Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t1mmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
Hey guys,

Getting some first aid errors on my Container disk3.

Examples are below:-

warning: inode (id 130831579): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Hide Details

The volume dev/rdisk3s6 appears to be OK.

Verifying allocated space.

Performing deferred repairs.

warning: need to clear bsd flags (0×20) in inode (object-id 118996502)

Skipped 2/2 repairs of this type in total.

warning: found orphan/invalid attr (id 118996502, name com.apple.decmpfs)

Skipped 2/2 repairs of this pe in total.

error: doc-id tree record exists for doc-id 181308, but no inode references this doc-id

Typically, are these erros anything to worry about?

My main drive is showing as fine when running first aid.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe you can try to find the files the id's are referring to?

Code:
sudo find /Volumes/thevolume -inum 130831579

I don't know what a doc-id is.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hey guys,

Getting some first aid errors on my Container disk3.

Examples are below:-

warning: inode (id 130831579): Resource Fork xattr is missing for compressed file

Hide Details

The volume dev/rdisk3s6 appears to be OK.

Verifying allocated space.

Performing deferred repairs.

warning: need to clear bsd flags (0×20) in inode (object-id 118996502)

Skipped 2/2 repairs of this type in total.

warning: found orphan/invalid attr (id 118996502, name com.apple.decmpfs)

Skipped 2/2 repairs of this pe in total.

error: doc-id tree record exists for doc-id 181308, but no inode references this doc-id

Typically, are these erros anything to worry about?

My main drive is showing as fine when running first aid.

My usual experience, running FA on the -Data volume, is that if you get “errors”, as opposed to “warnings”, it will not say “this volume appears to be OK” as yours does, and it will say “This volume is corrupt and needs to be repaired”.

Your experience seems to be different.

It is always worth running DU FA a few times from Recovery, as repairs sometimes work.

It seems to me that errors and warnings have become more common in the last year or so. I used to always do an erase/migrate from backup for warnings and errors that didn’t get repaired after a few runs. Now my policy is not to do anything provided it says “this volume appears be OK” and there is no message “This volume is corrupt and needs repair”.

Note: if you are not internal dual booting, you can use “Erase all content and settings” to return the machine to factory state then migrate from your backup. If you are dual booting it will wipe out the other install as well as the one with the problem.

Last edited:

t1mmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
So after further investigation, it appears to be disks3v5
My usual experience, running FA on the -Data volume, is that if you get “errors”, as opposed to “warnings”, it will not say “this volume appears to be OK” as yours does, and it will say “This volume is corrupt and needs to be repaired”.

Your experience seems to be different.

It is always worth running DU FA a few times from Recovery, as repairs sometimes work.

It seems to me that errors and warnings have become more common in the last year or so. I used to always do an erase/migrate from backup for warnings and errors that didn’t get repaired after a few runs. Now my policy is not to do anything provided it says “this volume appears be OK” and there is no message “This volume is corrupt and needs repair”.

Note if you are not dual booting, you can use “Erase all content and settings” to return the machine to factory state then migrate from your backup.

Hey Mike!

Thanks so much for the help!

Annoyingly, I'm getting both, it's so odd.

tempImageCjLQ6l.jpg

It's saying it's corrupt and needs to be restored, but then says it's OK afterwards? I've isolated the issue to rdisk3s5.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Panicing slightly as I'm a music producer and worried it's going to fail.

I formatted my TimeMachine drive earlier but I'm performing a backup now.

Cheers,
Tim

t1mmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
Please note, I'm not seeing any obvious mac issues, everything seems to be working as is.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
It's saying it's corrupt and needs to be restored, but then says it's OK afterwards?

I just looked back and see I have also had both the “corrupt” and “OK” messages on the same run, and sent an FB to Apple about it. It can’t be both!

If a few repeat runs, while booted from Recovery, don't fix it I would do an erase and migrate, which has always fixed them for me.

By nature I am always inclined to want to fix things I find wrong. OTOH there must be millions of people who never run Disk Utility First Aid and are not experiencing problems!….so your call!

t1mmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
I just looked back and see I have also had both the “corrupt” and “OK” messages on the same run, and sent an FB to Apple about it. It can’t be both!

If a few repeat runs, while booted from Recovery, don't fix it I would do an erase and migrate, which has always fixed them for me.
Thanks mate, I really hoped it wasn't something I had to do :(

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Is it OK to unmount "Macintosh - Data"?
Of course, unmount all volumes.

But, as Apple says in the beginning,
"Before proceeding, make sure that you have a current backup of your Mac, in case you need to recover damaged files or Disk Utility finds errors that it can't repair."

