Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Just curious to hear everyone’s decision on what screen size they went for and why.

I personally went for the 15” for side by side windows easier.

Lerten

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
13-inch, portability + I'm used to the size, always went for the 13 inch option (I even owned a 12 inch MacBook for a bit!)

Reactions: MacUser1

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
13 inch. No contest—I want the most powerful Mac that is the most portable. Once you go to the 15, you start wondering if you should have the MBP, and it's all blurry.

Reactions: MacUser1 and Biko65

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
13 inch. No contest—I want the most powerful Mac that is the most portable. Once you go to the 15, you start wondering if you should have the MBP, and it's all blurry.
Why 15” is blurry while you’re fine with 13”? Both have same display

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I had an M1 MBA 13, and just recently got the M2 (M3? Whatever the newest one is) MBA 15. I got it for the bigger screen when working on the road.

Haven’t been on the road yet. The 15 is noticeably bigger, which I don’t like. If the larger screen size proves to be beneficial to me when using it, then that’ll be worth it to me tho.

I want the size of the 13 (hell, the old MB 12), with the screen size of the 15 (actually the old MBP 17). Apple needs to work on repealing the laws of physics…

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
I had an M1 MBA 13, and just recently got the M2 (M3? Whatever the newest one is) MBA 15. I got it for the bigger screen when working on the road.

Haven’t been on the road yet. The 15 is noticeably bigger, which I don’t like. If the larger screen size proves to be beneficial to me when using it, then that’ll be worth it to me tho.

I want the size of the 13 (hell, the old MB 12), with the screen size of the 15 (actually the old MBP 17). Apple needs to work on repealing the laws of physics…
I’m on the same page. I feel your pain about the larger size of the 15” coming from an M1 MBA 13. I think though overtime the 15” doesn’t feel as bad. It will take time getting used to it.

Reactions: Saturn007

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
My wife got a 15" Air - she wanted a larger screen than 13" macbook pro she was comeing from. Her 15" Air is FAR more portable than m2 16" MacBook pro that work assigned me. Her Air laptop is quite thin and a feels so much lighter to carry. The 15" air also has better speakers and a bigger trackpad than 13". 15" has a larger battery, but I think the battery LIFE is the same between two models.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The whole point of an MBA is to be as small, light and portable as possible while still having planty of power and long battery life - so 13” MBA it is.
Yeah, this is how I see it too. If I need more screen real estate, I just plug into my inexpensive (~$100) 24" 1080p external monitor.

Reactions: geta

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
15" has an easier to read screen which did not feel as cramped and is not that much heavier than the 13" (it is slightly lighter than the 14" MBPro). We had the 13" and also found the 15" easier on our older eyes. Both the 13" and 15" screens are nowhere near as good as the Pros, but adequate for most general uses. Our 15" MBA spends most of its time on the coffee table and is grabbed when we need to get emails, do some on line ordering etc. My wife and I both have 16" Pros and desktops for heavy lifting (metaphorically and physically).

Reactions: ascender

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
I personally went for the 15” for side by side windows easier.

Which apps are you using for side-by-side windows?

I have both 13” and 15” Macs and am wondering what your set up is….

Whenever I’m writing, calculating, or browsing I tend to fill up much of the screen with the window of the app I'm working with. The extra real estate is good for having a window of another app sitting there in the background, peeking out, ready to be clicked on — but I could never fit my documents side-by-side. The docs would be cramped, too narrow! I like my Word docs, Excel spreads, and Safari windows large!

But maybe I’m missing something obvious!

