Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hello, i am wondering if black bars bother you when you are watching movies content?
Its huge black bar and many lost space, do you prefer watching on iPad (4:3) or another device in 16/10 or 16/9?

Thanks you

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I love watching movies on my iPad. But ever since Widescreen became a thing, I have hated the black bars. Its annoying to me honestly. I will watch Netflix on my TV or iPhone in most cases before I settle for my iPad. Unless Im using Picture-in-picture, I rather watch on another device.

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Doesn't bother me on a massive tv, when the ratio isn't 16:9.

Does bother me on a (relatively) tiny iPad sized screen, so I make a deal with the devil and, if the source is 16:9, I distort the ratio in, for example, Infuse. Accordingly, the actors/scene look marginally taller and thinner than originally intended, but not so much they all look like basketball players (not the other ratio option that merely expands vertically and you lose the sides). I'd be dead against this on a massive tv as you're bastardising the creators vision, but in the context of watching on a 9.7" or 12.9" screen, I'd rather it fill the screen. Films etc aren't really made for such small screens anyway, so it's hardly a culture crime.

On really wide source material I leave the black bars visible as the distortion is ridiculous.

I remember Tarantino saying he was horrified at the thought of anyone watching one of his works on a phone or tablet, heh!

Vaguely related, I'm very happy Apple stick with 4:3 personally. Had 16:9 tablets in the past briefly, everything except video suffers. Not a worthy trade off imo.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Vaguely related, I'm very happy Apple stick with 4:3 personally. Had 16:9 tablets in the past briefly, everything except video suffers. Not a worthy trade off imo.
This pretty much. The aspect ratio is one of the reasons I prefer the iPad over other tablets.

As for the black bars, I actually prefer to have letterboxing (when watching widescreen on fullscreen) or pillarboxing (when watching fullscreen on widescreen) rather than have distorted images. Besides, I usually watch in an almost completely dark room so the black bars kinda just fade into the background. On the upside, watching old series (Buffy, Charmed, etc) on the iPad is pretty great.

That said, I can't wait for the PS4 Neo and Playstation VR. Should be nice for watching HD/UHD videos in bed. :p

Reactions: yegon

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
As someone who gets motion sickness when they use "shakey camera" - the black bars help me. I like them because I know it's widescreen when it has the bars and I prefer wide-screen to cut off full screen. lol.

That said, shakey camera bothers me the MOST about movies today. Makes me sick to my stomach.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I know how bad its is, about losing space on such tiny display but i very like cinema black bars, it makes movies more immersive
Do black bars on iPad make movies like we were in cinema?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
As someone who gets motion sickness when they use "shakey camera" - the black bars help me. I like them because I know it's widescreen when it has the bars and I prefer wide-screen to cut off full screen. lol.

That said, shakey camera bothers me the MOST about movies today. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Ugh, I thought I was the only one! Hate that so very much. Gives me a headache makes me sick to my stomach. Not fun.

As for the black bars, I hardly ever notice them or are bothered by them. They just fade in the background to me.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Do the people hating the black bars have white iPads?
I had one briefly and the bars did seem more noticeable.
All of my other iPads have been black and the bars aren't that much of an issue.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
One of the iPad's greatest strengths is the 4:3 aspect ratio.

So the extra black borders mean nothing to me.

Reactions: rowspaxe

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I only watch movies and TV shows in their original aspect ratio. If that means black bars, then that's just fine. I hate cropping a movie just to fit my screen. I dealt with that for years before LD and DVD became big enough to eliminate pan-and-scan. BLEH.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I see the bars for about 15 seconds, then get immersed into whatever I'm watching and never notice them again. I'm a photographer, so prefer the original aspect to things getting cropped or stretched.

Reactions: friedmud

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Unless I am immersed in a IMAX movie theater, there are always areas in my peripheral vision where there is not a movie image. So it does not bother met.

I once watched a guy on Youtube rant about the size of the bezels on his flatscreen TV, while he had TV placed against a white wall in his apartment....

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hello, i am wondering if black bars bother you when you are watching movies content?
Its huge black bar and many lost space, do you prefer watching on iPad (4:3) or another device in 16/10 or 16/9?

Thanks you
I actually like the black bars. This way, I can have the media controls available on-screen without blocking any part of the show.

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't mind the bars at all. (and I have white iPads) Much better than cropping the content to fit. And as others have noted, a 16x9 screen might be good for movies, but on a tablet it is a pain for everything else.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Not in the least. Ever since I started watching DVDs I appreciated being able to see the entire picture, regardless of format. Do they bother you on a TV set? Would you rather the image was cropped dependent upon aspect ratio?

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Doesn't bother me because I want to see the entire screen. On a white device it should make for a better picture due to contrast ratios too.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
next question, which is the best iPad for watching movie then?
I dont want to go on bigger size than 10 at best
I d prefer iPad Mini format, so i dont go wrong if i buy iPad Mini instead of iPad Air?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.