Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
So when I was using Tidal for Atmos last night on the TV the AV Receiver was reporting DD+/Atmos which is the standard delivery method for streaming Atmos which is Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos which is the lossy encoded version, the receiver reports a sample rate of 48Khz.
The old DVD spec for standard Dolby Digital 5.1 was 384-640Kb/S whereas DTS could use up to 1.5Mb/S which is why a lot of geeks raves about DTS when comparing it to DD back in the day.

Dolby have gotten very good with compression and I reckon that DD+/Atmos of these music streams and indeed most Atmos streams from Netflix etc will be around 1Mb/S but probably not much more.

Only BluRay supports Dolby True HD with Atmos which gives you the lossless experience but I think the BitRate for that is somewhere around 6Mb/S - 18Mb/S so way too much for streaming.

The Xbox however has an odd Atmos implementation as it’s PCM/Atmos, dunno why it’s done this way but it works.

With regards to the music a matrix decoder such as the Dolby Surround encoder for Atmos receivers is very good, to the point where I just leave my receiver in that mode all the time. The only time it really struggles is if you throw really low quality stuff at it. Some of these songs don’t sound anywhere near as good as stereo through a Dolby Surround decoder.

The Papa Roach song and Linkin Park Hybrid Theory are clearly the demos that have been mixed as Atmos, in fact I’ve heard the Linkin Park stuff before on a bonus edition of Hybrid Theory with the demos as extra tracks, the only song that sounded decent to my ears out of the few I listened too was Cure For The Itch and coincidentally it was one of the only ones without a demo on the bonus track version of the album.

When Atmos audio is done right it’s transformative and sounds incredible, Limp Bizkit’s - ReArranged sounded awesome on Tidal last night as the “just think about it” record scratching moved around the sound field like you were stood in the centre of the record it moved in an almost 360° pattern from fronts to rears. So good Atmos can be done if the labels actually put some effort into it.

Reactions: BinksterCat

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
So after using Tidal for Atmos on my home theatre setup I have to say for the most part Atmos is incredible, most songs are dramatically better and have some real awesome discrete effects embedded in them. For example Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star the male vocal is anchored to the centre whilst the “ow a ow” female vocals come from behind, most songs have stuff like this in them and really expand them to fill the room.

Now there are clearly poor atmos songs on the service, Papa Roach & Linkin Park are terrible on both Apple Music & Tidal as it appears whoever mixed them used the demos rather than the proper versions, and unfortunately these bad examples will sour the service for a lot of people and I worry that if not enough people use Atmos because of inferior mixes like these then it will be relegated to an afterthought and we’ll go back to standard stereo and miss out on some really awesome stuff that can be done with Atmos.

My biggest complaint right now is the fact that Apple Music isn’t available on Smart TV’s and Games Consoles meaning either a £170 purchase of an Apple TV or a £20 a month Tidal subscription to be able to keep what I am currently enjoying, which unfortunately I am not going to do either. Apple seriously needs to get apps on Smart TV’s and Games consoles as these devices are able to output the Atmos to home receivers which is were the biggest impact of this new technology will be most impactful.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I think there are some albums that only have one or two songs in Atmos and those have been shoved into Apple’s demo playlists.

Some in the playlist are not even shown on the artists page. There's no album with the Dolby Atmos version. It's only in the playlist.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Kraftwerk - 3D The Catalogue is absolutely mental in Atmos, its not my kinda music normally but the Atmos is just mind blowing on it.
How can it be? When I view it on Apple Music is doesn't even support Atmos. It only shows Lossless and Apple Digital Master lol

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
How can it be? When I view it on Apple Music is doesn't even support Atmos. It only shows Lossless and Apple Digital Master lol

Because they have a set of tracks on that collection that aren’t Dolby Atmos so the album itself won’t indicate it’s Dolby atmos. All the tracks that have 3D after them are Atmos however.

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Because they have a set of tracks on that collection that aren’t Dolby Atmos so the album itself won’t indicate it’s Dolby atmos. All the tracks that have 3D after them are Atmos however.
Oh ok thanks for the explanation. Cool

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I was using Tidal at the time, most of the Atmos tracks are on both Apple Music and Tidal however Tidal has an app for my TV which Apple Music doesn’t and due to this I can play them through my Atmos setup which I couldn’t with Apple Music.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
The entire Eagles live from the forum album is in Dolby Atmos. But half the songs are out of place. So, when I tap on Hotel California, I get a different song. SMH

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
I don´t like how it sounds at all on my Airpods, or my Sony´s WH 1000 XM4. On my original homepods, however (stereo pair set as the default audio output of an Apple TV 4K), is another completely different story. Mastering and mixing, however, is key. Pop and rock is very hit and music, but I´m addicted to classical and orchestral music in Atmos. Absolutely amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.