Reactions: Slix

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I debated for a few weeks before deciding on a 13" M2 last summer. I had a 2012 MacBook Air 13", so the size difference was either a bit smaller physically than what I was used to, or a bit bigger. I decided on a bit smaller since I don't really need the screen real estate that badly, and portability is awesome.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Last days I used my 15" in clamshell mode and right now I use the laptop screen. It's so beautiful, so even, so smooth. Today I was in an electronics store. In the apple corner I had a look to the MacBooks. I have to say that I like the design of the MBA MUCH more than that of the MBPs. So slim, beautiful colors.
Even with the already old M3 it's a great device. Could be cheaper especially in Europe. Or they could make at least the upgrades (RAM+storage) cheaper.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I went for the 13". Slightly lighter than the 15" but that is not the real reason.

I also travel, on airplanes (ugh), sometimes long trips to Europe. The 13" fits nicely on the tray table, even in Comfort+ seats. The person across the aisle had a 15" and it just seemed awkward to me with the way they were using the machine. Tray tables are not known for their expansive space. Maybe they are a clumsy clod and that made it look awkward.

I traveled extensively on the trains in Germany, one trip being 8+ hours, in 1st class. The 13" M2 Air fit nicely on the tray table on the train. 15" may have been awkward. Don't even think about usage in coach for either device.

For others, it depends on their use or needs. There really is no correct answer that fits everyone. At home I have a 24" monitor, wife has 21". She is happy, I am happy. We have different uses. Sort of like the MacBooks.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I recently switched to a 15" Air for the larger screen which means more space and I find that easier on my eyes (no idea why) as well as giving me more space.

I do have access to monitors here, but its nice to be able to work for extended periods of time not at my desk and if I'm at a client site.

The only downside is the footprint, so if you're working somewhere with limited space, it takes up a lot of room compared to a 13/14".

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
As to the topic at hand, I have a 13” 2015 Intel MBA 1 TB and a 15” M2 MBA 512 GB.

Still doing most all of my work on the 13” even after many months. It's inertia, habit, the SD card reader, the larger SSD, and Word & Excel (would have to buy new for the 15”).

The 15” screen is amazing — bright, colorful, large. Battery life incredible. Synching and photo import so much faster.

It’s about the same size and heft as my 13”.

The biggest factor that leaves me still working with the 13” is that I know switching over will be an all-day affair!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
15" because 13" is far too small. In fact 15" feels kinda small to me. I wish it was 17".

I've always wanted a large macbook but for a long time apple locked screen size behind the MBP which is stupidly overkill and expensive for my needs. So a 15" MBA is perfect for me. I was going to get the M2 model but I knew i could hold out for M3.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I got a 15" Air to replace my 14" Pro and after months of owning, I still don't regret my decisions. It boils down to these key points: screen size, weight, fan (or lack thereof) and heat.

If Apple was selling a 17" Air, I would have bought that instead.

"Point of an Air is small, light, portable"?
I respectfully disagree. Point of an "air" device is to just simply be lighter than other lines (Pro?). It does not have to be smaller or more portable. Otherwise why not call the iPhone Mini or the iPad Mini just iPhone Air and iPad Air?

holztiger

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
Went for the 15“ after 13“ tested. As I am not travelling daily with my MBA using it mainly quasi-stationary but not always connected to ext. displays I prefer the bigger screen size.
Better speakers, bigger trackpad and bigger battery capacity are also advantages over the 13“.
If you use it mainly mobile the more compact size is an advantage of the 13“.
If you and/or connect it only to dock/ext.display at home, no need for 15“.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
The 13 model is actually 13.6" so only 1.4" gained on the 15 model Air. Not enough of a benefit to have to go from 2.8lbs to 3.3lbs. That's 0.5lbs difference is very noticable.

Reactions: halledise

holztiger

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
The 13 model is actually 13.6" so only 1.4" gained on the 15 model Air. Not enough of a benefit to have to go from 2.8lbs to 3.3lbs. That's 0.5lbs difference is very noticable.
1.7“ not 1.4“ sure not too much difference but for me it was enough to go for the 15.3“ display.

Reactions: helloapple1

profH

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Pasadena, CA
In real world use that screen size difference feels huge and that weight difference feels small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.