Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriz_r

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Hi Chriz,

Are you using this Visiontek?

Yes i am still using it. Are you gettin any video signal at all? Or better yet could you tell me what problem are you actually experiencing with the card so we can help diagnose more accurately?

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
We all have slightly different cards and I'm not sure what you guys are seeing, but my Mac Pro boots to desktop even without any mods at all with my MSI RX480. The interface is laggy and there is tearing before I do the kext mod, but I do get a normal image.

If you don't get any signal I'd say look at the basics: is the card seated properly? Do the cables work for sure? Is the monitor configured correctly for ports?

This would be especially important if you still haven't got any image from the card since the beginning...

Reactions: itdk92 and chriz_r

chriz_r

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Thanks for the input guys. I've triple checked everything. If games are running on max settings in Boot Camp I don't think there is a problem with the setup. I reinstalled 10.12.1 on a fresh partition last night and still no luck. Card just refuses to work at all on my 4,1>5,1.

So.... you could run boot camp but I still don't know what that actual problem is on OS X. Seems like it starts up and has video feed, now are you having lagging issues? Tearing? Inverted colors? Is sip disabled? Did you repair next permissions? Does it say metal not supported?

faelmtchu

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2017
Yeah I've been using the 480's and they 'work' but not sure how much they really work. Using fcpx 10.3 / 10.2.3 and rendering footage with gaussian blurs and color corrections and other effects, im only getting a few fps, but as it seems to me, the gpu processors themselves are not even budging and only the memory gets used up. Is that the norm?

Ps. The CPU Usage is because of the proxy media transcoding, but it looks to me also that im only really getting 75%/25% between physical cores and logical core usage. Again, i dont have a baseline to compare it to so im hoping others with fully working systems and on Mac Certified gpus will be so kind as to chime in with their experiences on utilization.

Im on my way to Microcenter to pick up their last stock of gigabyte 390x, i think its for $240 so i'm gonna try it on one of my hackintosh and see what kind of performance I get. My plan for the 480 was to just buy them now and hope for the best with support but current situation dictates me to try other options. Im only using single UW 34" monitor so hopefully i dont have any issues. The only thing i noticed so far with my dual 480 setup is that when setting them up, sometimes only hdmi works and then sometimes only DP works. But when it boots and shows the login screen, i haven had any issues otherwise.

To be honest, i tested the 480s and im getting confusing results. I tried single and dual setups, and im scrathing my head, hopefully i just have some settings to tweak on my machine.

cMP 5,1
Dual 2.4GHz
64GB RAM
SSD system drive

Results:
Dual RX 480 = 19 seconds
Single RX 480 = 22 seconds

im using visiontek reference 480s clocked at 1333MHz

Above are the geekbench gpu scores for each cards at slots 1 and 2 respectively.

Yeah I also have my gaming rig and thinking of just transferring the 480s over to them as well. Btw thanks theitsage for your detailed notes and tutorial regarding the rx 480 running on mac pros. I've always been hesitant to get in the mac pro systems and stuck to my buggy unreliable hackintoshes but since i've read your thread and saw how much better support has been on macOS was, it got me off the fence and in the span of a month i now have two mac pros LOL

I really appreciate everyone's input and help, and all the time and dedication that this community has put towards educating and sharing their experiences with these machines. Please keep them coming, as there are a lot more people out there that are just silently reading and learning (like i was for the past years) who are very grateful for all of you!
[doublepost=1491372229][/doublepost]Hey guys,
I've been trying to get my hackintosh to work with 2x RX480, but I haven't succeed yet. It works with single RX480 but the moment I place the second card it gives me a black screen after boot loader. Where you able to get your machine to run 2x RX480s?

Reactions: framzy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.