Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I get this icon when I try to raise the sound. Of course there’s no sound heard at all. Its as if the MacBook don’t have any speakers. It’s a 12" Retina Early 2015 MacBook.

Attachments

• 92F45C66-2F47-4261-A984-654D4B5A5E4A.jpeg
    92F45C66-2F47-4261-A984-654D4B5A5E4A.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 236

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Does it mean something if not being in any of the two?

Hardijs

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2019
here, at last
in the Audio MIDI I can’t see them either.
one is supposed to see interfaces not speakers. and yes - one can "delete" interface ( though not supposedly easy to do for the built in )

depends on what shows in audio and midi ( and or sound panels in settings) though most likely speakers itself are fine. A bit more likely an incorrect sound output selected ( say HDMI if you have it plugged in, or some spyware software issue )
also - try to find system profiler / system information app ( macOS version dependant) - under hardware there is an Audio line - the contents should be telling.
a bit more likely - a burnt audio chip/some electronics - have happened before - like when audio out is plugged to external speakers - is more model dependant - run a diagnostics.
more likely still there is a debris in the sound out port so that the plug "thinks" its an optics ( spdif) plugged in - try plugging in/out headphones couple dozen times with a visor though try not to break smthing.
even more likely than those - there is some permissions / kext issue - like some software installed - like which has an audio extension which is selected though not authorised yet - does the startup chime sound - try resetting pram ( again - model dependant) - after the 3rd or 4th cycle is should sound regardless of setting set previously.
more - try SMC reset ( or AS M1 M2/ T1 / T2 equivalent) (successful diagnostics is supposed to do just that once you hit shut down there )
Other that that - its hardware problem - usually irreversible and a main logic board is going to be replaced- if not under warranty - find some suitable external USB audio interface...

Reactions: StoneJack

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I’ve tried PRAM and SMC resetting and no luck! 😐
What else can I try?

Last edited:

Hardijs

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2019
here, at last
sorry to hear that - if there is no startup chime nor if earphones are plugged in and no sound there nor they are st least recognised - that's tough luck - most likely something on the logic board - replacement may well be in the cards -
depending on the region you are - aliexpress may be fine - https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-MacBook-2015-retina-logic-board.html - runs 50 to 150 usd - my advice would be not to take the cheapest - look for long time vendor in business and good to best reviews
repalacement takes somewhat qualified hands ( trained or capable ones or at least good eyesight ) though for example ifixit guide is easy to follow https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Retina+MacBook+2015+Logic+Board+Replacement/44095
review that and see that the option of buying external (portable) bluetooth speaker is king of best solution here

Reactions: StoneJack and zoran

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Just some some further quick diagnostics:

1. shine a bright light into the headphone port to see if there's an obstruction or if contacts are intact.

2. does it output via Airplay to external speakers?

3. create a second user account to see if the issue changes.

4. start in safe mode to discount software issues. On occasion this has fixed some weird issues for me.

5. call Applecare, a tech can do a remote hardware test, see if it throws any errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
May i ask... can a battery swelling create such an issue?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
1. all well
2. dont have such speakers
3. dont change
4. what exactly will i do in safe mode?
5. its a Vintage model... will AppleCare even bother?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
4. what exactly will i do in safe mode?
5. its a Vintage model... will AppleCare even bother?
4. Mainly it prevents some software running and checks the start up disk. I've had issues I could have sworn were hardware related (WiFi), but actually weren't. It doesn't hurt to boot into it but note: the system will run/ react slow whilst in safe mode. The procedure is here.

5. I've had luck with a much older mac than yours. Worth a cost of a phone call.

Hardijs

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2019
here, at last
Last edited:

Hardijs

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2019
here, at last
How exactly is the hardware test accomplished on their end?
the user HW test - press [D] on startup ( see  doc above on startup keys) - this one may give some Pnnn code like a car ;) - P0000 or whatever the first letter and rest are 0 means that the test did not find any not that there are no faults - its more like for public consumption to say - "all items that need be in this items are there" - this is the basic test and is not "to be trusted" - it does not test anything beyond basic functionality and the presence of subsystem.

if AppleCare@apple.com thinks they need hw test they can receive the results - the difference is that you press 2 keys on startup [option]+[D] and connect to wifi you have
then they will need the serial number and they can initiate additional tests in addition to the basic one whilst in the drag mode. Though I doubt they do remote diagnostics anymore ... and will tell you to bring it in an authorised repair centre - where it will be treated as a the vintage / obsolete - quite uncertain for your particular location what the policy is...
Any decent repair facility will insist on replacing the battery in addition to repairing what else there may be

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
How exactly is the hardware test accomplished on their end?
Tbh, I'm not sure as to the scope and technicalities of the test itself. They offer controlling the device remotely for the session, but not without your consent. I've just been through this, albeit on an iPhone. I subsequently had a more in depth test procedure at an Apple store, it also had to do with an audio issue.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Are you near an Apple store by chance? Best thing to do would be to make an appointment, take it in and have them run their diagnostics in-house.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Their diagnostic test for a vintage model is done for free?

Hardijs

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2019
here, at last
not necessarily. though if you ask nicely and be polite and easygoing...
though if the battery will be most apparent symptom anything will be attributed to it.... this item will be first on watchlist on any diagnostician - and that's for the reason.

Reactions: Alpha Centauri

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I took a 2015 in last year for intermittent freezing/shut downs. I made an appointment. They ran diagnostics on it. Turns out I needed a new logic board and was given the out of warranty price as I had no Applecare on it. I decided it was not worth the cost. There was no charge. YMMV of course.

Reactions: Alpha Centauri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.