Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
In the finder my hard drive is still named "Macintosh HD"

So just do a get info in Finder and rename it. Is it not working?

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 12.34.48.png

63kiwi

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
When I ran the code
"diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk3"
"fsck_apfs -oWT /dev/disk3"
a couple of questions asked relating to the HD and I wasn't sure how to answer in code so I just typed in "Y". is it possible that stuffed it upend how should I have answered the questions? I want to know before I run the code on my other iMac ? Thanks

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023
At this point i dont really understand what you are on about. Can you show a screenshot of the UUID and how you think it is incorrect ?

All drives have a UUID, they are meant to. Just because it is displayed somewhere doesnt mean its a problem. As you have already shown your drive name is still correct "Macintosh HD"

TimWellens

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
Disk utility and the one in recovery doesnt really run a comprehensive repair routine. to do it propery, do this

Boot into recovery, load terminal

"diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk3"
"fsck_apfs -oWT /dev/disk3"

ta-da
Hi there! I have exactly the same problem as OP . Scanning Macintosh HD -Data (in diskutility recovery mode)gives alot of these INODE errors and says the disk3s2 is corrupt and needs repairs but exit code is 0 and appears drive is ok.(screenshot 1).
So I typed in what you suggested in Termninal (still in recovery mode) but I get an error saying ‘failed to enable crypto I/O mode for container /dev/rdisk3: invalid argument

Please help,using disk Utility again still shows same inode problems

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_6127.jpeg
    IMG_6127.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6126.jpeg
    IMG_6126.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 58

TimWellens

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
Hi there! I have exactly the same problem as OP . Scanning Macintosh HD -Data (in diskutility recovery mode)gives alot of these INODE errors and says the disk3s2 is corrupt and needs repairs but exit code is 0 and appears drive is ok.(screenshot 1).
So I typed in what you suggested in Termninal (still in recovery mode) but I get an error saying ‘failed to enable crypto I/O mode for container /dev/rdisk3: invalid argument

Tim
Sorry screenshot 1 should be screenshot 2 and vice versa

TimWellens

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020

Tim
UPDATE!
I booted up normally and turn off FileVault like someone here suggested and the command works.
It still shows these INODE problems and they don’t get fixed. At the end it reads 28 Failures and 0 warnings issued ; Failing execution as requested.
(See screenshot)

Attachments

• IMG_6128.jpeg
    IMG_6128.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 56

TimWellens

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
As it says :) "they'll go away once the snapshot is deleted", referring to the com.apple.TimeMachine.2023-12-10-150349.local snapshot.
Apple: "About Time Machine local snapshots" https://support.apple.com/102154
I deleted the snapshot and indeed no more errors in Disk Utility Recovery mode.
The reason I ‘make a big deal’ about it is that my Etrecheck report comes with Poor Performance after upgrading from Monterey to Ventura. My older Etrecheck report when I just installed Monterey shows excellent performance.
Etrecheck says that even good performance (current Etrecheck Ventura report) is NOT GOOD as with SSD you should always have excellent,Good is only errr good when you have a mechanical drive,which I have not.
After checking with Disk Utility again in Recovery mode it doesn’t show any error or corruption anymore after deleting the offending APFS snapshot but still my Etrecheck report ranges from Poor performance and good performance after several runs (never excellent which it should as an SSD).

If someone can help me I would be very grateful,I can send the current Etrecheck report (Ventura) and older report (Monterey) if needed. I wanted to attach them here but for some reason I can’t select the files when I use attach files.
Cheers!

TimWellens

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
I deleted the snapshot and indeed no more errors in Disk Utility Recovery mode.
The reason I ‘make a big deal’ about it is that my Etrecheck report comes with Poor Performance after upgrading from Monterey to Ventura. My older Etrecheck report when I just installed Monterey shows excellent performance.
Etrecheck says that even good performance (current Etrecheck Ventura report) is NOT GOOD as with SSD you should always have excellent,Good is only errr good when you have a mechanical drive,which I have not.
After checking with Disk Utility again in Recovery mode it doesn’t show any error or corruption anymore after deleting the offending APFS snapshot but still my Etrecheck report ranges from Poor performance and good performance after several runs (never excellent which it should as an SSD).

If someone can help me I would be very grateful,I can send the current Etrecheck report (Ventura) and older report (Monterey) if needed. I wanted to attach them here but for some reason I can’t select the files when I use attach files.
Cheers!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The reason I ‘make a big deal’ about it is that my Etrecheck report comes with Poor Performance
In my opinion, you can ignore whatever EtreCheck is saying. Its messages are usually just a way to get people to buy the Pro version.
But the developer is represented on this forum @etresoft and will probably provide you with a reasonable explanation for those results.

TimWellens

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
Ifxkur
In my opinion, you can ignore whatever EtreCheck is saying. Its messages are usually just a way to get people to buy the Pro version.
But the developer is represented on this forum @etresoft and will probably provide you with a reasonable explanation for those results.
But I have the Pro version :)
Thnx for the info!

etresoft

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Well that's a pretty strong statement. Are you saying that "whatever" EtreCheck reports is simply some trick to get people to pay for the Power User package?

Any message that EtreCheck reports is based directly on some data point from its analysis. The whole idea is for people to generate a report, for free, and post it in a forum like this. Then people like you can read it, identify the data point that is causing one of those higher-level messages like "poor performance", and give someone some suggestions.
I recommend that people e-mail directly. Apparently, the MacRumors forum doesn't send e-mail notifications for DMs. EtreCheck has a built-in support messaging system that will, by default, include the current, anonymous EtreCheck report in the message so I don't have to ask for it. But like anyone else, I do need to see the report to make some evaluation.

Reactions: TimWellens
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.