Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I actually have a tripod, now I get how to activate it. as long as its mounted on something its gonna detect it. I just wish theres a mount for external monitors.
Yeah I’ve an external monitor too and as a cheap ass experiment I’ve ordered some plastic gooseneck piece of ****-looking thing to mount it on. It arrives tomorrow.

It will mount my phone to my desk, but if possible (and by the looks of it, should be) for aesthetic reasons I’ll probably connect it to my monitor arm instead. And if it works I will simply look for a nicer looking similar alternative that works the same way.

We shall see what happens

Reactions: kuechi

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I run my MacBook Pro M1 in clamshell mode, and I cannot get continuity camera to work at all. I have tried cabled connection between my iPhone 14 Pro Max and wireless.. the Mac doesn't see it.

Can anyone help?

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
Anyone know why the continuity camera wired in does not charge the iPhone when in use? I'm using a M1 MBP 16 inch plugged into an external 4k monitor using a Thunderbolt 4 hub. I have my iPhone 13 mini plugged straight into one of the usb-c ports on the MBP (Lightning to USB-C) and mounted on my external monitor. The camera seems to be working fine, but the phone is not charging while being used as the camera? It specifically says "Charging on Hold" when I see it in the video effects menu and the percentage seems to be draining slowly. The USB-C cable is Mfi certified and can do fast charging with no problem.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone know why the continuity camera wired in does not charge the iPhone when in use? I'm using a M1 MBP 16 inch plugged into an external 4k monitor using a Thunderbolt 4 hub. I have my iPhone 13 mini plugged straight into one of the usb-c ports on the MBP (Lightning to USB-C) and mounted on my external monitor. The camera seems to be working fine, but the phone is not charging while being used as the camera? It specifically says "Charging on Hold" when I see it in the video effects menu and the percentage seems to be draining slowly. The USB-C cable is Mfi certified and can do fast charging with no problem.
If I had to guess, I'd think it might be a thermal thing. I assume the phone gets rather warm when working this way.

Reactions: v1ctorS

v1ctorS

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2022
If I had to guess, I'd think it might be a thermal thing. I assume the phone gets rather warm when working this way.
I'm pretty sure it's related to thermals. I used to use my iPhone 13 Pro for video calls, and the phone would always get quite warm during the call.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Yeah I’ve an external monitor too and as a cheap ass experiment I’ve ordered some plastic gooseneck piece of ****-looking thing to mount it on. It arrives tomorrow.

It will mount my phone to my desk, but if possible (and by the looks of it, should be) for aesthetic reasons I’ll probably connect it to my monitor arm instead. And if it works I will simply look for a nicer looking similar alternative that works the same way.

We shall see what happens
Well, what do you know….this U-Green goose-neck contraption (link below) mounted just fine to my monitor mount, and CC does actually work. And the iPhone camera connected wirelessly immediately on FaceTime when mounted with the camera bump in the top right hand corner.

It has to be perfectly still, locked, in landscape mode, and with nothing detected by the wide-angle lens.

As expected, video quality is extremely good. Am impressed.

UGREEN Gooseneck Phone Stand for Bed Desk 360° Flexible Lazy Arm Mobile Phone Stand Compatible with iPhone 14 Pro Max 13 12, Switch, Galaxy S21 S20 A51 A21s, Redmi Note10, Huawei https://amzn.eu/d/6r1Kgo3

Last edited:

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Now it is working wirelessly as well (not sure what changed).

So: FaceTime, Photo Booth, and QuickTime Player recognize it. However iMovie and Final Cut Pro disconnect it on launch. Wonder if there is some reason for that, or whether the latter need some update to support it?

smklh

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2022
Stumbled across this topic while trying to make mine work. M1 Mac mini and it only worked on the first time by accident. After that no luck trying to get it working wirelessly until reading this thread.

What worked for me was having the phone locked with screen off, having the phone in the correct orientation (as it were in a stand) but being close to the Mac itself and not on top of the monitor etc., then opening Facetime. It didn't work if I opened PhotoBooth first, but if I opened FaceTime and then PhotoBooth it worked. Also it doesn't recognize it if you keep FaceTime open, you need to relaunched it to have effect.

PeteMR

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
I have a Mac Studio and the only way I can get Continuity Camera working wirelessly is to leave my Logitech Camera plugged in. Stabilisation and battery drain problem is solved by Blu-Tacking Apple MagSafe Charger to the back of my monitor. Also noting that using Apple Sidecar does not interfere with Continuity Camera (in my setup) but if I'm using Apple HomePods for audio output (i.e. AirPlay), Continuity Camera will not work. AirPlay limitation is not an issue for me as I use Apple AirPods during video conferencing. Image of my current setup included for reference - Logitech Camera is still plugged in and concealed behind the Mac Studio.

