Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
hi guys!
Situation is preatty bad but there is one thing we can do to help beside staying at home! let’s get together to give our beloved mac pro a noble cause to fight . Please go to folding@home to download the client to help the scientists to resolve simulation.
image.jpg

[automerge]1584818225[/automerge]
If anyone here know how to setup our own cluster to help hosting a distribution server, I have a 42Tb machine ready to rock , I just dont know how to set it up. from what I understand Linustechtips is setting up a server, it would be cool if we could help better than just waiting for number to crunch. If any of you know how to do this let me know. please keep this thread as clean as possible.

Last edited:

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
Unfortunately, the work units for Covid-19 are gpu only, which isn't supported in the mac os client at the moment. you'll need to boot into windows to work on covid-19 with folding@home.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
Unfortunately, the work units for Covid-19 are gpu only, which isn't supported in the mac os client at the moment. you'll need to boot into windows to work on covid-19 with folding@home.
I have calculed some cpu chunk since this morning, with the folder number for covid-19, and and any how , the more computer calculating cpu, the more computer with gpu can work on gpu only.
my feeling is that if they see 20 or 30 thousand xeon mac pro connected, they might hurry up to port something gpu and even may be apple will develope a metal version!
Please keep in mind that you are free not to do it but please don’t discourage other people to help saying it is useless... this is a positive thread not a debate place, only post here if you are here to help or you know how to make thing better/more efficient ! thanks!
[automerge]1584819715[/automerge]
59335C74-DF3A-4583-BB8E-1DA0F5F931AE.png

the proof that @Kaspin is partially wrong.
Most of us have very wide ecc memory setup so we totally can make a difference !

Last edited:
Reactions: Project Alice

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Really, it's not worth bothering.

Supercomputers a million times faster than any Apple are working on the problem. Don't burn your systems out on this Sisyphean task.

Reactions: MarkC426

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Here is the team number :

Great suggestion. What team is this? The MacRumors team is 3446. Checkout some of the other posts.

They seem at this point to have sufficient folding capacity. They do have Mac cpu work units, but I haven't been assigned one in over a day so I've turned off my other machine. But I do keep my machine available for work units when I'm using it.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I did a bit of folding but it’s not doing cpu jobs often. GPU jobs aren’t supported in macOS. Even if your GPU shows up it will never get assigned work.

Ive switched to Rosetta@home via BOINC. This seems to have much more covid19 related work units / tasks.
As with folding there is no macOS GPU support.

in the end it may or may not help but it’s also proven to be a decent stress test for my Mac pro G5 (hack using SuperMicro X8DT6-F with dual L5640 and 48GB) setup which has been dedicated to this task for the last few days now. I’ve also run my single proc xserve3,1 and cMP 3,1 and t5810 for a while on this but the group makes a lot of heat at 100% usage and costs a fair amount in the power usage.

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018

Supercomputers a million times faster than any Apple are working on the problem. Don't burn your systems out on this Sisyphean task.
as I already said, this post is not à democracy, If you don’t want to participate why bothering discouraging others? please just ignore it.
and I highly disagree because fighting covid is like buying a lottery ticket, if you buy a ticket you have exactly the same chance to win than any other even the one who plays all the time all their live, if you dont buy a ticket you dont have a si gle chance to win.
then you have to understand that like JC says « more power, more better »,
because supercomputer are not one entity were m. superscientist subimit the work, work is shared in between all the requests from all the scientists.
the more work we can offload we can take from those supercomputers, the most complex task they can do.

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
Great suggestion. What team is this? The MacRumors team is 3446. Checkout some of the other posts.

They seem at this point to have sufficient folding capacity. They do have Mac cpu work units, but I haven't been assigned one in over a day so I've turned off my other machine. But I do keep my machine available for work units when I'm using it.
Yes absolutely, that is why now they need some people who can host new connections because they are running out of storage.... linus tech tips is building a server, and if someone help me to I will also build one as i have a 8x3,33 xserve with 192 Gb of ram and 42Tb of fast sas storage to offer.
I built my team to be able to move all the people once I manage to get this up and running , and by the way i am also running rosetta for while i dont get any job on folding. It is a drop in the ocean compare to the super computer or to mini g farm in china that are repurposed right now , but we have a couple of avantage over regular « gaming gpu PC » we have ECC memory, and a lot of it.
My 16 core 7.1 with 384 mb of ram is given 7 days to compute stuff , and in reality the chunk is done in 20-25 minutes. On folding some jobs requires a certain amount of power and memory to get assigned... my 12 core 5,1 gets a lot of small jobs while my 7,1 get less job and remain waiting somtimes for 20 to 40 minutes before getting assigned with a way bigger task that will take him 1 h....
[automerge]1584866805[/automerge]

built my own team because I hope to be able to setup a server.

Last edited:

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
please guys lets not make this thread a ******** of conspirationist and political statements, if you are not here to help, please remain quiet. I built my own team to have only xeon ecc machine on the team, because they are safe to run 24/7 , and dont want to have people burning laptop or imacs that are powerfull but not designed to work 24/7 at 100%.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
With all good intentions on your part, unfortunately there are people who will take advantage of this for immoral use.....just give them access to your computer... 🤔

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
With all good intentions on your part, unfortunately there are people who will take advantage of this for immoral use.....just give them access to your computer... 🤔
that is the good thing with this, you are not forced to do it, and have the freedom to be a ****t thinking there is a evil masterplan behind all this!
but then please spend your time folding... you tinfoil hat and let people do what they believe a good thing giving compute power to help the one who are actually trying to find a cure for tinfoil hat morron...
we are doing this on workstations that dont carry anykind of personal data because it is pointless to do on small laptop and computer without ECC memory.

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018

so now that folding@home has reached more than twice the power of ibm Summit, since this morning, (470Pb vs 200Pb) what where you saying?
Fortunately we were enough to find out that an army of ant do more work than an elephant....

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Problem is, in today’s world any use of tech will always be exploited for personal gain by someone.
I have many tin hats, unfortunately...... ;)

Very good progress though, what your doing seems to be working.
Keep up the good work.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Wish Google could find a way to use their Sycamore quantum computer for this. They did an equation that would take IBM's supercomputer 10,000 years to crunch in about 200 seconds.

Reactions: Symphy944

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
yes we are waiting for job to come, scientists are analyzing the results, and will send more test.

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
nice to know, I was about to remind people to also instal it! many thanks !

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
unless you configure for it for doing both, I've noted that BOINC will consume nearly all CPU and F@H will get nearly none.

Reactions: cjsmith315

edgerider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
i’ve got the 7.1 on boinc, and the 5.1 on folding... but there are now cpu work on folding right now

cjsmith315

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
The GPU work flow has been slow due to their bandwidth issues but CPU work has been steady. You might need to add the following argument in the CPU Slot to keep work trickling in:

1585104784848.png

Reactions: edgerider

cjsmith315

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Rosetta and GPUGrid on BOINC have steady work streams. GPUGrid is not specifically targeting COVID research right now but the modelling has applications in that space. I have a 2008 Mac Pro and some early intel mac mini's crunching away at Rosetta.
[automerge]1585105029[/automerge]
Unless you boot a different os youll never get assigned GPU work. It’s not supported in macOS.

Good catch, I am posting from my windows machine.

Reactions: edgerider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.