Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I have a situation with Verizon I wonder if anyone knows or has experience.

I preordered the X for Verizon with paid in full option. During checkout at Apple.com and after carrier verification it said I have to pay off my Verizon DPP iPhone 7 from last year promotion and there will be a $30 upgrade fee.

I don’t intend to pay off the iPhone 7 because of promotional credit. Can I just pop in my current Verizon SIM in the new X to avoid triggering an upgrade? My understanding is that one needs to activate phone and it will ask for your line info / SSN during activation. Is that what triggers the upgrade? Thanks.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
wow, u ordered it online? when u put in ur t-mobile sim, does it asking ur Verizon account info?
[doublepost=1509214166][/doublepost]
thanks, when u purchase the note3, did u being asked for Verizon account info?
The Note 3 was given to me as a hand me down. I popped in my AT&T sim and it worked instantly.

Then when I got Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile, it worked for Verizon but not Sprint or T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon just won't work with each other.

Not all 4G phones from Verizon will work on T-Mobile. It depends. Just like it's harder having an unlocked TMo and working on Verizon thanks to CDMA.

The best is really Verizon because they come unlocked and will work on AT&T and T-Mobile. It's the most compatible variant. But not all Verizon 4G phones work on AT&T and T-Mobile. You would need to look it up. There is a list for it.

More of Samsungs, iPhone, and recently Pixel. Like Verizon V20 will not work on TMo. When I used my Verizon-bought Pixel on TMo, it worked flawlessly. Just get Verizon iPhones and you have three major carriers to choose from minus Sprint.

asiqwdae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
The Note 3 was given to me as a hand me down. I popped in my AT&T sim and it worked instantly.

Then when I got Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile, it worked for Verizon but not Sprint or T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon just won't work with each other.

Not all 4G phones from Verizon will work on T-Mobile. It depends. Just like it's harder having an unlocked TMo and working on Verizon thanks to CDMA.

The best is really Verizon because they come unlocked and will work on AT&T and T-Mobile. It's the most compatible variant. But not all Verizon 4G phones work on AT&T and T-Mobile. You would need to look it up. There is a list for it.

More of Samsungs, iPhone, and recently Pixel. Like Verizon V20 will not work on TMo. When I used my Verizon-bought Pixel on TMo, it worked flawlessly. Just get Verizon iPhones and you have three major carriers to choose from minus Sprint.
"The iPhone 5c / 5s and newer from other US carriers/Apple stores are compatible with the T-Mobile 2G/3G/4G/LTE networks."
that's a statement I found from tmobile website

VoilaiPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
If you are having your Verizon variant shipped from Apple Store, then here's a thing.

The phone has to be activated with the Verizon credentials you used to pre-order the phone.

Simple sim swapping will not work as verizon authentication has to do with apple's server.

You can swap the sim before power is turned on and do DFU recovery to get past the activation screen, but they won't work.
[doublepost=1509430463][/doublepost]The only remedy to this is either 1) contact Apple support, and have them issue an engineering ticket to decouple the number associated with your phone or 2) activate the phone with the pre-loaded verizon sim with the credentials you used to pre-order the phone. Give that sim card back to the one whose credentials you used to pre-order the phone as the activation would likely deactive the current sim and service associated with his/her phone.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
If you are having your Verizon variant shipped from Apple Store, then here's a thing.

The phone has to be activated with the Verizon credentials you used to pre-order the phone.

Simple sim swapping will not work as verizon authentication has to do with apple's server.

You can swap the sim before power is turned on and do DFU recovery to get past the activation screen, but they won't work.
[doublepost=1509430463][/doublepost]The only remedy to this is either 1) contact Apple support, and have them issue an engineering ticket to decouple the number associated with your phone or 2) activate the phone with the pre-loaded verizon sim with the credentials you used to pre-order the phone. Give that sim card back to the one whose credentials you used to pre-order the phone as the activation would likely deactive the current sim and service associated with his/her phone.
This is what I am afraid of, but I am hearing so many different things on this issue... can anyone else verify?

Does activating the phone with Verizon credentials trigger the Upgrade on the Verizon line? Or is the upgrade triggered only if I activate with the preloaded SIM card? Or as long as I activate the phone the preloaded sim is activated automatically regardless of what SIM card I put in before powering on? Sorry for so many questions... very confused.

