Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case?

• Yes

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Yes, i would never go without one. My 8 Plus is so fragile because of the glass back. I love the Apple Leather Case for it.

I had no case on my 5s and 6s. But now that the glass on the rear is back, it needs one.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
I have used a case since the iPhone X. Why? Glass back.

Got a 8+ on launch day. At the time I never used a case. Somehow I developed a small hairline crack on the back glass. Phone was never dropped. Nothing ever bumped into it. Apple replaced it. Sold that when the X came out. Carried the X naked. Somehow developed a small hairline crack in it. Same story as before. nothing ever bumped into it. Never dropped it. Always set the phones down carefully. Probably too carefully. Apple replaced that as well. Ever since that started using cases and it never happened again. If it was something I did to cause the cracks, I will honestly say it’s ridiculous because I baby my phones. Especially when I don’t have cases on them. One of the reasons I like going naked is because I’m more careful with the phone.

Reactions: Lucas284

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
I use one ever since I watched my partner drop her 6 Plus and seen the state of the screen once she picked it up off the concrete, so since then I use a case and glass screen protector.

Adam.

Reactions: Ides of March

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Unfortunately yes on my 11 Pro Max... if it wasn't so slippery I would go caseless for sure.

Reactions: Dwood1970

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Do you use a case? If so, why?

For me personally I think it ruins the intended design and feel in the hand.

I too, think any case, ever a clear one makes the phone less good looking.

But I also KNOW I would be bothered a lot if my phone has cracks or scratches. So I chose to use a case that makes it a *little* less good-looking, but will mostly prevent it from getting VERY bad-looking.

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I switch between my Apple leather case and my Spigen clear case depending on what I'm doing, the latter offers more protection but the former looks better.

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
If a 1000 dollars isn't an investment, I do not know what one is. I certainly can't afford to replace it, if it breaks.

I think they mean that a phone isn’t really an investment because it doesn’t appreciate in value or return some kind of dividend like real estate or investing in stocks. So it’s not really an ‘investment’ in the purest sense of the word.

That’s not to say that you shouldn’t protect your purchase; it’s just a vocabulary nitpick.

Reactions: wwooden and Plett

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
I have used a case since the iPhone X. Why? Glass back.

Got a 8+ on launch day. At the time I never used a case. Somehow I developed a small hairline crack on the back glass. Phone was never dropped. Nothing ever bumped into it. Apple replaced it. Sold that when the X came out. Carried the X naked. Somehow developed a small hairline crack in it. Same story as before. nothing ever bumped into it. Never dropped it. Always set the phones down carefully. Probably too carefully. Apple replaced that as well. Ever since that started using cases and it never happened again. If it was something I did to cause the cracks, I will honestly say it’s ridiculous because I baby my phones. Especially when I don’t have cases on them. One of the reasons I like going naked is because I’m more careful with the phone.
Always love these ghost stories. Cracks don't just magically appear out of nowhere.

Openworld1234

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2019
I used a outer box rugged case reason being.
I have a perfect iPhone no yellow screen or nicks and I exercise alot outdoors better than safe than sorry and no applecare.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Used my XR naked, but it was too nerve-wrecking. iPhone 7 or older; no problem. Glass back; too expensive to replace. XS with a Rhinoshield bumper case for now.

With rumors of the iPhone 12 getting the iPhone 4 sandwich design, I hope it also gets the easy-to-replace back plate.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Got an Otter Box for my 11 as I can’t grip the phone by itself without worrying about a drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.