Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nc1584

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
London, UK
I tend to shot around London, particularly street and landscape work. As a result I can feel out of place from the "normal" tourist as it can mean early mornings and late nights with a tripod in tow.

I think though that I am more conscious of the pressure that photographers are getting in London from Police / building security guards / people thinking I'm a terrorist etc....

Ultimately I'm not really bothered about the general public and they can be more of a nuisance than anything else. Maybe I am however overtly aware of the Police et al and therefore feel out of place with them about.

Just my two "pence"...

heesey1010

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2006
Bring your dSLR and a P&S and see how people react to the bigger camera. I've noticed that, generally speaking, people don't mind having their photo taken with a P&S, but they sometimes get camera shy when you pull out a bigger rig. If that's the case, then you can go back to the P&S.

I have to say, I almost disagree with that in a way. While I think one would expect that to be the norm, my friends at least get excited when they see the big camera out and about because they know that there are better pictures to be had (of course all depends on the person BEHIND the camera, but still). So they warm up to the camera a little more. Just my 2 cents.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Well, it is pretty obvious that lots of people, especially young people, want nothing to do with either end of a large DSLR.

I hope somebody really does the EVIL thing correctly (small and full-featured) and sells properly small lenses specific to that design. It would also be smart to forget the scientific instrument look that scares people.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Nope... Just spent a week walking around SF with a 5d2 and 24-105 /Tamron 28-300 attached , went allover , not just tourist places. That being said ... I take a G7 or my M6 film camera(GASP!!) to family and social events simply because I don't want to haul a big camera around.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I don't really care what others think yet at the same time I will respect the boundaries of those around me as it makes life stress free on both sides. If I want to take photos some place I do so as long as it's not a private dwelling or concern, even people. Those that don't mind or become interested in what I'm doing I will talk to and or ask if I can get in there or could they just step aside for a quick moment. Usually that helps and if not I wait and smile and nod at folks walking around me.
I can't say I feel out of place because I for the most part keep my 16-85 lens on but when I put on the 70-300 people around me at times respond out of place. Better them in a kind way than me since I don't do any harm as I'm sure neither do you Dale.
Before 911 it was like wow, check out the size of that person's stuff. Now it's become, what are they up too? The effect has now been placed upon those of us that respect photography and what it means by lumping us in the small group that goes rouge and snaps without care or consequence. Some how it is now in the back of our minds that we are doing something that we shouldn't enjoy or do and as you mentioned, your girlfriend feels like this in a way around you and your gear.
I say to anyone, don't feel odd just enjoy. If someone doesn't enjoy that part of you just remember you don't enjoy the part of them that those feelings and words come from either so it is a two way street. I have never felt odd about setting up my easel and paints and therefore I feel the same about my camera. Of course I don't feel like bringing it everywhere with me but that's just a personal choice and not pressure or doubt.
I look forward to seeing more of your work as I do of others here and elsewhere on the web :)

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I tend to shot around London, particularly street and landscape work. As a result I can feel out of place from the "normal" tourist as it can mean early mornings and late nights with a tripod in tow.

I think though that I am more conscious of the pressure that photographers are getting in London from Police / building security guards / people thinking I'm a terrorist etc....

Ultimately I'm not really bothered about the general public and they can be more of a nuisance than anything else. Maybe I am however overtly aware of the Police et al and therefore feel out of place with them about.

Just my two "pence"...

I find it incredible that the police in London and other places in the UK have become so obsessed with hassling photographers under the terrorist threat. Not only that how many people in the UK have actually been killed in a terrorist attack in the last 10 years? You have more chance of being struck by lightening or winning the lottery.
The brain dead, bored out their brain security guards I can understand. They have absolutely nothing better to do and are always looking for some excuse to justify their existence.
As for the so called Community Police Officers I am under the illusion that they have the brains of monkeys. The "I am in uniform and you will respect me because of it and I can make your life difficult because I am on a power trip" attitude.
These people should be put down.
How many times have judges and the police chiefs sent the message to the idiot boys and women in blue to leave photographers alone, that it is NOT illegal? It really does put a question mark against British society.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I find it incredible that the police in London and other places in the UK have become so obsessed with hassling photographers under the terrorist threat. Not only that how many people in the UK have actually been killed in a terrorist attack in the last 10 years? You have more chance of being struck by lightening or winning the lottery.
The brain dead, bored out their brain security guards I can understand. They have absolutely nothing better to do and are always looking for some excuse to justify their existence.
As for the so called Community Police Officers I am under the illusion that they have the brains of monkeys. The "I am in uniform and you will respect me because of it and I can make your life difficult because I am on a power trip" attitude.
These people should be put down.
How many times have judges and the police chiefs sent the message to the idiot boys and women in blue to leave photographers alone, that it is NOT illegal? It really does put a question mark against British society.

