Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sack_peak

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 3, 2023
Anyone delaying iOS 17 until January? This would allow Apple & 3rd party devs to stamp out any further bugs.

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2021
I don't think I will sacrifice my phone for an update. I'll leave it on 16.6.1 for it's whole life. Or until I will sell it

Reactions: sack_peak

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I don't think I will sacrifice my phone for an update. I'll leave it on 16.6.1 for it's whole life. Or until I will sell it
With an iPhone SE 3 (A15 Bionic, 4GB RAM) I won’t go as far as not updating ever again, I think, but seeing the worse efficiency of iOS 17 (more machine learning intensive features, interactive widgets, more system RAM usage..) I think I’ll wait at least until next year.

That said, if the efficacy keeps going downwards with the newer iOS 17 features coming in 17.2, 17.3, 17.4… then I’m not sure I’ll update until a really battery focused release. Right now I’m enjoying a great battery life with iOS 16.6.1, and I won’t trade this great performance for newer features if that means losing a few hours of screen-on time.

Starting with iOS 14 (and because I suffered iOS 13 at that time), I decided to wait until the .6 or .7 release, usually released during September, to update from a major release to the next one, performing a clean install. And thus far, this has proved to be a good strategy. I waited on iOS 15.7 until now, seeing that iOS 16.6.1 was rock solid and efficient enough, I decided to perform a clean install with the IPSW. And now, I’ll probably wait until another good version to update to iOS 17, be it 17.4, 17.5 or, most likely, 17.6 or even 17.7

I’m conscious that I’m going one whole year behind features and security wise, but I prefer to have a reliable device without the headaches of buggy releases. I choose my peace of mind.

And I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy the new features of iOS 17 once I update my iPhone, the same way that I’m now enjoying the new Lock Screen of iOS 16 with many less bugs than a year ago.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yes I’m delaying iOS 17, just like I delayed iOS 13, 14, 15, and 16 on my iPhone Xʀ. My delay is a little... permanent.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It’s the original iOS version for that device...

Don't get the point. The issue is whether IOS 17 causes problems. I am experiencing none which would strongly suggest that an upgrade wouldn't be an issue. Don't pay attention to battery life though.

Maybe I'm not picky enough because I have never had any issues with an IOS update. Can't say the same thing for MacOS OS updates.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Don't get the point. The issue is whether IOS 17 causes problems. I am experiencing none which would strongly suggest that an upgrade wouldn't be an issue. Don't pay attention to battery life though.

Maybe I'm not picky enough because I have never had any issues with an IOS update. Can't say the same thing for MacOS OS updates.
You won’t have issues on the iOS version made for that device. That doesn’t mean that an iPhone Xʀ will work just as well as your device: in fact, it won’t. Saying that the iPhone 15 is great on iOS 17 is meaningless for every other iPhone, because, it doesn’t work like that.

“I am experiencing none which would strongly suggest that an upgrade wouldn't be an issue”. This is not true. I so wish it were, but it isn’t. My iPhone Xʀ is as flawless on iOS 12 as your iPhone 15, but iOS 12 is completely abhorrent on an iPhone 6. The fact that it is so perfect on my Xʀ means absolutely nothing for older devices, and if I were to suggest an iPhone 6 user to update based on my experience, I’d be completely wrong because like I said, as much as I would love it if the experience were universal regardless of the device, it isn’t.

If you upgrade every year, you won’t have issues with iOS updates because you’re always running the original version...

Reactions: Chuckeee

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Is this thread about upgrading from iOS 16 to iOS 17 or about buying a new iPhone 15?
There are completely different issues. From the threads on this forum and media reports, iPhone 15 devices seem to have hardware problems that Apple is trying, for the moment, to solve with software updates. That is unrelated to iOS 17 on other devices.

I haven't upgraded my iPhone SE 2 to iOS 17 and I don’t give advice about what anyone else should do. I just pointed out a security issue that is worth considering in the decision.

RayB4

macrumors member
I’m an old bloke, and like many old people I don’t feel the need to keep renewing my devices, I currently run an IPad 6th Gen and a SE2 phone and I keep both up to date with the latest software.
Having spent the last few years of my working life in IT I have learned that the older an operating system becomes the more vulnerable it is. I would rather lose a bit of screen time than wake up one day and find my device has been taken over by a hacker.
Maybe it’s just me being over cautious.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
iPhone 14 PM, 16.7.

Battery life is the best it has ever been, even at 92% battery health (got it at launch).

