Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
The 13 model is actually 13.6" so only 1.4" gained on the 15 model Air. Not enough of a benefit to have to go from 2.8lbs to 3.3lbs. That's 0.5lbs difference is very noticable.

It’s 13,6“ vs. 15,3“ so it’s 1,7“ difference.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Small digression but does anyone have any experience of the 15" Air speaker quality in comparison to the 2016 era 15" Intel MacBook Pro?

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
As to the topic at hand, I have a 13” 2015 Intel MBA 1 TB and a 15” M2 MBA 512 GB.

Still doing most all of my work on the 13” even after many months. It's inertia, habit, the SD card reader, the larger SSD, and Word & Excel (would have to buy new for the 15”).

The 15” screen is amazing — bright, colorful, large. Battery life incredible. Synching and photo import so much faster.

It’s about the same size and heft as my 13”.

The biggest factor that leaves me still working with the 13” is that I know switching over will be an all-day affair!
AND you wouldn't have the SD reader...which is a bummer IMO. I just put a new battery in my 2015 MBA, and just did the 12.7.5 update. I think I'll be sticking with it for a while yet. If they still offer a 15" MBA when I'm ready to upgrade that's what I'll most likely get. Easier on the aging eyes...

Last edited:

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I’m still debating on this, I want to get an Air to carry with me everywhere I go while I leave my M2 Pro at home.

Going to take a trip down the Apple Store and check it out tbh

Saturn007

macrumors 65832
Jul 18, 2010
As to comparing screen sizes… it's not the diagonal that matters — that's only one dimension — but the area of the screen!

For a ballpark approximation, you can compare the squares of those diagonals — i.e., 15.3” squared vs. 13.6” squared. That's roughly 234 ÷ 185 = 1.27. 27% bigger!

So, the M series 15.3” MBA has about 27% more area than the 13.6” one.

A BIG difference!

Case in point — using actual measurements of the displays.

2023 15.3” M2 MBA

Display is 8.25” wide by 13” wide = 107 sq. in.

vs.

2015 13.3” MBA

Display is 7” high by 11.38” wide = 80 sq.in.

Hence, the 15” has 34% more display area!

Beyond the numbers, just looking at the displays shows you what a difference there is.

OTOH, the 13.6” is markedly lighter, easier to hold, and feels more comfortable to schlep. That half pound weight difference matters to many — and it isn't the whole story.

It's the sheer physical size of the 15.3”, its density, its heft, and the feel that matter. For many, the smaller MBA is simply easier to handle, to carry, and fits in cramped quarters where the 15.3 doesn't.

——————

OTOH, as another data point — I directly compared holding and lifting the M2 14” MBP vs. the 15” MBA and, even though they weigh about the same (3.5 vs. 3.3lbs), the 15” felt lighter and easier to handle than the 14”, which felt dense, heftier, and had greater resistance.

Last edited:

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
I’m still debating on this, I want to get an Air to carry with me everywhere I go while I leave my M2 Pro at home.

Going to take a trip down the Apple Store and check it out tbh
must be nice to be able to have both.. did you really need the MBP? I've debated whether or not to get the MBP over the Air.. if just to keep the SD reader capability and the additional USBC/TB port. I need to get at least 2TB storage and 16/24gb ram so the extra cost of the MBP is really kinda out of reach for me I think, especially since I don't do high power work on this..atm.. Maybe by the time I actually upgrade things will be better/more capabilities in the MBA, like the additional ports.

Last edited:

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I already have a 16 inch M1 Pro MBP, so I was looking for a very light, very portable laptop. The 13 inch MBA is noticeably lighter than the 15 inch, so I went with the 13 inch MBA.

If I did not already have a 16 inch M-series MBP, I probably would have gone with the 14 inch MBP, since it amazingly is not much heavier than the 13 inch MBA, as a my sole laptop. That said, I'm very glad I got the 13 inch MBA since I use it every day just carting it from room to room (and now that it's warm, out onto the deck) .

Reactions: roncron

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
As to comparing screen sizes… it's not the diagonal that matters — that's only one dimension — but the area of the screen!

For a ballpark approximation, you can compare the squares of those diagonals — i.e., 15.3” squared vs. 13.6” squared. That's roughly 234 ÷ 185 = 1.27. 27% bigger!

A BIG difference!

2023 15” MBA
Display is 13” high x 8.25“ wide = 107 sq. in.

vs.

2015 13.3” MBA

Beyond the numbers, just looking at the displays shows you what a difference there is.

OTOH, the 13.6” is markedly lighter, easier to hold, and feels more comfortable to schlep. That half pound weight difference matters to many — and it isn't the whole story.