Interesting points. One poster in this forum had a cop/officer show up at his home to question him about taking photos near a military installation of some sort in England. One of the more interesting buildings in Tacoma, Washington is the old train depot downtown. Wonderful domed structure with windows and a lobby decorated with Chihuli glass. One wing is a history museum and the other is a Federal courthouse. I would never be so insane as to set up my tripod across the street from it. That's one POTD you won't see... I once scoped out the open doors of a commuter train and was asked what I was doing. When I said taking pictures, he told me "No you aren't" End of discussion.

Dale

Dale

rekud

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Great Subject

Just being new to the DSLR world, and taking my camera everywhere, I did feel out of place at first. But once I got a little confidence with my shots, and gaining more every time out, it doesn't bother me when I have my stuff with me. The last 3 or 4 times out with the 70-200 I actually talked to other people with their gear and looked at some of the shot they took with their settings and mine as well. Kind of cool actually.

With my kids sports, some people think it's overkill, but when we did a fundraiser, I put together a collage of pictures with some movie clips in between set to music. The action shots looked awesome, then the other parents started to understand the difference.

Others just look and say "owe my what a big lens you have".

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Interesting points. One poster in this forum had a cop/officer show up at his home to question him about taking photos near a military installation of some sort in England. One of the more interesting buildings in Tacoma, Washington is the old train depot downtown. Wonderful domed structure with windows and a lobby decorated with Chihuli glass. One wing is a history museum and the other is a Federal courthouse. I would never be so insane as to set up my tripod across the street from it. That's one POTD you won't see... I once scoped out the open doors of a commuter train and was asked what I was doing. When I said taking pictures, he told me "No you aren't" End of discussion.

Dale

Dale

You could have done so. They may think they have the right to stop you, but they don't. In reality, the law says that any building in public sight can be photographed. When they try to press charges, they would have to come up with something flimsy and bogus, and any lawyer who isn't drunk would easily fight it off. I'd use a film camera just to really throw them off. No memory card to take? What?

I've thought about trying to do something like that, seeing if I get arrested and then basically writing about it. I would then submit it to interested blogs/publications and see what they had to say. We have allowed ourselves to live in such incredible fear that it staggers any rational person's mind.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Realistically, more damage can be done with a cell phone camera and Google earth. The guy with the pro lenses and tripod is not the one to worry about, especially since they are happy to explain what they're doing and show off their photos.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Realistically, more damage can be done with a cell phone camera and Google earth. The guy with the pro lenses and tripod is not the one to worry about, especially since they are happy to explain what they're doing and show off their photos.

That is completely correct. If I wanted to take pictures of buildings and people without anyone seeing me I would just buy the right equipment in the local spy equipment store. It is amazing what you can buy in there LEGALLY.

This article is about a reporter and a photographer from the Norwegian national daily VG who took a photograph from the street of the entrance to the house where Chelsea Clinton was going to get married in the USA. They were both arrested and fined by the police. It even made the UK press.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/jul/23/press-freedom-clinton

This is also a great link to the Guardian and shows how stupid some of the English police are, or should that just be plain ignorant. I sometimes wonder if the only qualification you need to join the force is a valid bus ticket.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/11/snapshot-special-branch-terror-suspect

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Anyone else ever feel the same, or am I just self-conscious?
Dale

Yep!
That's why I retreat to the solitude and emotion of the ocean :eek:
It's so peaceful there.

That said if there's a good shot, I forget about everything else around (which can be a bad thing :p)

What I dislike more is when you're travelling (being a tourist more than a photographer) you feel almost obliged to take photos of things you don't want to...'cos you've the camera.
Others: "Oi, aren't you going to get a pic of that giant concrete Sheep?"
Me: "...fine"

Or those times
Stranger: "Mate, what gear you using there?" (rhetorical question)
Me: "Pentax mate, errr...you know, what the real men use, built like my ute she is" (lol :p)
Stranger: "They still make cameras? Well mate, I shoot Nikon" (Loud deep authoritative Aussie voice)

Or those other times
Stranger: "Hahahah...Whatchya doin' mate? " (Looks confused and amused, holding a beer in each hand)
Me: "Taking photos?"
Stranger: "Keep away from my sheep mate, or the roos'll get ya"

Some of these scenarios may be fully or partially fictional

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Makes me glad I'm not anything but a people and cat/dog/occasional critter shooter. If it doesn't breathe, it probably doesn't interest me.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
One wing is a history museum and the other is a Federal courthouse. I would never be so insane as to set up my tripod across the street from it. That's one POTD you won't see...

