Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I have the Intel 7+ on AT&T, I can say that at work where I used to get 1 bar, maybe 2 and no service while in my pocket (with 6+) has changed to service in my pocket and 2-3 bars elsewhere. Great upgrade for me!!

Reactions: deadworlds

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
The only way to conduct a true test is to have the same apps installed, use the same carrier, and carry out the same LTE usage across both devices, and at the same spot and time.

cu2010

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
new york city
Final test. Intel usage 9h 17m standby 14h 35m

Verdict: Intel has better battery in my area/usage than the Qualcomm on TMobile. Roughly 1-2hr battery life difference. Same lte speeds.

Thanks! This is interesting... But the next software update might improve Qualcomm because before you updated it a few days ago, Qualcomm had a better battery life. Will you return/sell Qualcomm soon?

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
The only way to conduct a true test is to have the same apps installed, use the same carrier, and carry out the same LTE usage across both devices, and at the same spot and time.

That's what I did over several days.

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks! This is interesting... But the next software update might improve Qualcomm because before you updated it a few days ago, Qualcomm had a better battery life. Will you return/sell Qualcomm soon?

Yes returning Qualcomm today. And yes a software update could change it.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Reading threads like this, it seems that many people are convinced that one of these modems has to be better than the other. It is also entirely possible that there is no meaningful difference between the two. But, I get it - all of us own either an Intel or Qualcomm iPhone 7 and we secretly hope that the model we have is better than the other - that is inevitably going to cause any of us with anecdotal observations to have bias when evaluating our iPhone's performance.

Really, any scientific comparison of these two modems is probably next to impossible for any of us. Even if we have 2 iPhone 7's (one Qualcomm and one Intel) side by side on the same network at the same time, I suspect there are natural differences that can occur between the two phones that is perfectly normal. And, even if there are significant differences, you really have no way of knowing if that is because of a defect in the modem or due to a defect in how the network is handling the two different phones or even a defect in the iOS software.

Reactions: ohmyggg

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Here are my stats, 51% remaining.
Intel.

Attachments

• IMG_3620.PNG
    IMG_3620.PNG
    505.5 KB · Views: 395

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
I had 3 identical iPhone 6 pluses (same OS version and all) and the first 2 had horrible cell reception and one had other problems, the 3rd had the best cell reception out of all 3, so it has something to do with the components not the chips as seen by some here reporting on owning both and some report one way the other reports the other way.

I will guarantee that is someone buys 20 of each model you will see all vary so some degree, with some being horrible.

This also applies to screens, I have a very bad track record of receiving a yellow gate screen instead of a nice blue one, well see what I get this time, and the glue never cures it's your eyes getting used to the yellow screen, I tried all fixes to all my yellow screens and never once did anything work, even time!

This iPhone thing is just the luck of the draw! Nothing else. I always have bad luck the first time around with these.

Reactions: tekjunkie

SPoon222222

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
I had 3 identical iPhone 6 pluses (same OS version and all) and the first 2 had horrible cell reception and one had other problems, the 3rd had the best cell reception out of all 3, so it has something to do with the components not the chips as seen by some here reporting on owning both and some report one way the other reports the other way.

I will guarantee that is someone buys 20 of each model you will see all vary so some degree, with some being horrible.

This also applies to screens, I have a very bad track record of receiving a yellow gate screen instead of a nice blue one, well see what I get this time, and the glue never cures it's your eyes getting used to the yellow screen, I tried all fixes to all my yellow screens and never once did anything work, even time!

This iPhone thing is just the luck of the draw! Nothing else. I always have bad luck the first time around with these.

The 6s Plus with newer IMEIs have a newer calibrated screen that looks a lot warmer than my launch device which had a cooler display. I had my launch day device replaced recently so I was able to see side by side how they both looked with brightness cranked all the way up and auto brightness turned off.

The replacement screen had a yellowing issue so I had the screen replaced at an Apple store. The replacement display looked the same as the initial replacement unit I received. I even inspected the demo devices and they all looked like the launch day displays with the cooler temperature.

After receiving the device with the replaced display back I noticed the device's surface was damaged so Apple sent yet another replacement. To my surprise, this one also had a warmer display.

I can conclude that the newer or latest iterations of the 6s Plus uses a display that is calibrated warmer. However, for those of you who prefer the cooler displays try changing the settings below. It seems to work on my 6s Plus and 7 Plus.

In case you did not know...
You can go to Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Display Accomendations --> Enable Color Filter. Turn Intensity all the way down and set the Hue to your liking. You can move away from a warmer display to a cooler one if you wish. Hope this helps.
[doublepost=1475389385][/doublepost]I have an iPhone 7 Plus on AT&T running on 10.0.2. So far I am enjoying the battery life, but it may be too early to state anything. I am getting similar data speeds as the 6s Plus via Ookla Speedtest. Seen as fast as 150 Mbps downloads. Reception seems to be the same compared to the 6s Plus in my area. 2 to 3 bars at home.

When I received the device I drained the 7 Plus to 0% and then proceeded to charge the phone to 100%. I have about 18% of battery life left on the device's first full charge. All the applications I have been using are in the attached picture.

Usage: 10 hr, 15 min
Standby: 81 hr, 13 min

Attachments

• IMG_4625.PNG
    IMG_4625.PNG
    617.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Reactions: dsjr2006

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
So...

I used an iPhone 7+ with Qualcomm modem (Verizon model) on AT&T for 2 weeks and returned it for one (Jet Black! AT&T model) with Intel modem instead.

It's not a real test of any type, but after a few days I'm noticing some behavior from the Intel model that never happened with the Qualcomm.

Sometimes, it shows AT&T LTE with 2-3 dots signal strength, but no Internet connectivity works. I can't load any web pages or refresh email. I toggle Airplane Mode on and off, and then everything is normal again.

Any other iPhone 7 owners experience anything like this?

I never had that happen with my iPhone 6S+ nor with my Qualcomm-based iPhone 7+.

SPoon222222

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
So...

I used an iPhone 7+ with Qualcomm modem (Verizon model) on AT&T for 2 weeks and returned it for one (Jet Black! AT&T model) with Intel modem instead.

It's not a real test of any type, but after a few days I'm noticing some behavior from the Intel model that never happened with the Qualcomm.

Sometimes, it shows AT&T LTE with 2-3 dots signal strength, but no Internet connectivity works. I can't load any web pages or refresh email. I toggle Airplane Mode on and off, and then everything is normal again.

I never had that happen with my iPhone 6S+ nor with my Qualcomm-based iPhone 7+.

Are you on the latest software?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Seems like intel did alright for first shot !

It's not like they aren't a reputable company anyways,

Glad for the creation of this thread, having qc and intel make the radios is interesting to me

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Getting great battery life on my Intel 7 Plus.
Mostly browsing. Text, YouTube, phone, music streaming mixed in.

2 Bars of LTE in a woodsy area known to drop any T-Mobile iPhone previously. Very impressed.

IMG_0022.PNG

Reactions: tekjunkie

eclipxe

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
So...

Not seeing this on my Intel on Tmo

Reactions: SPoon222222

SPoon222222

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Intel on 10.0.2. Finally at 1%. AT&T.

Usage: 12 hr, 45 min
Standby: 90 hr, 49 min

Attachments

• IMG_4626.PNG
    IMG_4626.PNG
    548.4 KB · Views: 255

jdlorinser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Ok, what about Carrier Settings updates... Will the Qualcomm phone still get updates for AT&T while being used on AT&T ?

Reactions: DCIFRTHS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.