Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asiqwdae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Even if it is paid-in full, if you used other people's credentials, then the credentails will have to be used in order to fully unlock the phone. (Strictly speaking about direct purchases from online store. No pick up)
[doublepost=1509434637][/doublepost]Ok, I'll just write more information here.

I am aware of the fact that there's a lot of people who used their friends/partners/family credentials to purchase a Sprint/Verizon variant of iPhone X, so they won't have to deal with the ****** inferior Intel modem embedded in GSM Models.

If whoever you borrowed the credentials from do not care about having his/her phone temporarily disconnected or have abilities to drop by Verizon/Sprint store to resuscitate the sim card with their current phone, then you are good to go.

However, for those of you who are not in the type of situation I described above, then it becomes a little bit tricky picky.

1) You used someone else's credentials to pre-order an iPhone X (Apple doesn't give a **** anyway.)
2) You will receive your iPhone on 3rd or later.
3) You are excited because you think you pre-ordered a Verizon variant, meaning it is unlocked to swap out the sim card.
4) You have members of this forum telling you all Verizon iPhones are unlocked due to its agreement with FCC, so you become certain your phone is unlocked as well. These people do not recognize the difference between shipped iPhones from Apple ONLINE store and Pick-up iPhones at Apple Brick and Mortar Store.
5) You become mad as **** after you swap out the sim, but see the Verizon Activation screen on the phone. You DFU your phone, and still see the god damn thing.
6) You become more mad as **** and contact Apple Live Chat and throw your temper at the live representative, who tries to care about you but you keep saying to the live rep that things like

"I BOUGHT A VERIZON VARIANT! WHY IS MY PHONE NOT UNLOCKED?! HTF DO I GET PAST THE STUPID ACTIVATION?"

I wrote things that are irrelevant too much.

Anyways, here's what you have to know, so that you don't follow the steps above irl.

1) When you receive your iPhone, remove the pre-loaded Verizon sim in your phone.
2) Insert your own sim. It can be t-mobile, simple mobile, virgin, sex mobile, **** mobile, kinky mobile, or whatever.
3) If you don't have a sim, just get your phone connected to the wifi.
4) Get past the Verizon Activation by entering the credentials you used to pre-order your iPhone
5) Once you get past the activation phone, congrats. Your iPhone is now activated and unlocked.
6) Destroy the pre-loaded Verizon Sim. You are now free to insert your own sim card. If you don't have one, then get one goddamn it.
7) Do not worry about the possibilities of deactivating your friends/family/partners/alien's current phone sim card and service because you just activated your brand new iphone X. THEIR SIM CARDS WILL NOT BE CANCELLED AND DEACTIVATED OR TERMINADO OR MUERTO..
8) The reason for #7 is because Verizon Activation screen pops up to verify that it's real you who ordered the phone. Activation has to do with the Apple Server that might be located in CA/NY/Earth/Moon/Mars. Verizon don't even know **** about your iPhone X unless you insert the pre-loaded Verizon Sim that came with your phone..

Nuff said.

[doublepost=1509631040][/doublepost]
Trust me. I'll be right on 3rd.
sorry I was stupid. 3rd means Nov 3rd. I thought it was the third section on his post..

Last edited:

dreamroar

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
then will the previous sim be deactivated?
I just got my Verizon iPhone today but could NOT activate it with my ATT sim! After entering verizon information, it shows "in order to complete the activation of your iphone, please use another phone to call verizon" I do not know what is my best move next ....

Reactions: pippakay

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I just got my Verizon iPhone today but could NOT activate it with my ATT sim! After entering verizon information, it shows "in order to complete the activation of your iphone, please use another phone to call verizon" I do not know what is my best move next ....

It could be a security feature for the initial first ever activation to make sure the correct person received the phone. That's why they want you to call Verizon to verify yourself.

VoilaiPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014

Activation servers are lit on fire right now. Hold tight

asiqwdae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
click next. I never called Verizon, it works on my tmoible sim.
[doublepost=1509733795][/doublepost]I walked few blocks to stop the UPS truck. I got my iphoneX, finally. I just took the sim out, put my T-Mobile SIM in. I do whatever it wants me to do. Here is a important thing: They let u confirm ur number first(the one u use to order online), then it let u call Verizon to activate ur iPhone. Just ignore it, and click NEXT. then u got ur network on.

Reactions: pippakay

VoilaiPhone

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
click next. I never called Verizon, it works on my tmoible sim.
[doublepost=1509733795][/doublepost]I walked few blocks to stop the UPS truck. I got my iphoneX, finally. I just took the sim out, put my T-Mobile SIM in. I do whatever it wants me to do. Here is a important thing: They let u confirm ur number first(the one u use to order online), then it let u call Verizon to activate ur iPhone. Just ignore it, and click NEXT. then u got ur network on.

So did my method work?

berlin1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
Its not as easy as everyone says. I picked up the iphone x verizon from someone that paid for it in full. After inserting my sim card and trying to activate it I got a message saying that this phone is associated with xxx-xxx-xxxx number and if you wanna use a different number you need to call Verizon. Verizon was no help and they didnt know how to resolve it.

asiqwdae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Its not as easy as everyone says. I picked up the iphone x verizon from someone that paid for it in full. After inserting my sim card and trying to activate it I got a message saying that this phone is associated with xxx-xxx-xxxx number and if you wanna use a different number you need to call Verizon. Verizon was no help and they didnt know how to resolve it.
I saw the same thing, trust me, don't worry, just click NEXT. as long as is ur own sim, the previous sim wont be deactivated

Reactions: Applejuiced

hch3psa

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Arizona
I can attest to this as well. Activated through iTunes, got all the way to the prompt to call Verizon to activate. Said OK, phone is up and running. Never called Verizon and the phone number associated with my order still works. Didn’t have to put the new SIM into my old Verizon phone.

Reactions: Applejuiced

iphoneXnew

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Would the same process work with a Sprint phone and Verizon SIM? I'm in the same situation and nervous to hit "Next" on the confirm phone number screen because the person with the Sprint number I used is out of the country now and I don't want to lock her out.

Deal_Haggler

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
I saw the same thing, trust me, don't worry, just click NEXT. as long as is ur own sim, the previous sim wont be deactivated

First off, VoilaiPhone user (and especially his #37 post) is the best explanation on this thread and deserves a +1000 rating for perfectly describing and fixing my problem. I sold the iphone on a used phone website and had to give the buyer the last 4 of social of ACCOUNT OWNER and the zip code to the billing address of the ACCOUNT OWNER, not necessarily the person who's phone number is being shown on the phone which is being "activated".

My question is this: can I avoid giving out the account owner last 4 of social and billing zip code by having the person trying to activate the phone choose next instead of even trying to enter the zip and last 4 of social? It seems people on this thread are saying that is possible, but perhaps they are just saying you can avoid the actual phone call to Verizon.

Also, to clarify the issue on when this mysterious "activation lock" is placed....I bought 3 phones via preorder (2 from Verizon.com <which I will call Phones A and B> shipped to residential address and one from apple.com I picked up at store<which I will call phone C>).

Sold all 3 on swappa.com and here are my results:

Phone A- Def has activation lock problem....waiting for buyer response since phone arrives tomorrow.
Phone B- Might have acitvation lock problem....Buyer completed sale and was happy, but I don't know if he tried to turn it on yet.....
Phone C- Def had activation lock problem and was the guy who first reported the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.