CCameraSetup.jpeg

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
I have a Mac Studio and the only way I can get Continuity Camera working wirelessly is to leave my Logitech Camera plugged in. Stabilisation and battery drain problem is solved by Blu-Tacking Apple MagSafe Charger to the back of my monitor. Also noting that using Apple Sidecar does not interfere with Continuity Camera (in my setup) but if I'm using Apple HomePods for audio output (i.e. AirPlay), Continuity Camera will not work. AirPlay limitation is not an issue for me as I use Apple AirPods during video conferencing. Image of my current setup included for reference - Logitech Camera is still plugged in and concealed behind the Mac Studio.

View attachment 2113638
You have to put the camera in landscape mode (on it's side), it won't work properly because Apple made some weird requirement that the phone be in landscape mode, locked, and cannot be moving before it will show up as a web-cam option.

PeteMR

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
You have to put the camera in landscape mode (on it's side), it won't work properly because Apple made some weird requirement that the phone be in landscape mode, locked, and cannot be moving before it will show up as a web-cam option.
You are absolutely right @squarebreathing, many thanks!!! I've disconnected my old Logitech camera and now simply attach my iPhone to the MagSafe charger in landscape mode and video begins working in the app I'm using after about 3 seconds (showing a close-up of the back of my monitor). From there I simply rotate the camera into vertical mode and all works as it should - MagSafe and iPhone case magnets are strong enough to allow a smooth rotation. I also note that even though the iPhone is in a vertical orientation, the video capture is still landscape. Really happy with this solution and the fact I no longer need to use a ring light, or close my window blinds as Centre Stage and Studio Light work so well. An added bonus is no ugly camera attached to the top of my screen 24X7.

Reactions: squarebreathing

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
Found this thread because my Belkin mount just arrived and the iPhone isn't working with FaceTime.

Also an m1 Mac mini user. The Mac is not under the monitor, it's about five feet to the right of it, which according to the Apple Support doc should work, but is not.

What worked for me: I moved the mount over and positioned it over the Mini -- just imagine an iMac, do that -- and it worked. Didn't even have to restart FaceTime, it just launched on its own as soon as I had it in the magic spot. Moved it back to its original position and it was fine. Quit and reopened FaceTime, it was fine.

Then after a few minutes, back to zero.

I will try the "plugin a webcam" thing. Will be annoyed if that fixes it, defeats the purpose.

sschemel85

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
Update: I was able to get this to work wirelessly by holding the camera up as if it were mounted on the back of my monitor (as shown in the instructions from Apple). I guess this position activates the camera. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213244

So I was driving myself crazy on what was the issue. And recently switched to using my phone in Portrait orientation. Wouldn't connect to my Mac Mini but would always connect to my Macbook. Read this comment and was like BS. Rotated to Landscape and 5 seconds later boom it works.

Tested it 10+ times. Portrait orientation it won't connect to the Mac Mini. Rotate to Landscape and wait about 5 seconds and it works like a charm.

So angry! But also so glad it's working now.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Same problem here:
Mac mini M1 + iPhone 13:

1) it worked the first time then promptly never worked wirelessly again on M1 mac mini
2) it work with cable connection on Mac mini m1
3) it work wireless on MacBook

I contacted the telephone customer service and they made me do all the tests including installing the operating system from scratch, I also went to the Apple store, but in the end everyone came to the conclusion to wait for a software update to solve the problem.

annchelle

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2023
Same problem here:
Mac mini M1 + iPhone 13:

1) it worked the first time then promptly never worked wirelessly again on M1 mac mini
2) it work with cable connection on Mac mini m1
3) it work wireless on MacBook

I contacted the telephone customer service and they made me do all the tests including installing the operating system from scratch, I also went to the Apple store, but in the end everyone came to the conclusion to wait for a software update to solve the problem.
Same issue, spent days online searching for a solution. Eventually I got it fixed!!!

I have an old unused still-working webcam, simply plug it in mac mini. All issues fixed!!! iPhone became an available option for both camera and microphone.

MacRumorUser78

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks to this and https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/fix-continuity-camera-not-working/ now working on M2 Mac Mini Pro. Not sure which steps helped. But cable is probably key based on message when I disconnected. I had also signed in and out of iCloud on my phone, rebooted Mini and iPhone, signed out of SharePlay. But not working at the moment after disconnecting. Relaunched FaceTime isn't helping.

Attachments

• continuity.png
    continuity.png
    33 KB · Views: 70

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Yup, same issue here on Mac mini M2. With cable FaceTime working fine. Without cable no luck with continuity camera.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
this situation is frustrating, incredible how it works perfectly on a macbook, but I don't need it because there is a built-in webcam, while on a mac mini it would be very convenient for me, it doesn't work...

ojmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
If Continuity Camera isn't connecting wirelessly, here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check compatibility: Ensure that both your Mac and iOS device meet the minimum system requirements for Continuity Camera. It requires a Mac running macOS High Sierra or later and an iPhone or iPad with iOS 12 or later.

2. Enable Handoff: On your Mac, go to System Preferences > General and make sure "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices" is enabled. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff and ensure Handoff is turned on.

