Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2014
Wow this thread...

I have Apple care and have a clear cover over the watch which covers the body and screen. I am clumsy. I run into the sides of doors, have dropped my watch on the floor, play with my dog (who while we’re plying always puts his paw on my arm and scratches it once in a while.. the same arm I wear my watch on..) point is I am careful about it and have insurance. Protect your devices and buy a warranty.

Reactions: jagooch

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
It is a mechanical watch and has lubricants like oil. A Rolex can easily last 3+ generations, so 150 years or more, I think maybe much longer. Oil and many traditional liubricants will thicken or degrade with time and have to be cleaned off and replaced. This is true of all mechanical watches at this time. New high-tech lubricants could easily extend the service intervals. But still, yes every 15-20 years, a service is a good thing to do.

Mechanical parts also wear, but mechanical watch makers know this and there is a mechanical adjustment to compensate for wear, environment, etc. It is basically a small internal mechanical adjustment to speed up or slow down the watch.

I would encourage you to get one if you want to, it is a completely different experience and used older models like mine can be had very reasonably - just buy from a reliable dealer. You own it, but after some time, it owns you too, by the memories where you wore it, the people that you knew or met ... As much as I love my Apple watch, I do not believe that an Apple watch will ever hang out for 150 years - hey, my Rolex is almost 30% of the way there and it performs like new. It isn’t anywhere as near as acccurate as a digital watch, mine loses about 1 minute a month, but it has done that for 40 years so, therefore I am used to it. And it is used to me.

Lol 1 min a month you are lucky. Mine was about 2-3 mins a month when I wore it 24-7...worse since 2015 and the AW came about :)

You are right though - chalk and cheese. AW is a 'smart watch' and Rolex is just timeless. except it tells the time :)

I went Aluminium this year on the AW for the first time as I realised I was throwing away so much money on the annual refresh - if I want to look smart I can wear the Rolex...it will always look better than an AW, even the Stainless.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Very nice @BillGates1969 - Love it! You will too 50 years from now and you will smile.
[doublepost=1541377300][/doublepost]@BillGates1969 I think they can do better than that, send it in for a service and mention the 3 min/month thing.
[doublepost=1541378045][/doublepost]Mine was 2-3 min/mo initially. Service made it better, but tell them the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillGates1969

Sadwthiwatch

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2018
California
This thread is a joke

Get AppleCare and stop complaining when your watch breaks after you drop it. I used my s0 aluminum in high risk sports activities for 3 years and it had like 2 scratches on it and zero cracks. I also had AppleCare on the watch but never used it.
Apple Care wasn’t excepted. My son has Apple Care.

Bosechris

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
When you own Rolex and AppleCare.
Every day, it must be difficult to choose wich one you will wear.

Sadwthiwatch

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2018
California
Screenshot_2018-11-04 Apple - Support - Update Your Repair.png
This thread is a joke

Get AppleCare and stop complaining when your watch breaks after you drop it. I used my s0 aluminum in high risk sports activities for 3 years and it had like 2 scratches on it and zero cracks. I also had AppleCare on the watch but never used it.
Hi.
I like Rolex, i am fan it.
I have never seen a 40 years old Rolex.
Could you show a picture ?
Thanks.
[doublepost=1541352678][/doublepost]So you mean that Rolex is not as strong as I think ?
The Apple Watch 4 is actually advertising that it can alert to falls of its wearers. Yet can’t fall a few feet to the floor?
[doublepost=1541385280][/doublepost]
AC+ would have solved this issue. You break it, you bought it.
There is also the saying “False advertising “ it’s supposed to be a fall detector and a sports watch.

Sadwthiwatch

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2018
California
The warranty doesn’t cover it.
Wow this thread...