Last edited:

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Verizon iPhones are fully unlocked will work on any CDMA/GSM networks.
Phone needs to be fully paid off though for it to be unlocked.

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
The phone doesn't need to be paid off to be unlocked, it's always unlocked. But having a payment plan attached to it can cause issues if you were to sell the phone to someone or something

VoilaiPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014

Even if it is paid-in full, if you used other people's credentials, then the credentails will have to be used in order to fully unlock the phone. (Strictly speaking about direct purchases from online store. No pick up)
[doublepost=1509434637][/doublepost]Ok, I'll just write more information here.

I am aware of the fact that there's a lot of people who used their friends/partners/family credentials to purchase a Sprint/Verizon variant of iPhone X, so they won't have to deal with the ****** inferior Intel modem embedded in GSM Models.

If whoever you borrowed the credentials from do not care about having his/her phone temporarily disconnected or have abilities to drop by Verizon/Sprint store to resuscitate the sim card with their current phone, then you are good to go.

However, for those of you who are not in the type of situation I described above, then it becomes a little bit tricky picky.

1) You used someone else's credentials to pre-order an iPhone X (Apple doesn't give a **** anyway.)
2) You will receive your iPhone on 3rd or later.
3) You are excited because you think you pre-ordered a Verizon variant, meaning it is unlocked to swap out the sim card.
4) You have members of this forum telling you all Verizon iPhones are unlocked due to its agreement with FCC, so you become certain your phone is unlocked as well. These people do not recognize the difference between shipped iPhones from Apple ONLINE store and Pick-up iPhones at Apple Brick and Mortar Store.
5) You become mad as **** after you swap out the sim, but see the Verizon Activation screen on the phone. You DFU your phone, and still see the god damn thing.
6) You become more mad as **** and contact Apple Live Chat and throw your temper at the live representative, who tries to care about you but you keep saying to the live rep that things like

"I BOUGHT A VERIZON VARIANT! WHY IS MY PHONE NOT UNLOCKED?! HTF DO I GET PAST THE STUPID ACTIVATION?"

I wrote things that are irrelevant too much.

Anyways, here's what you have to know, so that you don't follow the steps above irl.

1) When you receive your iPhone, remove the pre-loaded Verizon sim in your phone.
2) Insert your own sim. It can be t-mobile, simple mobile, virgin, sex mobile, **** mobile, kinky mobile, or whatever.
3) If you don't have a sim, just get your phone connected to the wifi.
4) Get past the Verizon Activation by entering the credentials you used to pre-order your iPhone
5) Once you get past the activation phone, congrats. Your iPhone is now activated and unlocked.
6) Destroy the pre-loaded Verizon Sim. You are now free to insert your own sim card. If you don't have one, then get one goddamn it.
7) Do not worry about the possibilities of deactivating your friends/family/partners/alien's current phone sim card and service because you just activated your brand new iphone X. THEIR SIM CARDS WILL NOT BE CANCELLED AND DEACTIVATED OR TERMINADO OR MUERTO..
8) The reason for #7 is because Verizon Activation screen pops up to verify that it's real you who ordered the phone. Activation has to do with the Apple Server that might be located in CA/NY/Earth/Moon/Mars. Verizon don't even know **** about your iPhone X unless you insert the pre-loaded Verizon Sim that came with your phone..

Nuff said.

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Even if it is paid-in full, if you used other people's credentials, then the credentails will have to be used in order to fully unlock the phone. (Strictly speaking about direct purchases from online store. No pick up)

I am aware of the fact that there's a lot of people who used their friends/partners/family credentials to purchase a Sprint/Verizon variant of iPhone X, so they won't have to deal with the ****** inferior Intel modem embedded in GSM Models.

If whoever you borrowed the credentials from do not care about having his/her phone temporarily disconnected or have abilities to drop by Verizon/Sprint store to resuscitate the sim card with their current phone, then you are good to go.

However, for those of you who are not in the type of situation I described above, then it becomes a little bit tricky picky.

