Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
I know in the end the iPhone for me is the better choice, but at times I see phones from Samsung like the Galaxy SII, and I sort of want one just to mess around with. Also it has LTE so yeah.

What about you guys?

Besides the different features Android phones offer, I'm getting a little nervous that everything I have is Apple based and I am a pro-user. If Apple discontinues more of its pro products, especially Mac OS X Server, then I am screwed. I need to learn more about alternatives, such as Windows and Android. The only problem is that I will be miserable using these products.

It's also unfortunate because all of the Mac skills I have (besides programming for iOS of course!), especially in IT are useless "money-wise". No company in enterprise deployed Macs, and they probably won't now with the shape Lion Server is in.

Sorry about going on. In short, yes. I think it's healthy and later will be essential that I get out of the Apple ecosystem with Macs. Not iOS. I'm a student in high school, so I'm OK for now. It's just that I don't want to!

crc4

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
The original question was "Do you ever get a small want for android..." His response was "NOPE..." and named an Android device he used. So doesn;t that mean he did get that small want?

Dude, will you please actually READ the sentance you typed out, then edit it, (so it makes sense)

read this sentence "wouldn't that mean that you did get that want if you had an SGSII"
(sounds like you tossed some random words together, then called it a sentance)?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I am actually in the process of a switch. iOS is satisfactory but theres not much under its original interface. ICS on the other hand is generating buzz and by the youtube videos, it is a smooth and aesthetically pleasing OS that I want to try out.

As a user of both, Ics is very smooth but iOS is just a bit smoother. If that is your ONLY concern I think you'll be mildly disappointed.

Android works differently though. It doesn't prioritize it's smoothness over the task being performed like iOS. I think iOS is a bit more form over function. When scrolling in iOS it's almost like the screen is glued to your finger whereas ICS has this fraction of a second delay you can only see if you are the person using it.

I'd highly recommend just playing with the nexus in the store so you can feel its smoothness. The difference is nothing that bothers me however like I said if it's your only concern you might not like it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Dude, will you please actually READ the sentance you typed out, then edit it, (so it makes sense)

read this sentence "wouldn't that mean that you did get that want if you had an SGSII"
(sounds like you tossed some random words together, then called it a sentance)?

This make complete sense to me. He got the "want" for an android device out of his system by getting an Android device.

You really couldn't comprehend that?

EazyWeazy3

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I got that "want" last year. Had every model of iphone and wanted something different. I loved the iphone. It was great. But once I got my international GS II...boy did I fall out of love with the iphone quick.

Android isn't for everyone. The same way iphone and ios isn't for everyone.

After having my S II and now the Note, I am truly spoiled by the screens. They are amazing. When I hold my sister's iphone I literally laugh at the size of it. It is tiny. Obviously 5.3 is big, but it's not as huge as people make it out to be. It is perfect and fits in every single pair of shorts, sweats, jeans that I own without any problems. I do agree that 4.3-4.5 is perfect for a screen size.

I don't know what I'm saying really. I guess I had the want and made the switch and absolutely loved my S II and now my Note.

It would take a few things for me to go back to iphone. LTE, 4.5 inch screen, and a rehaul of the os. MicroSD would be ideal also. Obviously the rehaul of the os and MicroSD will never happen, but I see no reason why apple shouldn't have a 4 inch screen or bigger. LTE is a must.

-- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I got that "want" last year. Had every model of iphone and wanted something different. I loved the iphone. It was great. But once I got my international GS II...boy did I fall out of love with the iphone quick.

Android isn't for everyone. The same way iphone and ios isn't for everyone.

After having my S II and now the Note, I am truly spoiled by the screens. They are amazing. When I hold my sister's iphone I literally laugh at the size of it. It is tiny. Obviously 5.3 is big, but it's not as huge as people make it out to be. It is perfect and fits in every single pair of shorts, sweats, jeans that I own without any problems. I do agree that 4.3-4.5 is perfect for a screen size.

I don't know what I'm saying really. I guess I had the want and made the switch and absolutely loved my S II and now my Note.

It would take a few things for me to go back to iphone. LTE, 4.5 inch screen, and a rehaul of the os. MicroSD would be ideal also. Obviously the rehaul of the os and MicroSD will never happen, but I see no reason why apple shouldn't have a 4 inch screen or bigger. LTE is a must.

-- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

LTE will happen for sure, it's just whether it will happen this year that is the question. The Note is the first LTE phone that really has great battery life and that is because, since its size permits it, the battery in the device is massive. People can argue speed vs battery all day long, but I think it is pretty obvious that Apple isn't going to put LTE on the iPhone if it will only get 6-8 hours or so of life on moderate use like a lot of the smaller Android phones get.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
LTE will happen for sure, it's just whether it will happen this year that is the question. The Note is the first LTE phone that really has great battery life and that is because, since its size permits it, the battery in the device is massive. People can argue speed vs battery all day long, but I think it is pretty obvious that Apple isn't going to put LTE on the iPhone if it will only get 6-8 hours or so of life on moderate use like a lot of the smaller Android phones get.
The first??? Not exactly.

The Skyrocket gets the same talk/standby time as the Note.

Both will last an entire day, if not a longer, under normal use before needing a recharge.

They use the same GPU/CPU Radio combination.
The real difference is the screen size and the Wacom digitizer for the S-pen. The Note's slightly larger battery is needed for the extra screen real estate and Wacom components.

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Before I got my iPhone, I wanted an Android phone, got it, took it back within 30 days and eventually ended up with an iPhone 4S.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Don't forget the Razr MAXX with its huge battery. I think it gets better battery life on LTE than either the SkyRocker or the Note. Still pretty thin, too.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I know down here in FL, Verizon has LTE service almost everywhere. Problem is even if your in a good area it's still spotty as hell, people have issues of being connected then dropped signal then back and forth sometimes etc. And even speeds are all over, 1 second you can be at 30+ and the next slower then hspa+ lol. I'd take at&t's stable hspa+ speeds any day. LTE is great when not spotty and if caught at the right times, but you don't get those speeds 24/7. At least not anywhere I've been in FL (live in South FL). But in my use of Verizon LTE and friends it's rarely ever over 10-15 down.

I love the speeds of LTE when it's working 100%, but until they make it stable and less of a draw on battery, I'm perfectly fine with hspa+ speeds which I can get up to 7-9 down and lately seems to hover around 3-5 on average which is still more than enough on a mobile device.

Sounds like you're in an area where AT&T owns both sides of CLR, so Verizon is stuck on PCS, and they don't have LTE on all their towers yet, so both are spotty.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
The one phone running Android that I would consider would be the newest Galaxy S3. I'm actually loving the sound of that ceramic casing. That sounds so much nicer than the typical plastic **** that Samsung makes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.