It's the sheer physical size of the 15.3”, its density, its heft, and the feel that matter. For many, the smaller MBA is simply easier to handle, to carry, and fits in cramped quarters where the 15.3 doesn't.
The 15” is not as big & thick as other 15” laptops out there. It still can fit with 14” case (which I currently used).

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
How unstable is the 15" in the airplane tables or an European high speed train (AVE in Spain)? That's my biggest use case outside the coffee shops..

A BIG difference!

2023 15” MBA
Display is 13” high x 8.25“ wide = 107 sq. in.

vs.

2015 13.3” MBA

That's exactly my thoughts towards the 15", but I do a lot strolling around coffee shops, markets, trains and airplanes.

I'm worried about the 'physical side things of the 15" not fitting in the places I'm going through..

must be nice to be able to have both.. did you really need the MBP? I've debated whether or not to get the MBP over the Air.. if just to keep the SD reader capability and the additional USBC/TB port. I need to get at least 2TB storage and 16/24gb ram so the extra cost of the MBP is really kinda out of reach for me I think, especially since I don't do high power work on this..atm.. Maybe by the time I actually upgrade things will be better/more capabilities in the MBA, like the additional ports.
Yes, I have dual 5K displays. Whenever they are connected to the display they are using 2.3GB of memory just for the Window Server alone to drive the displays.

I have SD Cards connect to the MBP to edit photos without any dongles, when I shoot some photos when I'm traveling I try to take as less stuff as possible.. Back in the 16'-21' era I needed a dongle lol.

For me it's usually about ports and the base model having Dual Screen support at the time, I bought the M1 Pro but the battery went to 78% cycles within a year and when I contacted Apple they didn't have M1 Pro stock so they gave me a M2 Pro base model when I drove by the Apple Store.

I love my MBP, but there's a bit of weight to it that doesn't fit under my armpit or isn't as lightweight as the 12".

Back in the day.. I did the combo of 15/16" for work or attaching to the screen when needed and carried the 12" around coffee shops and trips since I would be just focusing on Terminal/Coding with 2 things open.

I do miss having a 12" or getting the 13" Air.

Reactions: helloapple1

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I still have a 15" MBP 2015, but have used an M2 15" MBA extensively (it's in the family) and also M1 13" MBAs

What I've learned is that my eyes just can't do 13's anymore without dialing up the scaling, which makes things too cramped on that physical size.

For me it's "minimum 15" class/size" now

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I don't think it's that big a decision really, but I prefer the 13" for portability.

Obviously the 15" is ALSO portable, and the weight difference is really not huge in the context of a backpack with other items in it.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Everyone's needs and preferences are different, and I'm happy that Apple sells the excellent MBA in two compelling sizes.

For me, the 15" MBA is the ideal size and the 13" MBA is the "iPad mini" version, the one you take when you're traveling and need to minimize the bulk and weight of whatever you bring.

I've had a lot of 13" Macbooks over the years. It was an easy choice when the other option was a 15" or 16" MBP that cost around $1000 more and had a lot more power and tech than I needed. And weighed a lot more.

Now that there's a 15" MBA, that costs and IMHO weighs just a little more than the 13" model, it's a no brainer. The 15" MBA is the sweet spot for me. My most common use-case requires having two documents or spreadsheets on the screen at the same time, side by side. On the 13.6" M2 MBA, text in both documents was too small to comfortably read, so I depended on external monitors. But I can't bring an external monitor on a trip or to the coffee shop or a coworker's office. The 15" M3 MBA's display is big enough for my needs, so external monitors are now a luxury I can easily live without, not a necessity.

The 15" is 0.5 lbs heavier than the 13", and when carrying the 15" in my laptop case, I can't feel the extra weight. That weight difference is about the same or slightly less weight than the typical paperback book.

The 15" MBA's footprint is bigger, but this is only an issue on airplane seat-back trays. On a plane, I just put the tray up and have the 15" laptop on the top of my lap. It's still a bit cramped. But for me it's a very small and very worthwhile trade-off.

And more generally, using the MBA on my lap, the 15" model is a little more stable than the 13" was.

While the 15" size is better for my needs, the 13" M2/M3 MBA is nonetheless absolutely amazing. It boggles my mind that such a great computer can fit into such a small, thin, light, and solidly made device. If I could afford to have both I would get a 13" MBA, too.

Last edited:

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Everyone's needs and preferences are different, and I'm happy that Apple sells the excellent MBA in two compelling sizes.

For me, the 15" MBA is the ideal size and the 13" MBA is the "iPad mini" version, the one you take when you're traveling and need to minimize the bulk and weight of whatever you bring.

I've had a lot of 13" Macbooks over the years. It was an easy choice when the other option was a 15" or 16" MBP that cost around $1000 more and had a lot more power and tech than I needed. And weighed a lot more.

