Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hi,

I can't get Continuity Camera to work without connecting via USB to my Mac mini. The Mac mini is an M1 and the I have an iPhone 11. Both have been updated this morning.

Connecting over USB is flawless but the Mac mini is supposed to be able to connect to the iPhone for Continuity Camera wirelessly but it just can't see the iPhone. In FaceTime for example, it is still asking for a camera to be connected if it's not plugged in via USB. I've been through the obvious fault finding tips like making sure handoff is selected on the iPhone and signing in and out of iCloud on both devices, turning them off and on again etc :)

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

SimonRobbins

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
I got the same, but the suggestion of holding the phone up as if it was mounted on the screen didn’t work for me. The first time, when it did work, it worked whatever way it was pointing, even up at the ceiling. When I closed FaceTime when it was working I got some message on the phone but unfortunately I didn’t read it very well. It was something to do with disconnecting the phone from the Mac, I think, which seemed reasonable as I had just closed the app. Anyway, I clicked OK and it hasn’t worked since.

SimonRobbins

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Just solved it, for me at least. Having got it working once I had unplugged my old webcam. Read on another forum that it only works if another webcam is plugged in. so I plugged my old webcam back in and hey presto iPhone now works as well. Seems like a bug. Only works with another camera plugged in. So I guess I just have to hide the old camera under the desk, can't sell it on ebay just yet☹️

SimonRobbins

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
Hi,

I can't get Continuity Camera to work without connecting via USB to my Mac mini. The Mac mini is an M1 and the I have an iPhone 11. Both have been updated this morning.

Connecting over USB is flawless but the Mac mini is supposed to be able to connect to the iPhone for Continuity Camera wirelessly but it just can't see the iPhone. In FaceTime for example, it is still asking for a camera to be connected if it's not plugged in via USB. I've been through the obvious fault finding tips like making sure handoff is selected on the iPhone and signing in and out of iCloud on both devices, turning them off and on again etc :)

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Try plugging a normal webcam in as well. Worked for me. I think it’s a bug. If you have another web cam you can switch between that and the iPhone. As soon webcam is unplugged you loose the iPhone choice as well.

Last edited:

wsqW

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
I had the same problem . My Mac studio M1 and Iphone 11 pro max
i hope it can be solved without buy another new iphone instead.

Last edited:

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Funny. MacMini, same thing. Worked the first time and then not again. TBH, probably wont use it that much but was more curious than anything.

Reactions: aviddk

SimonRobbins

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
I think the issue here is everyone who has mentioned their Mac has a Mac mini. Same with me except I didn’t mention it. All iMacs and MacBooks have a built in webcam I think. Mac mini doesn’t. This feature seems to work fine when I have another webcam attached and I can easily switch from that one to the iPhone, but as soon as I detach the webcam the iPhone disconnects as well and can’t be used.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Another user who cannot get it working, also with a MacMini. And I also don't have another webcam attached.

I was tracking my issue down to the fact I cannot get my iPhone XR to connect to the Mac via Bluetooth. If I try and connect after selecting forget my devices and I get the pairing numbers message, it connects for a few seconds then goes to not connected.

So this feature works if you connect the phone via USB with the lightening cable? Haven't tried that yet.

Thanks

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Another user who cannot get it working, also with a MacMini. And I also don't have another webcam attached.

I was tracking my issue down to the fact I cannot get my iPhone XR to connect to the Mac via Bluetooth. If I try and connect after selecting forget my devices and I get the pairing numbers message, it connects for a few seconds then goes to not connected.

So this feature works if you connect the phone via USB with the lightening cable? Haven't tried that yet.

Thanks
I tried connecting it via cable and no go as well. Just detects no camera. Most likey a bug.

SimonRobbins

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022
I tried connecting it via cable and no go as well. Just detects no camera. Most likey a bug.
Worked for me with a cable and also when another webcam plugged in as well. Mind you the only cable I have is a usb-c to lightning so I plugged it straight into the usb-c port on the Mac mini. I can’t test it but it may not work on the usb-a ports or on a usb hub as they don’t have the same capacity I think.

Reactions: aviddk

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Plugging in with a USB to Lightning cable works fine but it just won't connect wirelessly.
I don't have a web cam to try the solutions above.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Also unable to connect wirelessly and also on M1

Don’t have another webcam to connect 🤷🏼‍♂️

ics55

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I had the same issue yesterday. Today I tried connecting the IPhone 14 via USB and it worked. Then, I disconnected it and it worked fine wirelessly??

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I replied about this in another thread on the same topic but with a Mac that doesn’t have a built in camera, you need to connect a webcam over USB in order to use Continuity Camera wirelessly. That USB webcam doesn’t have to be doing anything but otherwise the Mac will only detect the iPhone as a Continuity Camera option if connected via USB.
I assume this is a bug in iOS, Ventura, or both.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I replied about this in another thread on the same topic but with a Mac that doesn’t have a built in camera, you need to connect a webcam over USB in order to use Continuity Camera wirelessly. That USB webcam doesn’t have to be doing anything but otherwise the Mac will only detect the iPhone as a Continuity Camera option if connected via USB.
I assume this is a bug in iOS, Ventura, or both.
Yeah, I saw that elsewhere, but don't have another webcam.

Am asking via Feedback if this is acknowledged as a bug and if there an ETA for a fix. Will post back any response.

Reactions: Starfia

alexanderwolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2021
Very strange — same exact issue for me with a Mac Studio using an LG Ultrafine 27" monitor. The first time I opened Facetime in Ventura it asked me to try using my iPhone as the camera. Looked great! Then, I closed Facetime and it won't offer me the option to connect wireless again. This was after I spent a good 25 minutes searching for a good mount that might work to use the iPhone in such a manner with my monitor! What a bummer. I do hope someone comes out with a proper mount though.

kuechi

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
I have the mac mini. I tired to call apple and they said you have to mount the phone which it doesn't make any sense. They didn't even explain why. I tried replicating the mount by just putting the phone on top of the screen while holding it with my hand, still doesn't work.

I accidentally just put my phone on my desk and put my phone standing 90 degrees horizontally and my camera continuity prompt pop up. I guess this is how you activate it for now.

PS: you have to open face time app on mac, I also have the mac mini m1.

mVICm

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
I had the same problem with my Intel Mac Mini but now I think I got it working wirelessly again.

The thing is to hold it steady, If I hold it in my hand it doesn't wok, it need to be on some steady place like the desk for example, but not flat, but like if it was mounted on a stand. I think it makes sense, but they could explain it with a message in the screen or something like this :)

In my case It doesn't matter if the phone is in horizontal or vertical.

Let's see if it's not a coincidence and it still working.

kuechi

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
I had the same problem with my Intel Mac Mini but now I think I got it working wirelessly again.

The thing is to hold it steady, If I hold it in my hand it doesn't wok, it need to be on some steady place like the desk for example, but not flat, but like if it was mounted on a stand. I think it makes sense, but they could explain it with a message in the screen or something like this :)

In my case It doesn't matter if the phone is in horizontal or vertical.

Let's see if it's not a coincidence and it still working.
I actually have a tripod, now I get how to activate it. as long as its mounted on something its gonna detect it. I just wish theres a mount for external monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.