I have Apple care and have a clear cover over the watch which covers the body and screen. I am clumsy. I run into the sides of doors, have dropped my watch on the floor, play with my dog (who while we’re plying always puts his paw on my arm and scratches it once in a while.. the same arm I wear my watch on..) point is I am careful about it and have insurance. Protect your devices and buy a warranty.
e

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
There is also the saying “False advertising “ it’s supposed to be a fall detector and a sports watch.

Actually it isn't "False advertising" at all. It does detect falls and even knows when you're faking it.

What it isn't is a fall "protector". And it does it just as well. So good luck;)

Sadwthiwatch

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2018
California
Get AppleCare you bums. It's $4 a month
It doesn’t cover a cracked screen with more than one line
Get AppleCare you bums. It's $4 a month
[doublepost=1541453269][/doublepost]
Actually it isn't "False advertising" at all. It does detect falls and even knows when you're faking it.

What it isn't is a fall "protector". And it does it just as well. So good luck;)
The fall is detected and then it detects that you will be buying a new watch at $349. Plus tax $375.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
It doesn’t cover a cracked screen with more than one line

AppleCare + does cover two instances of accidental damage, and to be clear, this is accidental damage. The watch was dropped on a tile floor.

Drop your phone from that height on a tile floor. Drop a Rolex. Tile floors and concrete are the most unforgiving surfaces for a fall.

If you need a rugged watch, buy a rugged watch or a protective bumper.

There’s a reason why Casio G-Shocks are so named and so popular. I used to show mine off by throwing it against the floor or wall as hard as I could. Nothing touched it. Would I do that with one of my “nice” watches? Hell no.

At some point in life one usually develops an intuitive sense for what objects will survive what falls on the what surfaces.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
AppleCare + does cover two instances of accidental damage, and to be clear, this is accidental damage. The watch was dropped on a tile floor.

Drop your phone from that height on a tile floor. Drop a Rolex. Tile floors and concrete are the most unforgiving surfaces for a fall.

If you need a rugged watch, buy a rugged watch or a protective bumper.

There’s a reason why Casio G-Shocks are so named and so popular. I used to show mine off by throwing it against the floor or wall as hard as I could. Nothing touched it. Would I do that with one of my “nice” watches? Hell no.

At some point in life one usually develops an intuitive sense for what objects will survive what falls on the what surfaces.

And often that sense of what objects will survive is accompanied with a sense of entitlement ("well, it ought to... ") or at the least, a full set of unreal expectations.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Has anyone tried asking for a battery replacement to a watch with a broken screen - I believe battery replacements simply give you a brand new watch ... they might not accept the request for a watch with a cracked screen - no idea

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Has anyone tried asking for a battery replacement to a watch with a broken screen - I believe battery replacements simply give you a brand new watch ... they might not accept the request for a watch with a cracked screen - no idea

If Apple Detected a smashed display that would be caused by the customer from damaging it inadvertently on their own, then there is also no evidence proving that the battery was not somehow damaged in the process of when the watch was damaged. It would be a very difficult situation, and I doubt Apple would be willing to extend A battery replacement if the display was smashed or the watch was severely abused. There have to be some type of circumstance when it’s beyond a just a ‘defective battery’.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
If Apple Detected a smashed display that would be caused by the customer from damaging it inadvertently on their own, then there is also no evidence proving that the battery was not somehow damaged in the process of when the watch was damaged. It would be a very difficult situation, and I doubt Apple would be willing to extend A battery replacement if the display was smashed or the watch was severely abused. There have to be some type of circumstance when it’s beyond a just a ‘defective battery’.

What would a swollen battery look like? It is guaranteed 100% to be a screen that lifted away from the body of the watch, or is there room to argue that a cracked screen (as opposed to a 'shattered' screen) was the result of a swollen battery? Truly curious.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007

Probably same as the phones. They won’t work on broken ones for safety reasons.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What would a swollen battery look like? It is guaranteed 100% to be a screen that lifted away from the body of the watch, or is there room to argue that a cracked screen (as opposed to a 'shattered' screen) was the result of a swollen battery? Truly curious.

