Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Anyone has both 16:10 and iPad 4:3?
Note sure if it need to switch, my tablet, Xperia Z3 Tablet, suits to my need (watching movies) but for everything else, its perfectible
Tablet is wonderfull, form factor, i dont know, i never owned 4:3 tablet, Android seems to me like a bad OS for tablet (not saying Android is bad os, on smartphone, its almost equal to iOS)
I am afraid of losing advantages from my Z3 Tablet (lighter, 16:10, huge battery life, i got 8/9 hours of watching streaming movies, ~ tablet makes itself a transcoding of 1080p video, waterproof...)

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Black bars are preferable to a distorted image or not seeing all the content.

Most video content is 4:3, 16:9 or 21:9, so you will get black bars on any screen for at least 2 of them, but if most of your use is watching movies, then a 16:9 Android tablet may be your best choice. An iPad is best all round, but it is not perfect for everything.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Black bars are preferable to a distorted image or not seeing all the content.

Most video content is 4:3, 16:9 or 21:9, so you will get black bars on any screen for at least 2 of them, but if most of your use is watching movies, then a 16:9 Android tablet may be your best choice. An iPad is best all round, but it is not perfect for everything.

My XPS 13 laptop has a 16:9 screen with 3200 x 1800 resolution and I do prefer it for video.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Hello, i am wondering if black bars bother you when you are watching movies content?
Its huge black bar and many lost space, do you prefer watching on iPad (4:3) or another device in 16/10 or 16/9?

Thanks you

Just zoom in or fit to screen.

Go into the settings default fit to screen and the problem will go away.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
No, not really. TRY watching a 4:3 movie on a Blackberry Passport with 1:1 Screen it will have MUCH BIGGER BLACK BARS than watching 16:9 movies on iPad 4:3 screen.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Not really, i have a Blackberry Passport witch is 1:1. I used my Blackberry Passport sometimes for watching movies, even the 4:3 Movies can be a bothersome, 16:9 movies is even worst!

With iPad witch is 4:3, the black bars much smaller due to much still wider screen than both 5:4 (old monitors) and 1:1 (like Blackberry Passport)

When you watch a 1 hour movie on iPad you won't even realize the black bars is there as your eyes will easily ignored it.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Well, because of the different aspect ratio of the new 11” iPad Pro, it actually has thinner black bars and video fills up more of it’s screen than the 12.9” iPad Pro.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
No, once you watch enough videos/movies and learn more about aspect ratios (and OAR) you don't even notice black bars. Regardless if the screen is 4:3 or 16:9.

Exactly. There are numerous aspect ratios in use and if displayed properly there will be black bars unless the video and the display device are the same. It is supposed to be that way.

Reactions: flur

manny.j.varela

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
I hate the black bars! I'd rather my TV stretch the screen to fit and disfigure the picture than have paid for a portion of my TV that is sometimes not even used.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I hate the black bars! I'd rather my TV stretch the screen to fit and disfigure the picture than have paid for a portion of my TV that is sometimes not even used.
There isn't going to be a TV that fits all movies and removes all possible black bars EVER.

If you care about the content you are watching in the slightest you would hate with passion foolscreen versions of movies that were not intended to be seen that way. Or butchered 16:9 (1.78:1) versions from movies that were intended to be seen in another aspect ratio (like 1.33:1 or 2.35:1).

This happened with Seinfeld (TV show), and... surprise, the broadcasted widescreen version suffered from this:

Watch the video and you'll get my point.

What you are saying is EXACTLY the same as prefering the dubbed track instead, or a colorized version if the movie was shot in black and white. No matter how appealing these can be they will NEVER replace the original. All these alternate versions are a travesty (this is perhaps the best term I can use to describe them).

In the past there were many articles about aspect ratios, when DVDs were new, now I can't find them... These are a good start, though:

http://monroeworld.com/dvd/screens.php
http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/...ained-part-one.html?action=quote&post_id=1058

All movies made before 1953 were not in widescreen, instead they were using the 1.37:1 "academy ratio", so they fit perfectly in the iPAD (4:3) screen. Like the many TV productions shot until the last decades. But even TV shows that were released in DVDs in fullscreen or broadcasted that way have received Blu-ray versions restored in the OAR, like The X-Files.

And even if the iPAD was using 16:9 (1.78:1) there are MANY movies with different ARs like 1.66:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1 or 2.76:1 (Ben-Hur is the most famous)... The first widescreen movie (The Robe, 1953) used 2.55:1.

If the movie isn't in the same AR as the TV or tablet then black bars will be there. The "solution" to remove them is losing parts of the picture.

In the 1950's the movies were beginning to be shot in Widescreen because cinemas were losing audience to TVs. Widescreen movies were largely introduced in reaction to the popularity of television, in an attempt to give viewers something they couldn't get at home.

