Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case?

• Yes

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 27.5%

• Total voters

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I had a temporary case waiting for my iPhone 11 Pro Max, because the case I actually planned on using was not yet available. It is now here and I’m pleased with it. The case is by YONGWX and is sold on Amazon. It has tempered glass front and back and fits the iPhone perfectly, showing it off perfectly while affording great protection. The front and back of the case is held together by small powerful magnets, which makes removing the phone from the case very easy.

Why a case? I’m on the Apple “iPhone a year” plan so I look at it as if I’m renting the phone. Therefore I want to keep it in as good a condition as possible.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
Never have used a case since the inception of the iPhone. Why would I take a shower with a raincoat on? ??

Reactions: eyoungren

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't, but I did order a glass back protector from Amazon. I am waiting for the right clear case that is minimalist. The one I used on my X was the Elago Slim Fit 2 clear, and it was awesome. They don't make it for the 11 Pro yet

Edit: Placed an order for the Case-Mate barely there, clear. I have used these since that free one with the iPhone 4 fiasco up to about the iPhone 5, so I trust it'll look good on the iPhone 11 Pro.

Last edited:

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Clear case with a wallet holder attached behind it with that pop socket that came with the wallet attachment. Both purchased at Best Buy and is the perfect case for me as I always forget my wallet at home. The clear case let’s the color of the iPhone shine because the silver is absolutely beautiful compared to previous shades of silver on older iPhones.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn’t use my $1000+ without a case, of course! Frankly, I’m currently a bit more in love with my Apple saddle brown leather case than the actual iPhone itself!

BB3F4C92-8401-4F5F-995A-E859490B4097.jpeg

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Way too much money to not have a case. I drop my phone for five times a year and two or three of those if I didn’t have a case I would have cracked something.

I use spigen slim cs armor So I can carry around my drivers license and credit card with my phone, I was able to shed my wallet. I have all my store loyalty card saved in my iPhone Wallet with u2pass.

Never can use another case as I don’t want to carry my wallet anymore. I never forget my wallet at home anymore either cause my phone is always with me.

Last edited:

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Always love these ghost stories. Cracks don't just magically appear out of nowhere.
Hahahahaha haha. Always love these forum know everything about anything and they are never wrong people.

Unfortunately, this one doesn’t know how to read. Never did I say it just “magically appeared out of no where”. I even said if it was something I caused then it was ridiculous. You don’t know everything, and you don’t know how I treat my phones. And I have no reason to lie about an issue I had that has been resolved for 2 years now, to a bunch of people I don’t and never will know.

Reactions: GrimmsGirl

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Camera bump + I want my phone to lay flat on my desk

Hated cases back when this wasn't a problem. Still don't love them but the alternative is worse. So I guess I'm a case person now.

Reactions: m0sher

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
11 Pro Max, use Apple Leather Case. Have done so last five iPhones. Have tried clear, bumpers, and several other case manufacturers. Always come back to Apple Leather. Reasons as follows:

1. Like larger phones, grip with leather case seems best for me. Leather feels good in hand.

2. Rarely drop the phone, but when I do, Apple Leather has always saved the day.

3. Phone lays flat, cameras are not contacting surfaces, no wobble.

4. Laying face down, the leather lip keeps front face screen from rubbing surface.

5. Leather takes on a fine looking patina over time. Especially the tan color. Oils in hand give rich darker color. Any marks or imperfections add character, uniqueness.

6. Been using a magnetic car mount which requires a steel plate on back of phone. I just slip plate between phone and case. No need to stick onto phone and it’s hidden.

Reactions: BoricuaHec01

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah yes, another case/caseless thread.

I don't use cases, don't like them. So far my iPhone 6s+ is 4 years old and hasn't had scratches or a screen crack.

I'll save everyone else in this thread my usual spiel about not using a case this time around though.

Aside from LED Notification lights, camera bump and notch/no notch, this topic has been done endlessly around here.

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I don't, but I did order a glass back protector from Amazon. I am waiting for the right clear case that is minimalist. The one I used on my X was the Elago Slim Fit 2 clear, and it was awesome. They don't make it for the 11 Pro yet

Edit: Placed an order for the Case-Mate barely there, clear. I have used these since that free one with the iPhone 4 fiasco up to about the iPhone 5, so I trust it'll look good on the iPhone 11 Pro.

Totallee makes a super thin clear case too that’s really nice.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Nope. I have opposable thumbs and I look after my possessions. My 8 Plus doesn’t have a single mark anywhere on it after more than two years. It’s not difficult. I just don’t drop it, throw it on tables or put it in pockets with keys and coins.

Obviously I would probably re-evaluate my position if I used my phone in harsh environments such as a building site or similar.

Last edited:

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I’m not sure cases really protect phones very much. Every time I notice someone has a cracked screen, it is in a case. My co-worker has an iPhone 8 with a shattered back, which was in a case ever since she got it. My wife dropped her phone while in a case and broke the front. Most of my daughters friends have cracked their phones one way or another while in a case.
For now, I am using Apple leather, but I’m sure it will come off (as it usually does) after the phone seems less new.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m not sure cases really protect phones very much. Every time I notice someone has a cracked screen, it is in a case. My co-worker has an iPhone 8 with a shattered back, which was in a case ever since she got it. My wife dropped her phone while in a case and broke the front. Most of my daughters friends have cracked their phones one way or another while in a case.
For now, I am using Apple leather, but I’m sure it will come off (as it usually does) after the phone seems less new.
I attribute this to a false sense of security that cases may provide. Some (not all) case users substitute a case for due regard, choosing to depend on the case to protect them from their lack of attention. It's just easier to do that then actually having to watch out for how you treat your device.

Over the course of many case/caseless threads here in MR, this theory of mine has been confirmed by a few case users.

A lot of case users take great care and baby their phones, I do not deny that or argue against it. But there is a certain element out there who seem to believe that they can abuse their device or not pay any attention to what they are doing because their case is protecting the device.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I attribute this to a false sense of security that cases may provide. Some (not all) case users substitute a case for due regard, choosing to depend on the case to protect them from their lack of attention. It's just easier to do that then actually having to watch out for how you treat your device.

Over the course of many case/caseless threads here in MR, this theory of mine has been confirmed by a few case users.

A lot of case users take great care and baby their phones, I do not deny that or argue against it. But there is a certain element out there who seem to believe that they can abuse their device or not pay any attention to what they are doing because their case is protecting the device.
I come to think cases give you basic protection, such as scratch protection, not let’s throw it off a building crap that people do. on the other hand, it could also be a fashion thing. I wanted to go caseless, I really did, but I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s just too slippery, and I am more scared of minor bumps etc that happen, vs. chucking it off of a building.

Reactions: eyoungren

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
The phones too expensive to use without.

But putting it in a cheap looking case is just sacrilege.

Im careful, most of us are but accidents happen.

Reactions: phillytim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.