Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
What are you using to analyse the load on the GPU? I am not aware of any reliable OSX app for analysing GPU activity and GPU temps.

That is a 250W card and as you know it's power envelope is higher than the cMP allows for (regardless of what forum salesboys are saying).

The power spikes of the Titan X can exceed 350W. Those spikes last a fraction of a second in normal scenarios but under a render load the spikes are much more frequent. The system is detecting the consumption and thinks the PCIE bus could be overloaded. The computer can shut down for safety reasons.

iStat Menus give memory, processes, and load average for GPU, however it doesn't give volts/amps or temps as I'm sure you already know. I couldn't find anything on OS X that gave third party GPU temps and wattage either, only on windows. I emailed the makers of iSTAT about this, they asked for some logs but that was the last heard lol.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
hwsensors can give that info but it's a bit complex for me, only official osx cards report temps (i think).
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/
(read up before you use that app, last time i looked if you wanted to get more complex GPU info on PC cards you had to install a extra bit that brakes some outhere readings).
id relay just send macvideo cards an email if thats where you got your card.

what version of resolve are you using?

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
A hot GPU can also contribute to added CPU temps. Particularly the GPU coolers that don't exhaust the heat out of the case.
On OSX, obviously I can't monitor GPU temps, but I did see how hot it was to the touch compared to fur mark stress test (on windows), and it feels no where near as hot transcoding in resolve as oppose to fur mark stress test. During fur mark test, the GPU reached 86c and seemed to cap at that temp, it almost feels like it can burn you, especially towards the back end of the card. HoT Hot Hot...
[doublepost=1469294790][/doublepost]
Sorry, I am not an expert in this area and not very clear about the terms. However, my understanding is that rendering is done mainly by GPU, but encoding (export) is done by CPU, am I correct?
Indeed, thanks for the correction.
[doublepost=1469294912][/doublepost]
hwsensors can give that info but it's a bit complex for me, only official osx cards report temps (i think).
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/

id relay just send macvideo cards an email if thats where you got your card.

what version of resolve are you using?
tried hwsensors, everything worked fine, except GPU temp. Couldn't get it to give an accurate reading. It always read 85c and never changed.

Im using 12.5 studio. I think it just recently had an update. While troubleshooting, I tried to install Resolve on another copy of El Cap, and there are some minor visual differences.

Last edited:

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
what version of resolver are you on? have you tried downgrading to the last version (or if your on a old version upgrading? but do keep backup's if your mid project this might give you problems if anything brakes so keep backups etc..)

one simple thing to do is just pull the titan x and insert your old GPU for your export.

PS for hwsensors if you want GPU info you have to read up before you do it as the basic install will not give you that info but last time i looked at it was a long time ago so im behind on it.
it used to install a fakesmc (i think) which stopped fan speed from being reported but let you get full info on the GPU but this may have changed and i was never brave or bothered to relay try it.
as always i will add backup your os before you mess around with it if your working on something mid project, i only mess around with stuff like this post project hand off.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
what version of resolver are you on? have you tried downgrading to the last version (or if your on a old version upgrading? but do keep backup's if your mid project this might give you problems if anything brakes so keep backups etc..)

one simple thing to do is just pull the titan x and insert your old GPU for your export.

PS for hwsensors if you want GPU info you have to read up before you do it as the basic install will not give you that info but last time i looked at it was a long time ago so im behind on it.
it used to install a fakesmc (i think) which stopped fan speed from being reported but let you get full info on the GPU but this may have changed and i was never brave or bothered to relay try it.
as always i will add backup your os before you mess around with it if your working on something mid project, i only mess around with stuff like this post project hand off.
I'm on 12.5, as stated in the previous reply, there seems to have been a "minor" update to it and I have both versions installed. I also tried, downloading resolve from the App Store, and the free version from the site. All showed the same issues. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with heatsink A, and not the gpu. Tests all seem to point to that being the issue. I think fakesmc can cause conflict on a non-hackintosh. Although, HWmonitor does state on their site that the Titan X is supported, however I couldn't get it to display temps correctly.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
If you could test Resolve in Windows you could get another POV. It would let you see if those Mac apps report power usage as accurately as Windows.
I'll give it a try tomorrow. I have a few hardware monitoring apps on their as well, which is where i did my furmark tests on the card. But I'm pretty sure I have some other apps that will give me volt, amp, and watt trends to look at.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
the 12.5 update has been reported to stress the gpu much more as well as using more vram, people with 2GB cards have been downgrading to the last version. if your GPU is the problem the extra use of it might have pushed it past the power limit.

+1 on trying to run it in windows, it also will let you monitor your GPU activity and ram use.

sorry i missed your version number in the post, must have been tired.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
the 12.5 update has been reported to stress the gpu much more as well as using more vram, people with 2GB cards have been downgrading to the last version. if your GPU is the problem the extra use of it might have pushed it past the power limit.

+1 on trying to run it in windows, it also will let you monitor your GPU activity and ram use.

sorry i missed your version number in the post, must have been tired.

I still couldn't believe Resolve can cause power problem if Furmark cannot.
However, not sure if running out of VRAM may cause the crash / reboot.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
An app called gpu-z for Windows gave me some stats to look at while running resolve and furmark. Running furmark showed 99% power consumption, whereas transcoding in resolve rendered only about 55% power consumption. The app gives something called "performance cap reason", during furmark it showed the reason to be - "limited by total power limit", and during resolve test, it showed "limited by reliability voltage". By the looks of the trends I didn't see any spikes, however (luckily or unluckily) I didn't have a crash this time so it's basically an inconclusive test. If power spikes were an issue I wouldn't be able to tell, I ran it 5 times. But like I said, it's interesting it gave me info on performance cap. FYI, Running the 4K preset on furmark gave 34fps. I still think CPU A heatsink is my issue. Gonna pull it again tomorrow, and give it a close inspection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.