1) You used someone else's credentials to pre-order an iPhone X (Apple doesn't give a **** anyway.)
3) You are excited because you think you pre-ordered a Verizon variant, meaning it is unlocked to swap out the sim card.
4) You have members of this forum telling you all Verizon iPhones are unlocked due to its agreement with FCC, so you become certain your phone is unlocked as well. These people do not recognize the difference between shipped iPhones from Apple ONLINE store and Pick-up iPhones at Apple Brick and Mortar Store.
5) You become mad as **** after you swap out the sim, but see the Verizon Activation screen on the phone. You DFU your phone, and still see the god damn thing.
6) You become more mad as **** and contact Apple Live Chat and throw your temper at the live representative, who tries to care about you but you keep saying to the live rep that things like

"I BOUGHT A VERIZON VARIANT! WHY IS MY PHONE NOT UNLOCKED?! HTF DO I GET PAST THE STUPID ACTIVATION?"

Anyways, here's what you have to know, so that you don't follow the steps above irl.

1) When you receive your iPhone, remove the pre-loaded Verizon sim in your phone.
2) Insert your own sim. It can be t-mobile, simple mobile, virgin, sex mobile, **** mobile, kinky mobile, or whatever.
4) Get past the Verizon Activation by entering the credentials you used to pre-order your iPhone
5) Once you get past the activation phone, congrats. Your iPhone is now activated and unlocked.
6) Destroy the pre-loaded Verizon Sim. You are now free to insert your own sim card. If you don't have one, then get one goddamn it.
7) Do not worry about the possibilities of deactivating your friends/family/partners/alien's current phone sim card and service because you just activated your brand new iphone X. THEIR SIM CARDS WILL NOT BE CANCELLED AND DEACTIVATED OR TERMINADO OR MUERTO..
8) The reason for #7 is because Verizon Activation screen pops up to verify that it's real you who ordered the phone. Activation has to do with the Apple Server that might be located in CA/NY/Earth/Moon/Mars. Verizon don't even know **** about your iPhone X unless you insert the pre-loaded Verizon Sim that came with your phone..

Nuff said.

You wrote a very long post. I know for a fact that when you order an iPhone from the Verizonwireless website you need to put the OWNERS last 4 social to activate/bypass activation screen.

Reactions: Applejuiced

VoilaiPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
You wrote a very long post. I know for a fact that when you order an iPhone from the Verizonwireless website you need to put the OWNERS last 4 social to activate/bypass activation screen.

Seems long, but any human being can skim it. I'm only talking about pre-order purchases from Apple Online Store.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta

Not true. If it's subsidized then it's true. But if paid full price, is unlocked. Period.

VoilaiPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Not true. If it's subsidized then it's true. But if paid full price, is unlocked. Period.

I stand correct.

Buying outright from Apple B&M store (or Verizon Wireless Store.) gets you an unlocked phone like you said.
Buying outright from BestBuy makes your phone subject to that flex reseller policy, which requires you to activate with the intended carrier first (in this case, Verizon.)

Buying outright from APPLE ONLINE STORE = NO

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

That is false.
[doublepost=1509465120][/doublepost]

Correct, that is a security measure put in for phones shipped via mail.
AT&T was doing the same before.
For the initial first activation only out of the box it asked me for the last 4 of my social and the billing zip code. Then you never see that prompt ever again.
This is in case it gets stolen via transit it will be useless to the thieves.

Last edited:
Reactions: xRYD3Rx

asiqwdae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017

Nuff said.
I m kinda confused about ur words. U said simply swap the sim doesn't work. and then u said It will work as long as I put in the Verizon account info in this post. and then in ur third post u said that buying from apple online store will get a locked phone. how s that possible? locked phone, but I can activate with Tmobile sim? sorry, just so confused

dreamroar

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
to me, as long as the previous sim wont be void, that ll be good. So, the condition what u said happens when I put in tmobile sim before first start?
Sorry for the late reply. I am quoting other's detailed reply. I did the same thing last time to my Verizon iPhone bought from apple.com and it worked.

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007

Nuff said.

Someone give this man a gold star. :Applaud:

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I m kinda confused about ur words. U said simply swap the sim doesn't work. and then u said It will work as long as I put in the Verizon account info in this post. and then in ur third post u said that buying from apple online store will get a locked phone. how s that possible? locked phone, but I can activate with Tmobile sim? sorry, just so confused
One confusion is that there are 2 different things being discussed. Activation and carrier lock/unlock.

When you purchase from Apple.com, the phone will require your Verizon security info to activate. This is an “activation lock” to prevent theft. However, the phone itself is carrier unlocked by paying full retail price.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010

Nuff said.
This member stated the carrier WILL transfer your line to the sim preloaded in the phone...

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-how-to-sell-an-iphone-you-purchased.2082978/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.