3. Check Bluetooth and Wi-Fi: On both devices, verify that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are turned on and connected to the same network. Sometimes, simply restarting Bluetooth on your devices can resolve connectivity issues.

4. Sign in to iCloud: Make sure you are signed in to the same iCloud account on both your Mac and iOS device. Continuity Camera relies on iCloud to establish a connection between devices.

5. Restart devices: Try restarting both your Mac and iOS device. This can help resolve temporary glitches or connectivity issues.

If the issue persists, you may want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance or explore alternative methods such as connecting your devices via a USB cable.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
If Continuity Camera isn't connecting wirelessly, here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check compatibility: Ensure that both your Mac and iOS device meet the minimum system requirements for Continuity Camera. It requires a Mac running macOS High Sierra or later and an iPhone or iPad with iOS 12 or later.

2. Enable Handoff: On your Mac, go to System Preferences > General and make sure "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices" is enabled. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff and ensure Handoff is turned on.

3. Check Bluetooth and Wi-Fi: On both devices, verify that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are turned on and connected to the same network. Sometimes, simply restarting Bluetooth on your devices can resolve connectivity issues.

4. Sign in to iCloud: Make sure you are signed in to the same iCloud account on both your Mac and iOS device. Continuity Camera relies on iCloud to establish a connection between devices.

5. Restart devices: Try restarting both your Mac and iOS device. This can help resolve temporary glitches or connectivity issues.

If the issue persists, you may want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance or explore alternative methods such as connecting your devices via a USB cable.

thank you for your support.
I had long remote sessions with Apple support, I have also been to the physical Apple store...
Nothing to do, it doesn't work and they can't make it work.

However, if I start using continuity with the iPhone connected via cable and then remove the cable, then it also works wirelessly.
All this doesn't happen on MacBook where it works perfectly straight away.

joshua05

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Computer science professor here, crossposting from apple.stackexhange. The network layer under continuity seems to be really picky. As usual this feature is designed for the everyday-user, not power users who optimize network configs.

I'm maintaining this list over on apple.stackexchange, please upvote!

https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...camera-clipboard-universal-cont/468298#468298

Here are my best practice requirements -- for this guide I'll use a mac and iPhone as an example.
  • Both mac and phone need to have Wifi and Bluetooth on, signed in iCloud, continuity/handoff enabled, rebooted
  • iPhone must be unlocked at least one time after reboot (not waiting for first unlock)
  • Both mac and phone need up to 5 minutes on wifi after reboot to ensure bonjour discovery
  • Both mac and phone need to be on same wifi network, actively connected (wifi on but disconnected rarely worked)
  • Both mac and phone must be able to reach the internet (local wifi only rarely worked)
  • Phone must not have the cellular data "on whenever possible" (5G On) set in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data. For my 5G plan, I set this to "5G Auto" ("5G On" always will eagerly disconnect the phone from wifi).
  • Phone must not have "Wifi Assist" turned on. This was hard to find. Go to Settings > Cellular and scroll all the down... all the way down, then up a little. Wifi assist on will eagerly disconnect the phone from wifi.
  • Both mac and phone must use a DNS that correctly supports local bonjour name resolution
    • Google DNS worked (8.8.8.8)
    • Google Encrypted DNS via device profile worked
    • Cloudflare Family DNS did not work (1.1.1.3)
  • Both mac and phone need to be on the same wifi subnet/24 (first 3/4 of the ip, e.g. 192.168.1.x)
    • Phone on subnet 192.168.1.x and mac on subnet 192.168.2.x sometimes works, laggy
  • Both mac and phone need to have subnet mask /24 of 255.255.255.0 or less (not 255.255.255.1-255)
    • Phone with subnet-mask of 255.255.255.1 and mac with subnet-mask of 255.255.255.0 did not work
  • The router must have client isolation disabled, meaning it's LAN client subnet-mask is 255.255.255.0 or lower
    • Router lan client subnet mask of 255.255.255.1 did not work
  • Both mac and LAN need to have the same ipv4/ipv6 allowed setting (phone ipv6 and mac ipv4-only sometimes works, finicky)
  • The mac cannot be on LAN only (works for clipboard, not for others).
  • The mac cannot be on both Wifi and LAN. The mac ignored Wifi and uses the faster conn (works for clipboard, not for others).
  • For camera sharing, USB mac to phone will only work after wifi-wifi works. USB continued to work after shutting off wifi/bluetooth/cell on the phone, but not for future connections.
  • For camera sharing, try macOS Facetime first (Menubar -> Video -> Camera -> iPhone) (PhotoBooth is finicky)
  • For camera sharing, after selecting the Video -> Camera -> iPhone in the Facetime menu, it can take up to 5 minutes for it work, sigh. I found this when I shifted over to check email and it suddenly turned on.
To see failures / errors logs:
  • Open console.app
  • Click "Errors and Faults" top left under "Console.. messages"
  • Then over in the search bar after the MESSAGE TYPE boxes, click, then name of your other device (settings>general>about)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: snek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.