How is that insane? If you're taking a picture from a public place and it's not one of the *very few* places in the US you're not allowed to photograph (parts of some military installations and nuclear facilities) then you're allowed to do it. It bothers me that so many photographers willingly give up their rights to ill-informed security guards, police and members of the public.

Paul

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
This article is about a reporter and a photographer from the Norwegian national daily VG who took a photograph from the street of the entrance to the house where Chelsea Clinton was going to get married in the USA. They were both arrested and fined by the police. It even made the UK press.

In general (there are a few exceptions) the police do not fine people, the courts do that. So, the question is what were they arrested for? In the US, you must be told what you're charged with.

This story says trespassing-

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-n...Clinton-gawkers-will-get-arrested-say-NY-cops

It also says their court date is next week, so they can't have been fined by the police as they haven't had their day in court yet.

While it's unusual for public land that has no other restrictions to be under a provision that allows for trespass, it is perfectly possible that the area was restricted by the USSS for security reasons. Typically, the USSS does this prior to any major event being attended to by a protectee. In this case, both a former President and the current Secretary of State were to be in attendance, which would shed some light on a rationale for the arrest if they were indeed on public land rather than private property.

Paul

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I do feel very out of place sometimes. But I kind of enjoy the attention sometimes, because it's crazy that people care that much; but then I pull out my iPad and show them my portfolio and they cease any judgements that may have transpired. I am pretty small, about 5'9", 140LBS with a decent amount of muscle, but I look like I'm 15-16 so people probably wonder what I'm doing with 'such a nice camera.'

This is typically with a 1D, 70-200mm f2.8, Crumpler Industry Disgrace, and a Manfrotto monopod with a pistol grip.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
In general (there are a few exceptions) the police do not fine people, the courts do that. So, the question is what were they arrested for? In the US, you must be told what you're charged with.

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-n...Clinton-gawkers-will-get-arrested-say-NY-cops

It also says their court date is next week, so they can't have been fined by the police as they haven't had their day in court yet.

While it's unusual for public land that has no other restrictions to be under a provision that allows for trespass, it is perfectly possible that the area was restricted by the USSS for security reasons. Typically, the USSS does this prior to any major event being attended to by a protectee. In this case, both a former President and the current Secretary of State were to be in attendance, which would shed some light on a rationale for the arrest if they were indeed on public land rather than private property.

Paul

Hi Paul, here is the link from the newspaper. Unfortunately it is in Norwegian so you'll just have to trust me.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10035021

In it they say they were on public land and the photographer took a picture of the gate as the journalist was heading towards the police guarding the gate because they were doing a story on the security surrounding the wedding.
"En og en ble de plassert i politibilen med beskjed om at de hadde status som arrestert, før de ble bøtelagt for «trespassing» (eiendomskrenkelse).

One by one they were placed in the police car and informed that they had the status as under arrest, before they were 'botelagt' means fined in english for trespassing.

Then they were ordered to appear in court, and told if they did not turn up at court then warrants would be issued.
When they interviewed the sheriff he told them that they were not the first that day who had been charged and that they would not be the last. They believe it was an over-reaction by the police, but they will pay the fine.

Basically the fact is that wondering around the UK and the USA in public areas with a visible camera can lead to you being fined and harassed by the authorities, even if you are a journalist working for the established media. So much for so called democracy. Actually it is very worrying.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007

Paul

You've been "fined" already when you have to skip a day or more of work and show up in court. Even if you win, you've already lost money, not to mention stress and reputation.

As to the original question, I used to be self confident. I've adapted and now don't anymore. I will occasionally take a P&S but that's not common.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Do You Feel Out of Place With Your Gear?

Not really, although big lenses sometimes attract attention. But most times size does not matter (all depends on who is looking).

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi Paul, here is the link from the newspaper. Unfortunately it is in Norwegian so you'll just have to trust me.

Basically the fact is that wondering around the UK and the USA in public areas with a visible camera can lead to you being fined and harassed by the authorities, even if you are a journalist working for the established media. So much for so called democracy. Actually it is very worrying.

Please- "wandering around" is an over-reaction. In this case, it was a specific event- and as I said likely due to special restrictions placed on such events. The USSS has interesting powers, but they don't put up restrictions for no reason and while there have been a couple of recent problems, in general it's nothing like the climate in the UK. I wander all over the US with my camera, including downtown Washington D.C. and I have never once been stopped- and I'm a minority.