Now that there's a 15" MBA, that costs and IMHO weighs just a little more than the 13" model, it's a no brainer. The 15" MBA is the sweet spot for me. My most common use-case requires having two documents or spreadsheets on the screen at the same time, side by side. On the 13.6" M2 MBA, text in both documents was too small to comfortably read, so I depended on external monitors. But I can't bring an external monitor on a trip or to the coffee shop or a coworker's office. The 15" M3 MBA's display is big enough for my needs, so external monitors are now a luxury I can easily live without, not a necessity.

The 15" is 0.5 lbs heavier than the 13", and when carrying the 15" in my laptop case, I can't feel the extra weight. That weight difference is about the same or slightly less weight than the typical paperback book.

The 15" MBA's footprint is bigger, but this is only an issue on airplane seat-back trays. On a plane, I just put the tray up and have the 15" laptop on the top of my lap. It's still a bit cramped. But for me it's a very small and very worthwhile trade-off.

And more generally, using the MBA on my lap, the 15" model is a little more stable than the 13" was.

While the 15" size is better for my needs, the 13" M2/M3 MBA is nonetheless absolutely amazing. It boggles my mind that such a great computer can fit into such a small, thin, light, and solidly made device. If I could afford to have both I would get a 13" MBA, too.
Really great summary and reasons between owning each one.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I still have a 15" MBP 2015, but have used an M2 15" MBA extensively (it's in the family) and also M1 13" MBAs

What I've learned is that my eyes just can't do 13's anymore without dialing up the scaling, which makes things too cramped on that physical size.

For me it's "minimum 15" class/size" now

it is amazing how much I feel similarly after having 13 inch laptops exclusively for like 10 or 15 years now and then getting the m2 15 air, and every time I hop on my 2016 nTB MBP13 or someone's 13" laptop

Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
it is amazing how much I feel similarly after having 13 inch laptops exclusively for like 10 or 15 years now and then getting the m2 15 air, and every time I hop on my 2016 nTB MBP13 or someone's 13" laptop
M2 15” worth getting now? Good sales on here.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
r
M2 15” worth getting now? Good sales on here.

If you can snag a really good deal absolutely IMO

M3 is a stop gap and not appreciably better for the average person from what I can tell. No fomo here going for it towards end of last year

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
r

If you can snag a really good deal absolutely IMO

M3 is a stop gap and not appreciably better for the average person from what I can tell. No fomo here going for it towards end of last year
M2 15" 16/1TB is $200AUD cheaper than a 11" iPad and MGK.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Looks like both 13" and 15" M3 are out of stock here in Spain outside of the usual places where it's most expensive. I'll continue to wait for a good deal as I have my 14" Pro

Thanks for your feedback, for my an additional external screen when traveling (while working) is important as I share my screen a lot and it's useful to be able to have my own internal display to search for things and answer messages and etc..

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I originally bought the Base 15" M2 MBA in midnight. While the computer itself was fine. I found myself not liking the fingerprint magnet and the limited RAM/Storage. So when they released the 13" MBA M3 I opted to upgrade the color to space gray and RAM/Storage and went smaller to the 13". So having owned both sizes I prefer the 13" for space consideration since I mostly use it on my desk with my Gaming PC on the opposite side. And I use it in conjunction with my 34" UW monitor as the primary with the Laptop screen as secondary. This works well for me. The only thing I wish is they added support for UW Monitors and hiDPI at it's Native Resolution.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I originally bought the Base 15" M2 MBA in midnight. While the computer itself was fine. I found myself not liking the fingerprint magnet and the limited RAM/Storage. So when they released the 13" MBA M3 I opted to upgrade the color to space gray and RAM/Storage and went smaller to the 13". So having owned both sizes I prefer the 13" for space consideration since I mostly use it on my desk with my Gaming PC on the opposite side. And I use it in conjunction with my 34" UW monitor as the primary with the Laptop screen as secondary. This works well for me. The only thing I wish is they added support for UW Monitors and hiDPI at it's Native Resolution.
Yep I also have a 34" QHD monitor and it's a big pain when it comes to this.

These days I have my Mac connected to 2x 1440p G-Sync 240Hz displays as it's the same desk for my Gaming rig as well.

Honestly I'm not thinking of upgrading the monitors until some 4K OLED monitors become cheaper as it's the same desk for both gaming and work.

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
I had an M1 MBA 13, and just recently got the M2 (M3? Whatever the newest one is) MBA 15. I got it for the bigger screen when working on the road.

Haven’t been on the road yet. The 15 is noticeably bigger, which I don’t like. If the larger screen size proves to be beneficial to me when using it, then that’ll be worth it to me tho.

I want the size of the 13 (hell, the old MB 12), with the screen size of the 15 (actually the old MBP 17). Apple needs to work on repealing the laws of physics…
How are you finding the 15”?

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
How are you finding the 15”?

