Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
So, if you are still on ios 16, when dyou you plan to get on ios 17? When is it ”safe”.

I am on 13 pro.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
So, if you are still on ios 16, when dyou you plan to get on ios 17? When is it ”safe”.

I am on 13 pro.
I’ll keep waiting until I see it has less bugs (yes I know, there is no software without bugs), and most importantly, manages better the battery life, something that apparently got worse for A15 devices with 17.4

If I have to wait until 17.6 or 17.7, so be it. I’m not in a hurry.

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
I’ll keep waiting until I see it has less bugs (yes I know, there is no software without bugs), and most importantly, manages better the battery life, something that apparently got worse for A15 devices with 17.4

If I have to wait until 17.6 or 17.7, so be it. I’m not in a hurry.

I will probably wait also! My battery is around 750 cycles and 89%.
My plan is to replace battery next year.

Ios 16 killed my battery in the begining. I hade to charge it sometimes twice per day.

Will you write here when its time for upgrade to ios 17? 😅

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The best time would be once iOS 18 is released to the public... iOS 17.6/17.7/17.8 should have been available by then...

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The best time would be once iOS 18 is released to the public... iOS 17.6/17.7/17.8 should have been available by then...
The problem with some of those builds is that they usually are OTA only, and for people that like to perform a clean install that’s not an option.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
The problem with some of those builds is that they usually are OTA only, and for people that like to perform a clean install that’s not an option.
iOS 14.8 was released on 13 September 2021
iOS 15.0 was released on 20 September 2021

iOS 15.7 was released on 12 September 2022
iOS 16.0 was released on 12 September 2022

iOS 16.6.1 was released on 7 September 2023
iOS 16.7 was released on 21 September 2023
iOS 17.0 was released on 18 September 2023

I was able to download an IPSW of iOS 16.7 for iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 14 Pro Max even though it is only made available for A11 Bionic devices not eligible/compatible with iOS 17 upgrade... As much as I want to switch to smaller devices, I am hesitant to do that since the next device might be already on iOS 17

EDIT:
Correction, I downloaded an IPSW of iOS 16.6 RC then updated OTA to iOS 16.7 then installed the block OTA profile which caused me to not see OTA of iOS 16.7.1 and iOS 16.7.2

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
iOS 14.8 was released on 13 September 2021
iOS 15.0 was released on 20 September 2021

iOS 15.7 was released on 12 September 2022
iOS 16.0 was released on 12 September 2022

iOS 16.6.1 was released on 7 September 2023
iOS 16.7 was released on 21 September 2023
iOS 17.0 was released on 18 September 2023

I was able to download an IPSW of iOS 16.7 for iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 14 Pro Max even though it is only made available for A11 Bionic devices not eligible/compatible with iOS 17 upgrade... As much as I want to switch to smaller devices, I am hesitant to do that since the next device might be already on iOS 17
Good to know, but unfortunately I was unavailable to find an IPSW for my iPhone SE3 and my M2 iPad Pro, so I got stuck on iOS 16.6.1 on all my devices. Which, by the way, works wonderfully: pretty stable, fast, snappy, and outstanding battery life (I usually get between 7 and 8 hours of SOT on my SE3 despite its smaller battery).

So, yeah, I’ll probably wait until 17.6 or 17.7 if I’m able to find the IPSW of the latest. Unless 17.5 turns out to be a great release in those regards (bugs and battery life).

Also, now I’m appreciating even more my iPhone SE3, as it will likely be the last iPhone made with an LCD display, comfortable with my eyes, and at a compact, robust size that allows me to handle it easily with just one hand, and withstands falls without even a scratch. So ruining it by installing a flawed version of iOS isn’t among my plans, honestly.

Now, what I’m really thinking about, is if I should update my M2 iPad Pro even if I don’t update my iPhone. I usually update all my devices at once, iPhone, iPad and Mac, to the same generational software to maximize interoperability. On the Mac, given that I’m stuck with Monterey, I only update Safari to the equivalent to the iOS/iPadOS I’m running on other devices. That way, I’m currently at 16.6.1 on my iOS/iPadOS devices, and running Safari 16 on Monterey. I’m afraid that if I update to Safari 17 on Monterey and I’m still on iOS 16.6.1 on my other devices, the new profiles feature could cause troubles.

On the other hand, I really want to update my M2 iPad Pro to iPadOS 17 because of the much improved stage manager, and hoping some bugs on the external display experience to be finally fixed and have a more polished experience.

But I’m not sure if having an iPad on 17.4, an iPhone on 16.6.1 and a Mac with Monterey with Safari 16 is a good idea.

If anyone is using this combination of devices and software please let me know!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Good to know, but unfortunately I was unavailable to find an IPSW for my iPhone SE3 and my M2 iPad Pro, so I got stuck on iOS 16.6.1 on all my devices. Which, by the way, works wonderfully: pretty stable, fast, snappy, and outstanding battery life (I usually get between 7 and 8 hours of SOT on my SE3 despite its smaller battery).

So, yeah, I’ll probably wait until 17.6 or 17.7 if I’m able to find the IPSW of the latest. Unless 17.5 turns out to be a great release in those regards (bugs and battery life).

Also, now I’m appreciating even more my iPhone SE3, as it will likely be the last iPhone made with an LCD display, comfortable with my eyes, and at a compact, robust size that allows me to handle it easily with just one hand, and withstands falls without even a scratch. So ruining it by installing a flawed version of iOS isn’t among my plans, honestly.

Now, what I’m really thinking about, is if I should update my M2 iPad Pro even if I don’t update my iPhone. I usually update all my devices at once, iPhone, iPad and Mac, to the same generational software to maximize interoperability. On the Mac, given that I’m stuck with Monterey, I only update Safari to the equivalent to the iOS/iPadOS I’m running on other devices. That way, I’m currently at 16.6.1 on my iOS/iPadOS devices, and running Safari 16 on Monterey. I’m afraid that if I update to Safari 17 on Monterey and I’m still on iOS 16.6.1 on my other devices, the new profiles feature could cause troubles.

On the other hand, I really want to update my M2 iPad Pro to iPadOS 17 because of the much improved stage manager, and hoping some bugs on the external display experience to be finally fixed and have a more polished experience.

But I’m not sure if having an iPad on 17.4, an iPhone on 16.6.1 and a Mac with Monterey with Safari 16 is a good idea.

If anyone is using this combination of devices and software please let me know!
Which incompatibility issues are you expecting, exactly? I’ve been running mismatched iOS versions since I got my first iPad and my first iPhone, and the only issue has been that an aspect of collaborative notes available on iPadOS 15 doesn’t work on iOS 12, but the rest of the note is visible on iOS 12 regardless.

Everything else works fine. (iPad Air 5, iPadOS 15; iPhone Xʀ, iOS 12; MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan!)

Reactions: Populus

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
I don’t think so, I usually comment on the thread that @Banglazed opens each time a new release is out. I hadn’t read this particular thread in a long time.

But as we can se, the 17.4 is out but i dont se any more beta version after.

Are they going straight to ios 17.5 or what will happend

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.