Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Debian by default doesn't install a desktop. Just the basic command line only OS. You need to install the your preferred desktop, x11, login manager, etc.

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Debian by default doesn't install a desktop. Just the basic command line only OS. You need to install the your preferred desktop, x11, login manager, etc.
So even though the net install has you pick from several available desktops, you are still only left with the basic system (CLI only)? This install even let me chose between lightdm and sddm. So I “assumed” it was the complete package. I will try to install the “missing pieces” and see how that goes. If it works, that’ll be really cool!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Been a while since i did a ppc debian install, but maybe it left out some needed files. Didn’t realize it gave you the option for desktop stuff. It could be GPU related as you’ve mentioned. I’d try installing some extra basics just to be sure. Try xdm for login manager once, and maybe the old simple twm window manager. It’s old and ugly, but usually works. I’ve had issues with lightdm and others in the past myself. Otherwise ignore my post, lol. I’ve been out of the loop on ppc stuff for awhile now.

Cheers

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Been a while since i did a ppc debian install, but maybe it left out some needed files. Didn’t realize it gave you the option for desktop stuff. It could be GPU related as you’ve mentioned. I’d try installing some extra basics just to be sure. Try xdm for login manager once, and maybe the old simple twm window manager. It’s old and ugly, but usually works. I’ve had issues with lightdm and others in the past myself. Otherwise ignore my post, lol. I’ve been out of the loop on ppc stuff for awhile now.

Cheers
I verified that, lightdm, xorg, were the latest versions by trying to install them. I'm going to remove lightdm and install xdm, just to see if there is a difference. Thanks for your feedback!

D0cB3y

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
Hi everyone, just to know if there are any problems currently with the GeForce 6600 as my Powermac G5 boots the installer no problem with Debian 11 Sid, but with 12, it hangs at smp_core99_bringup_done, i don't have any other gpu available

D0cB3y

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
Why do you think it's related with videocard? AFAIK this string appears at very beginning stages of linux kernel boot, before video init (correct me if I'm wrong). And why don't you use Deb 11 Sid with all packages upgraded?
I read this somewhere can't remember where although i was half asleep so that comes in play :D The problem i have with Deb 11 Sid, is grub fails to install, i tried the grubfix.sh mentioned but i get a strange error like /bin/sh giving me command not found errors, i'll try to fix it again

D0cB3y

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
I read this somewhere can't remember where although i was half asleep so that comes in play :D The problem i have with Deb 11 Sid, is grub fails to install, i tried the grubfix.sh mentioned but i get a strange error like /bin/sh giving me command not found errors, i'll try to fix it again
Yeah, anybody got any idea on how to get passed the installer boot process hanging at mp_core99_bringup_done?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.