I'm in the middle of my firs trip with the 15". Overall, for the obvious reasons -- increased screen size -- I prefer the 15". The larger screen size is just so much nicer to have.

Weight-wise I can't say I really notice the difference between 15" and my old 13" M1 MBA when in my laptop bag.

Size-wise, it definitely doesn't feel (or is) as portable as the 13". The 13" (particularly the old M1 wedge-style) had an iPad-esque feel to it almost, which I don't get from the 15".

I didn't use the laptop on both flights I've been on this week. I meekly admit that I only fly First Class, so don't really expect any issues for the laptop not fitting on the tray table.

In the hotel, it's much nicer having the 15" to work on. The keyboard is the same to my fingers as the M1's. The screen size is so so so nice. I run my default resolution as one notch bigger than the default. For apps where I need the extra real estate, I then go up to the default resolution.

Before traveling, I used the 15" on the couch at home. It's a bit more unwieldy at first coming from the 13", but after a few times becomes normal.

I have the 24gb/1tb version ... I had the 16gb/512gb version of the M1 MBA. I got the 24gb because I run Windows on a virtual machine, and have to dedicate ram to it.. Interestingly, whereas with my M2 Pro Mini 32gb my usual working environment uses 24-26 gb, the same setup on the 15" M2 MBA uses only 18-20 gb. Both rarely if ever swap to disk.

I can't say I can tell that the M3 is any faster than the M1, or any faster or slower than the M2 Pro. Which makes sense based on what I use it for -- office applications.

I do still prefer the wedge style of the old M1 MBA, but have no issues with the new style.

Overall, I don't think I'd go with a 13" again ... I like the increased screen real estate that much.

The only nit I have with the MBA is that I really wish one of the USB-C ports was on the right side.

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
I'm in the middle of my firs trip with the 15". Overall, for the obvious reasons -- increased screen size -- I prefer the 15". The larger screen size is just so much nicer to have.

Weight-wise I can't say I really notice the difference between 15" and my old 13" M1 MBA when in my laptop bag.

Size-wise, it definitely doesn't feel (or is) as portable as the 13". The 13" (particularly the old M1 wedge-style) had an iPad-esque feel to it almost, which I don't get from the 15".

I didn't use the laptop on both flights I've been on this week. I meekly admit that I only fly First Class, so don't really expect any issues for the laptop not fitting on the tray table.

In the hotel, it's much nicer having the 15" to work on. The keyboard is the same to my fingers as the M1's. The screen size is so so so nice. I run my default resolution as one notch bigger than the default. For apps where I need the extra real estate, I then go up to the default resolution.

Before traveling, I used the 15" on the couch at home. It's a bit more unwieldy at first coming from the 13", but after a few times becomes normal.

I have the 24gb/1tb version ... I had the 16gb/512gb version of the M1 MBA. I got the 24gb because I run Windows on a virtual machine, and have to dedicate ram to it.. Interestingly, whereas with my M2 Pro Mini 32gb my usual working environment uses 24-26 gb, the same setup on the 15" M2 MBA uses only 18-20 gb. Both rarely if ever swap to disk.

I can't say I can tell that the M3 is any faster than the M1, or any faster or slower than the M2 Pro. Which makes sense based on what I use it for -- office applications.

I do still prefer the wedge style of the old M1 MBA, but have no issues with the new style.

Overall, I don't think I'd go with a 13" again ... I like the increased screen real estate that much.

The only nit I have with the MBA is that I really wish one of the USB-C ports was on the right side.
Thanks for the detailed update. I concur with all of what you said as I'm coming from an M1 MBA air to a 15" MBA as well.

I think I'm still trying to get used to the bigger size, but overall it is much nicer on the eyes than the 13". It's just I've been using the 13" for several years so I keep that in mind when using the 15".

I agree about preferring the wedge style of the M1 more than the updated MBA design. It makes it easier to pick up and hold imo.

edit: if you haven't yet, try putting it into Low Power Mode while only on battery and it extends the battery life of the machine A LOT without any noticeable difference (depending on your use case).

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I agree about preferring the wedge style of the M1 more than the updated MBA design. It makes it easier to pick up and hold imo.

edit: if you haven't yet, try putting it into Low Power Mode while only on battery and it extends the battery life of the machine A LOT without any noticeable difference (depending on your use case).

The wedge style is/was so iconic, it's sort of a shame they got rid of it. The newer style is nice, but just not as distinctive. I imagine that the newer style permitted Apple to get the 15 inch (in particular) as thin as it is.

I'll try out low power mode ... the only thing I've noticed that really saps my battery life is keeping the Windows VM active, which sorta makes sense. There may be a way to tell Parallels to use the efficiency cores and I just haven't found it, but Parallels tends to use just performance cores.

Reactions: helloapple1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.