Paul

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You've been "fined" already when you have to skip a day or more of work and show up in court. Even if you win, you've already lost money, not to mention stress and reputation.

As to the original question, I used to be self confident. I've adapted and now don't anymore. I will occasionally take a P&S but that's not common.

If you're charged, then there's a likelihood that you actually did the thing in question. If you're a member of the press covering an event, it's likely that you know how to find out where you can and can't go. Note that in none of the interviews have the photographers or their publication denied the charges, just stated that they think it's an overreaction.

If you're a journalist and you honestly think that an event being attended by the sitting Secretary of State and a former POTUS isn't going to have some restrictions and that you're not responsible for finding out those restrictions, then I've got little sympathy for you.

I've got less sympathy for local cops and security guards who think they can make up laws on the spot- but I've pointed a 400mm f/2.8 at DHS employees on the job, hauled cameras out near Reagan National Airport and shot planes taking off, shot at the fuel storage tanks there from the Washington Sailing Marina, and all sorts of things like that and haven't once been approached- when I do, I'll stand up for my rights, but if I'm in the wrong, then I'll take the consequences of that as well.

If I knew the SecState and a former POTUS were going to be somewhere in a couple of days, I'd sure find out where I was and wasn't allowed to go- especially if it were my job to cover it. The usual paparazzi stuff certainly doesn't play with a cabinet member in attendance. If you're not enough of a journalist to realize that, you're likely to be credentialed by mypuppydogblognewsinc.com or something.

Paul

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
What I dislike more is when you're travelling (being a tourist more than a photographer) you feel almost obliged to take photos of things you don't want to...'cos you've the camera.
Others: "Oi, aren't you going to get a pic of that giant concrete Sheep?"
Me: "...fine"

LOLx100

I hate it when this happens! It always happens!

My friend or someone will be like
"Dude, dont you think a photo of ____ would be sick!?!?"
me "Umm, YEAH DUDE!" as I'm tinhking "If it would I would have taken that photo already..." [Pretends to take picture]

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I was in Istanbul, Turkey for the past week and didn't feel all that uncomfortable. Of course I only have a T2i, but I had my 17-55 attached to it most of the time and it's on the bigger side of things.

There was one instance where I had to use the 70-200 in the middle of a lot of people and I did get some attention. However, people made moved out of the way slightly, allowing me to get better photos so I'm happy!

A LOT of tourists had DSLRs, it seemed that everywhere I went there were DSLRs floating around. I think with the rise of popularity of the DSLRs people are becoming more accustomed to them.

npropes

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
I was in Istanbul, Turkey for the past week and didn't feel all that uncomfortable. Of course I only have a T2i, but I had my 17-55 attached to it most of the time and it's on the bigger side of things.

There was one instance where I had to use the 70-200 in the middle of a lot of people and I did get some attention. However, people made moved out of the way slightly, allowing me to get better photos so I'm happy!

A LOT of tourists had DSLRs, it seemed that everywhere I went there were DSLRs floating around. I think with the rise of popularity of the DSLRs people are becoming more accustomed to them.

I completely agree. DSLRs have become much more popular and many people are carrying them around, even non-tourist. The last several parties that I've taken mine to, I wasn't the only person dragging around one.

I live in Atlanta, and I went to the World of Coke (Coca-Cola Museum) a few weeks back and I'd say that about 10% of the people taking pictures had DSLRs. A few even were using external flashes which does make things stand out quite a bit.

When I first got my DSLR, I did feel a little bit self conscious walking around with it around my neck, but as time has gone on, I don't at all feel like people are starting at me that much.

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
Generally I do not feel bothered when I have my DSLR gear, big lenses included. Maybe it's because I am female but even when photographing in the City of London I haven't had any hassle. According to most publications I read, you can photograph virtually any building as long as you are on public property. I even have a lens cloth that lists the rights that the police/PCSO's have re my photographs. I love the fact that big camera = great photos in the minds of most of my friends. That being the case I am going to leave my camera at the event next time, nip off for a drink whilst it takes the necessary photos.

My biggest regret is not having my DSLR with me. If I see anyone with camera gear that I like the look of, I will even start a conversation with the photographer (not very British!!!!). I recently had a great conversation with a photographer in Vienna. Fortunately his english was much better than my german.

The main time I take my P&S (a S90) is if I'm likely to be drinking or I can't be bothered with the weight or its the sort of place where my DSLR might make me a target and/or I will need to run fast. Other than that if I want to take photos, I take my DSLR.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.