In the context of a swollen battery for the Apple Watch, it will display a puffiness, and the battery pouch will be fully expanded. If the screen is ‘cracked’, that’s one thing, but if it’s completely shattered (As in dropped), that also could be a result of the battery swelling due to the internal damage the watch suffered upon impact. It isn’t the most likely scenario that a battery will be swollen if the display is shattered, but given the nature of lithium ion batteries, it’s not impossible either.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
In the context of a swollen battery for the Apple Watch, it will display a puffiness, and the battery pouch will be fully expanded. If the screen is ‘cracked’, that’s one thing, but if it’s completely shattered (As in dropped), that also could be a result of the battery swelling due to the internal damage the watch suffered upon impact. It isn’t the most likely scenario that a battery will be swollen if the display is shattered, but given the nature of lithium ion batteries, it’s not impossible either.

That sounds plausible if the dropped watch/shattered screen happens first and that incident punctures or otherwise causes the battery to swell.. but I was speaking about the situation where the battery fails without any physical damage to the watch... I've had phones with batteries that swell and it simply pushes the screen away from frame. I was just wondering if a watch battery that swells (without other physical damage) would push the screen away from the watch body or if it could cause the screen to crack or shatter. in that scenario, is there any room to argue that the screen damage was caused by the damaged battery?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That sounds plausible if the dropped watch/shattered screen happens first and that incident punctures or otherwise causes the battery to swell.. but I was speaking about the situation where the battery fails without any physical damage to the watch... I've had phones with batteries that swell and it simply pushes the screen away from frame. I was just wondering if a watch battery that swells (without other physical damage) would push the screen away from the watch body or if it could cause the screen to crack or shatter. in that scenario, is there any room to argue that the screen damage was caused by the damaged battery?

If the battery expands and pushes the display away from the casing of Apple Watch, and the display cracks, I’m sure Apple would be able to detect that. But to be honest, of all the swollen Apple Watch batteries cases that I have read on here, I have never come across someone having a cracked display because of the battery swelling, it’s usually the display is just separated away from the casing.

I also think it’s more logical to believe that if the battery swollen and the display cracks, that seems believable. But if the display is completely shattered or spiderwebs, then I would suspect something else might have happened to the display aside from the swollen battery.

Yash2qt

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2019
After 2 months, my Apple Watch 3 has a cracked screen (diagonally across the top right corner), the touch function is gone so I can’t enter my passcode - so it is essentially a brick. I’m certain I didn’t drop it or whack it against anything. Apple won’t repair it under warranty and it would cost me $280 for repair. That’s not going to happen. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
[doublepost=1546713658][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1525729951][/doublepost]The Apple Store (Manchester, NH) Genius refused a warranty replacement. I've attached a new photo better showing the damage - but it is actually not that easy to see in real life. I had no idea why the watch turned into a complete brick until the Apple Genius pointed the crack out to me. I'm going on 66 and own 700 shares of Apple stock so can easily afford to replace it. I never dropped it. Does Apple think an old fogey goes around violently whacking his wrist watch around on things to see if it will break? I'm telling everyone I know about my experience - its the first Apple product I'm recommending that people think twice about. But I just may have gotten a lemon.
[doublepost=1525731068][/doublepost]
Thanks Vermifuge for that feedback. There aren't too many convenient Apple Stores in central NH but there are several. But I expect better from Apple than having to drive around from store to store seeing who might fix it. I'm on iPhone #3 and iPad #3 as well (no cracks or damages to any of them!), so I'm not a stranger to reasonable care with tech devices. If I did whack the watch without being aware and cause the break - then I definitely don't want another one. If it's too fragile for a 66 year-old buck like me, something seems out of whack.
[doublepost=1546713700][/doublepost]Hey I had the exact same problem cracked top right screen half my screen doesn’t work and I know I didn’t drop it. Did you manage to get it fixed cause the price to fix it is almost as much as getting a new one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.