Reactions: katbel

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Please note, I'm not seeing any obvious mac issues, everything seems to be working as is.
Have to ask: any reason not to just "play dumb" and keep working with your Mac as-is (making frequent backups, of course)?

Seems like you're getting into a lot of potential disruption and time for something that may well be a glitch in DU.

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023
Disk utility and the one in recovery doesnt really run a comprehensive repair routine. to do it propery, do this

Boot into recovery, load terminal

"diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk3"
"fsck_apfs -oWT /dev/disk3"

ta-da

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
1. If you're running an Intel machine, do an SMC reset along a PR Ram reset. Yes, this isn't really software, but it's a good idea to clear things out.

2. I recommend you only use Disk Utility in Recovery or Target Disc Modes = when the drive is unmounted.

3. It's possible, from the looks of the screen shot, that Disk Utility did a repair. Could be the computer just needs a hard restart.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Disk utility and the one in recovery doesnt really run a comprehensive repair routine. to do it propery, do this

ta-da
Thanks. What does the “-oWT” part do that regular fsck_apfs (as done by DU) doesn’t? Guessing the “o” bit is overallocation repairs if needed.

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023
-o is as you say, overallocation checks and repairs
-W treats warnings as errors so it actually does something about the more wacky warnings
-T is node tree traversal, which finally fixed the strange errors i was getting that first aid refused to do anytying about

Running it on the /dev/disk3 will perform the repair om the entire drive, including any and all containers, volumes, partitions etc. i tried doing it on each individual on at first but was getting weird errors, but the command i listed works every time ive had a disk error pop up and is now my go-to

DaveMcL

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
Michigan
I'm facing a similar situation on my Data volume:
- When running FA, I get 3 occurrences of "error: doc-id tree: record exists for doc-id xxx, file-id yyy but no inode references this doc-id"
- Then the message: "The volume /dev/rdisk3s5 was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired."
- Following that: "Performing deferred repairs."
- And then: "Restoring the original state found as mounted."

Running again makes no difference, even in recovery mode.

I talked with a Apple Care senior advisor/engineer, and he said not to worry as long as I'm getting the green checkmark at the top of the output window, which I am.

I'm having no problems with the system, so I will just carry on for now and monitor the situation. I may try the suggestion for Siliconpsychosis later.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

ta-da
This has just worked brilliantly for me. Disk Utility was repeatedly reporting errors and "disk is corrupt" messages, and repeat runs did not fix.

The only problem I ran into with fsck_apfs was the drive was FileVaulted and fsck_apfs stopped with a message about unable to unlock. I did a bit of googling about this but decided it was easier to boot back to the volume and turn off FileVault. After that it worked. I dont know if there is a simple way to unlock from Terminal in Recovery?

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Reactions: Siliconpsychosis

63kiwi

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
This has just worked brilliantly for me. Disk Utility was repeatedly reporting errors and "disk is corrupt" messages, and repeat runs did not fix.

The only problem I ran into with fsck_apfs was the drive was FileVaulted and fsck_apfs stopped with a message about unable to unlock. I did a bit of googling about this but decided it was easier to boot back to the volume and turn off FileVault. After that it worked. I dont know if there is a simple way to unlock from Terminal in Recovery?

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Hi there
I have the same problem and when I ran disk utility before the last line would be "The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 appears to be OK" but after I ran the code:
... it changed the last line is "The volume /dev/rdisk3s1 with UUID1c76A ....
Please see attached photo
Any ideas how to change the name of my harddrive back to its original name?
Thanks
Andrew
(New Zealand)

Attachments

• IMG_4802.jpg
    IMG_4802.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 92

63kiwi

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
Hi there and thanks for replying. In the finder my hard drive is still named "Macintosh HD"

63kiwi

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
When I ran the code earlier there were a couple of questions asked relating to the HD and I wasn't sure how to answer so I just typed in "Y". is it possible that stuffed it up?

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023
When I ran the code earlier there were a couple of questions asked relating to the HD and I wasn't sure how to answer so I just typed in "Y". is it possible that stuffed it up?
its more likely that the original errors (and subsequent use of fsck_apfs) fixed a corrupeted disk /file/container name which was part of the original problem.

You should be able to rename the disk in disk utility

edit: in fact i dont think you have anything to worry about as first aid was just reporting the UUID of the volume

63kiwi

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
its more likely that the original errors (and subsequent use of fsck_apfs) fixed a corrupeted disk /file/container name which was part of the original problem.

You should be able to rename the disk in disk utility

edit: in fact i dont think you have anything to worry about as first aid was just reporting the UUID of the volume
thanks for your advice. in disk utility my hard drive has the right name (see attached photo) What is the UUID? Is there any way to remove it so it doesn't show after my volume/dev/rdisk3s1?

Thanks

Andrew
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 7.59.51 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.