Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I don't bother to take photos unless it's with my dslr. I moved up because even the best p+s could not satisfy my desire for IQ. So sticking out like a sore thumb in some situations is the price I pay for getting home with the crisp, clean images I'm after. I just act like I belong and stay focused on the work; rarely does anyone bother me. More often, people ask me to take their picture with my really nice camera (lol they know nothing about it other than that it's a lot bigger than theirs is and looks professional) and email the shots to them. It's actually a great ice-breaker in some situations..

Truth is, I'm a freak. People stare at me even when I'm not using my E-3.:p:eek::cool:

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
A LOT of tourists had DSLRs, it seemed that everywhere I went there were DSLRs floating around. I think with the rise of popularity of the DSLRs people are becoming more accustomed to them.

I agree too - I just came back from a San Francisco photowalk with my brother...and Pier 39 (which is a huge tourist attraction) was covered with tourists with DSLRs. I mean...I felt out of place having a M4/3 set up with me! Felt small and insignificant....lol...

Eventually I realized there was a lot of entry level stuff going around with the random Canon L lens around an old guy's neck. I get more and more thankful about my Gf1 gear allowing me to take inconspicuous pictures on the fly where usually photography is frowned upon (some museums, fancy restaurants where I want to snap the food).

klm0929

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
Solution

I totally get what you're saying about feeling out of place. What I did to overcome that feeling was literally taking my dslr with me everywhere. I had my hand on it or it was on my shoulder. It didn't matter if I was making a quick stop at the bank or going to target to shop.

Before long, It didn't matter to me. And in the process, I managed to find lots of really unique photos.

klm.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don't feel out of place just annoyed when going places. Last night I was going to see Kiss at Jones Beach and brought my d90 with me and they wouldn't allow me in with it because its a professional camera. I had attached a 70-300 so maybe that had something to do with it, but still. Very annoying. P&S cameras don't work at concerts. Either way the concert was awesome but I would like to remember it with some awesome photos.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
What would be interesting would be to take a completely modular camera like a Hasselblad 500CM to a concert with very fast B/W film and shoot with it. You can take it apart and only a very knowledgeable photographer would be aware of it, particularly if you stash it in multiple bags.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I totally get what you're saying about feeling out of place. What I did to overcome that feeling was literally taking my dslr with me everywhere. I had my hand on it or it was on my shoulder. It didn't matter if I was making a quick stop at the bank or going to target to shop.

Before long, It didn't matter to me. And in the process, I managed to find lots of really unique photos.

klm.

Whoa are you serious? DSLR to the bank/target? MMM dunno about that!

MacDiva09

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Does anyone carry their tripod with them as well? :D
(I am thinking about getting a tripod, any suggestions??) TIA

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Does anyone carry their tripod with them as well? :D
(I am thinking about getting a tripod, any suggestions??) TIA

My tripod and monopod are always in my truck. I carry them with me when I'm shooting with a purpose like going to a specific town or place. I have a bag that fits on like a backpack and could pass for a rifle case. All that said and done, it seems to complete the photographer with a capital "P" image. People are more apt to stay out of my way and not ask questions. I got eyed by cops with my monopod a few days after a fatal police shooting, but they were scoping everyone out at the time.

When I go to the local wildlife preserve, I see a lot of big-time birders. They have carbon fiber tripods with dslrs and long L lenses mounted. They carry these rigs over their shoulders.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.