Won't touch 17 until next summer, and that's only if Apple manages to get the 14 series to the point where they last as long as on iOS 16. I don't need more fancy features which I will not use.

clausbvc

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
Denmark
Since updating my iPad pro (10.5) to iOS 17.0.3 it has started to heat up on the back where the Apple logo sits. The heat is very noticable even after short use, and especially when streaming.
Any ideas why and should I be concerned?
Or is this to be expected for an older iPad? Or just an iPad iOS 17 bug not found yet?

sack_peak

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 3, 2023
Since updating my iPad pro (10.5) to iOS 17.0.3 it has started to heat up on the back where the Apple logo sits. The heat is very noticable even after short use, and especially when streaming.
Any ideas why and should I be concerned?
Or is this to be expected for an older iPad? Or just an iPad iOS 17 bug not found yet?
Thank you for the feedback. https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad/

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You won’t have issues on the iOS version made for that device. That doesn’t mean that an iPhone Xʀ will work just as well as your device:

We are talking about the software. There have been releases of IOS software with inherent major bugs which have required multiple point versions immediately after release. That hasn't happened. If there were major bugs is IOS 17, or major bugs tied to a specific iPhone version there would have been a point releases. That hasn't happened. There have been 3 security releases though.

As you say your results may vary depending on the iPhone which you have if the hardware isn't there, or fast enough, to support a feature. If you know of major bugs on an earlier phone running IOS 17 would be interested in hearing about them. It should have been reported by now since it is has been almost a month since release.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
We are talking about the software. There have been releases of IOS software with inherent major bugs which have required multiple point versions immediately after release. That hasn't happened. If there were major bugs is IOS 17, or major bugs tied to a specific iPhone version there would have been a point releases. That hasn't happened. There have been 3 security releases though.

As you say your results may vary depending on the iPhone which you have if the hardware isn't there, or fast enough, to support a feature. If you know of major bugs on an earlier phone running IOS 17 would be interested in hearing about them. It should have been reported by now since it is has been almost a month since release.
Those glaring, device-breaking issues are fixed quickly and aren’t the point. Besides, like you said, they aren’t even frequent.

The problem is that the whole experience degrades on older devices, which is why I took an issue with what you said: “I’m running iOS 17 and it’s fine so it should be fine for you”. This is not good advice. And it isn’t good advice because if Apple were to optimise iOS’ performance and battery life to new iPhone standards for older devices, we wouldn’t be talking about this, my iPhone Xʀ would be on iOS 17 instead of iOS 12, and my iPad Air 5 would be on iPadOS 17 instead of iPadOS 15.

You can’t recommend an iPhone Xʀ user to update based on your experience with... the latest iPhone on its original version of iOS. Like I said, I wish it worked like that, but it doesn’t.

And like I also said, this isn’t the only example: it’s as if I were to say to an iPhone 6 user on iOS 8: “you should update to iOS 12 because there aren’t any glaring issues and my iPhone Xʀ is flawless”. iOS 12 is utterly abhorrent on an iPhone 6, both in terms of battery life and performance.

Glaring issues aren’t everything; in fact, I’d go as far as to say that they aren’t all too relevant, because like you said, they’re typically fixed, unlike the absolute obliteration of every iOS device ever by irreversible iOS updates.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Those glaring, device-breaking issues are fixed quickly and aren’t the point.

We're talking about major software bugs in the initial release which would indicate a user should wait to update. Seems quite relevant to me.

iOS 12 is utterly abhorrent on an iPhone 6, both in terms of battery life and performance.

Different issue. You do have a point that your experience on an older phone might not be optimal based on the age of the phone. The fact that older phones may struggle with a later OS release is a totally different thing than a flawed OS release (which doesn't seem to be the case for IOS 17) which causes crashes or other unexpected behavior. You can't expect a Model T to be able to run at Autobahn speeds.

The title of the post is "wait until next year" for IOS 17. Based upon the data that I have seen what you will get next year is exactly what you will get if you update now so there is no reason to wait worrying about IOS bugs. How it will perform on your phone, as you say, depends.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Different issue. You do have a point that your experience on an older phone might not be optimal based on the age of the phone. The fact that older phones may struggle with a later OS release is a totally different thing than a flawed OS release (which doesn't seem to be the case for IOS 17) which causes crashes or other unexpected behavior. You can't expect a Model T to be able to run at Autobahn speeds.

The title of the post is "wait until next year" for IOS 17. Based upon the data that I have seen what you will get next year is exactly what you will get if you update now so there is no reason to wait worrying about IOS bugs. How it will perform on your phone, as you say, depends.
I agree completely with this, but... are they really separate issues?

“There aren’t glaring issues, but it won’t work too well anyway”. It’s why I don’t really see a point in the “I’ll update late in the cycle to prevent these glaring issues”, because even though a .6 update is undeniably better than the original release... it is pretty poor anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.