Preserving the image as the director wanted you to see allows you to mantain important aspects of the story. Beautiful shots would be lost if the aspect ratio is incorrect, by cropping or stretching the content.

Sometimes the same film will actually employ different aspect ratios, often for effect. "Oz the Great and Powerful" switched from black-and-white 4x3 to color 2.35:1 after the protagonist moved to Oz, for example, and "Life of Pi" was a 16x9 film that included two changes, once during the flying fish scene and another in homage to the cover of the book. And for some films presented in IMAX, like "The Dark Knight" and "Tron: Legacy," only certain portions were shot in the 1.44:1 IMAX format.

More examples can be found here:
https://tadleckman.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/shapeshifiting-films/

Last edited:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There isn't going to be a TV that fits all movies and removes all possible black bars EVER.

If you care about the content you are watching in the slightest you would hate with passion foolscreen versions of movies that were not intended to be seen that way. Or butchered 16:9 (1.78:1) versions from movies that were intended to be seen in another aspect ratio (like 1.33:1 or 2.35:1).

This happened with Seinfeld (TV show), and... surprise, the broadcasted widescreen version suffered from this:

Watch the video and you'll get my point.

What you are saying is EXACTLY the same as prefering the dubbed track instead, or a colorized version if the movie was shot in black and white. No matter how appealing these can be they will NEVER replace the original. All these alternate versions are a travesty (this is perhaps the best term I can use to describe them).

In the past there were many articles about aspect ratios, when DVDs were new, now I can't find them... These are a good start, though:

http://monroeworld.com/dvd/screens.php
http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/...ained-part-one.html?action=quote&post_id=1058

All movies made before 1953 were not in widescreen, instead they were using the 1.37:1 "academy ratio", so they fit perfectly in the iPAD (4:3) screen. Like the many TV productions shot until the last decades. But even TV shows that were released in DVDs in fullscreen or broadcasted that way have received Blu-ray versions restored in the OAR, like The X-Files.

And even if the iPAD was using 16:9 (1.78:1) there are MANY movies with different ARs like 1.66:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1 or 2.76:1 (Ben-Hur is the most famous)... The first widescreen movie (The Robe, 1953) used 2.55:1.

If the movie isn't in the same AR as the TV or tablet then black bars will be there. The "solution" to remove them is losing parts of the picture.

In the 1950's the movies were beginning to be shot in Widescreen because cinemas were losing audience to TVs. Widescreen movies were largely introduced in reaction to the popularity of television, in an attempt to give viewers something they couldn't get at home.

Preserving the image as the director wanted you to see allows you to mantain important aspects of the story. Beautiful shots would be lost if the aspect ratio is incorrect, by cropping or stretching the content.

Sometimes the same film will actually employ different aspect ratios, often for effect. "Oz the Great and Powerful" switched from black-and-white 4x3 to color 2.35:1 after the protagonist moved to Oz, for example, and "Life of Pi" was a 16x9 film that included two changes, once during the flying fish scene and another in homage to the cover of the book. And for some films presented in IMAX, like "The Dark Knight" and "Tron: Legacy," only certain portions were shot in the 1.44:1 IMAX format.

More examples can be found here:
https://tadleckman.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/shapeshifiting-films/

That poster must use zoom to fill the screen, a dumbed-down variation on pan and scan. Note that the post above is his first - and only - post to the forum.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’m used to them now. I also think 4:3 is the best overall aspect ratio for a tablet. 16:9 is better for watching movies but it sucks for anything else as it’s only really usuable in landscape.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m used to them now. I also think 4:3 is the best overall aspect ratio for a tablet. 16:9 is better for watching movies but it sucks for anything else as it’s only really usuable in landscape.

I watch a lot of widescreen movies/shows on my 10.5 iPP and the bars don't bother me, just as they don't on my TV. I remember when I started buying properly formatted DVDs ages ago and my wife was shocked by the bars. But I connected two DVD players to the TV and put in two versions of the same movie (Jeremiah Johnson), one widescreen, the other P&S, and switched between them at the same scenes, showing what was lost with P&S. Made a believer out of her.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2010
Well, because of the different aspect ratio of the new 11” iPad Pro, it actually has thinner black bars and video fills up more of it’s screen than the 12.9” iPad Pro.

Now if all of the video apps would only be updated (I'm talking to you Amazon Prime Video ;) ) we could start to enjoy the new aspect ratio.

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
I don't know what the hubbub is about...depending on what you're watching on your TV, there may be black bars. 4:3. 1.85:1, 2.35:1, there's always bound to be some black bars.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2010
Prime Video updated today and looks great.

Thanks for that. Looking forward to checking it out!

Edit: I don't see an update available yet. Maybe later

Edit 2: I had to delete the app and downloaded it again. There was no indication of any update, but updated it was. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: flur

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
No, they don't bother me. Like the walls above and below my television screen I'm not looking at them; I'm focusing on the movie/show that I'm watching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.