPU overheat. Just run any CPU stress test. If CPU overheat is the problem, your Mac should restart in seconds as well.

If your machine can run the CPU stress test without problem, and the CPU stay at around 85C (or below) without MacsFanControl, then your Mac's CPU temperature and fans may be completely completely normal.

I am not sure if Resolve will stress our GPU as well, if yes, you can run Furmark to test if GPU cause the reboot.

The last hardware I will test before I go for clean install OSX + Resolve is the RAM. Only install 1 stick and run Resolve, test all 6 RAM sticks one by one.

If none of them shows any trouble. Or the Mac always restart with any RAM stick. Then the problem now actually pointing to the software.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
If I were in your shoes and seeing what you told us, I would try to reapply the thermal paste on the CPUs and reset SMC.

Even though it seems like the CPU temps get up to mid 60s C, it might not refresh fast enough, if the CPUs are overheating (though it seems unlikely)

I would also try to stress CPU with a different program like geekbench to make sure it is not Davinci.

Reactions: pat500000

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Heatsinks are spotless (no dust), thermal paste is only a few months old (reapplied a month or 2 after I installed the 5690's). Geek bench stress test gets them up to mid to high 80's without shutting down, and the fans get to about half speed. Furmark stress test showed no issues or high temps with the Titan X. It's just kinda odd that even after 30 min stress test the system never caused a shutdown. I tried resolve on bootcamp as well and the same thing happened; system rebooted itself. Even still, when I run the fans high during render, no issues. Also, cpu usage gets pretty high during render, but only about 2/3 of a stress test.
[doublepost=1469076592][/doublepost]
11avkw7.jpg

Moment of freeze before restart

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
And why weren't you doing this anyway? Titan X draws way too much power :/
I don't think (by default) resolve is gpu intensive on render, I think it's heavily dependent on cpu. Also, I think I remember asking macvidcards about the wattage pull but I don't remember his answer. Maybe he could chime in.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I don't think (by default) resolve is gpu intensive on render, I think it's heavily dependent on cpu. Also, I think I remember asking macvidcards about the wattage pull but I don't remember his answer. Maybe he could chime in.

He can't. He is now suspended for some reason, and can't post anything.

Anyway, if 30 min Furmark stress test cannot shutdown the Mac, I don't think Resolve can. I don't know any real world application can draw more power than Furmark.

Reactions: owbp

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Possibly took advice from salesboys that the card can be safely powered without modification.
:oops:
[doublepost=1469122020][/doublepost]
He can't. He is now suspended for some reason, and can't post anything.

Anyway, if 30 min Furmark stress test cannot shutdown the Mac, I don't think Resolve can. I don't know any real world application can draw more power than Furmark.
Furmark has the card at max according to the graphs, resolve shows about a third of that. I still think the cpu is the culprit. I think you are right that I am not getting a fast enough refresh to see what temp it hits before shutdown. It jumps up and AND down during render 10 to 20c, so if the last refresh I saw was 76c, it could very well have went over 90c.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
And I would like to confirm that if you manually spin up the fan before you start rendering, then everything is fine?

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
And I would like to confirm that if you manually spin up the fan before you start rendering, then everything is fine?
Yep. If I use a fan control app, and change the settings, it renders longer, higher res, graded clips without issue. If I leave them in auto, it will fail on a ungraded 1080 clip that is only about 30sec long...

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I've rendered thousands of hours of footage in Resolve on my oMP. Dual x5690s and Titan-X flashed by MVC. I have iStat Pro which has some fan control settings. I leave it on Medium for the most part.

On a 5-day job, i'll get a Resolve crash/restart about once or twice in 5 days.

What is a de-lidded CPU?

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
I've rendered thousands of hours of footage in Resolve on my oMP. Dual x5690s and Titan-X flashed by MVC. I have iStat Pro which has some fan control settings. I leave it on Medium for the most part.

On a 5-day job, i'll get a Resolve crash/restart about once or twice in 5 days.

What is a de-lidded CPU?
Integrated heatsink/cap removed from the cpu. 2009 Mac Pro's were shipped this way.
[doublepost=1469125024][/doublepost]What caused the restart on yours????

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Honestly I don't know. I never have time to trouble-shoot, and it doesn't happen often enough for me to care.

I have a 2012 5,1.

What does you KP report say when you start?
What version OS X and Resolve and nvidia and cUda are you running?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Honestly I don't know. I never have time to trouble-shoot, and it doesn't happen often enough for me to care.

You said you get 1-2 crashes every five days. If this was 1999 we could tolerate that. In 2016 that is not only very bad but any crash that regular could well be the death of your computer.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
You said you get 1-2 crashes every five days. If this was 1999 we could tolerate that. In 2016 that is not only very bad but any crash that regular could well be the death of your computer.

What would help out greatly is if I understood how to read a kernel panic report. Any tips on trying to decipher them?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
What would help out greatly is if I understood how to read a kernel panic report. Any tips on trying to decipher them?

The console generally keeps a good record of system activity. Go to the time the crash occurred, then read the activity. It should mention if a driver or app caused the crash.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Furmark on Windows has a CPU stress test as well, and sure enough it caused a crash. Strange how geek bench did not.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
First try with furmark CPU burner caused crash at 84c.

Second test caused CPU A to climb up to 96c and CPU B to 77c before I stopped it.
259vg9t.jpg

[doublepost=1469131354][/doublepost]
First try with furmark CPU burner caused crash at 84c.

Second test caused CPU A to climb up to 96c and CPU B to 77c before I stopped it.
259vg9t.jpg

sorry pic maybe upside down on your browser... :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.