Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Apologizes, I wasn't sure how to properly identify the tube v2.

nnMP seems fine to me until we have an official identifier like 6,2 or 7,1 (or a year like 2016). People will know what you mean. I don't think the letter "n" was ever meant negatively.

nMP - new or nano
cMP - classic or cheesegrater

MP - all of the above.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012

Sounds cool, how do you go about that then?

(Of course I know what shedding tears is, but 'shedding IN tears' sounds intriguing.)

I imagine myself being in tears.

Sounds like a jumble of BEING in tears and shedding tears.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
nnMP seems fine to me until we have an official identifier like 6,2 or 7,1 (or a year like 2016). People will know what you mean. I don't think the letter "n" was ever meant negatively.

nMP - new or nano
cMP - classic or cheesegrater

MP - all of the above.

or nMp = negative MP / -MP

(just joking:):))

for sure this n thing will have to stop till 2021 when we will have the third iteration , if at all.

A good thing with the slow updates is that in 8 years, from the first edition, will have just a nnnMP, not a nnnnnnnnMP.

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
As a collector of power bricks I'm always looking for a good reason to add more external boxes and cables to my desk. Hope they make the RAM external in the next round!
Yeah and I bet many mac users will say its the new paridime! yeah right hehe

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Umm... it will be very sad when (if) a 7,1 is released.. My prediction:

Everyone with a 6,1 + eGPU will have the latest GPU technology (they will be upgrading GPUs as available).
The 7,1 will be released by Apple, but the eGPU support will be purposefully removed so 7,1 buyers (suckers) will be forced to pay for Apple's highest GPU upgrade which will be already one (+) year old GPU technology.

You know my prediction will come true admit it. The only possible thing I may have wrong is that Apple will ever release a 7,1... 912 days and counting - certainly is a strong statement (of fail)...

TB2 doesn't officially support eGPU. TB3 officially supports it. See the specification. It explicitly states "external graphics", something which wasn't mentioned in the earlier versions. TB2 didn't even really add bandwidth. I think it just added channel bonding for a half duplex mode, although I could be wrong. It seems very unlikely that 6,1 mac pro users would have any kind of official support for this, because it uses TB2 rather than TB3. There's no reason to ship a 7,1 without TB3 at this point. With one refresh every 3 years, it makes very little sense for Apple to leave out a hardware feature like that.

Reactions: Hank Carter

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
So is the native eGPU support in Sierra because apple is making an abomination of a TB display with a built in MOBILE Gpu nobody wants that will be be outdated 2 yrs after purchase, even though the monitor itself is probably good for another 5? can't wait for it to cost $2000 to upgrade a gpu.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So is the native eGPU support in Sierra because apple is making an abomination of a TB display with a built in MOBILE Gpu nobody wants that will be be outdated 2 yrs after purchase, even though the monitor itself is probably good for another 5? can't wait for it to cost $2000 to upgrade a gpu.

Even though it's true. the eGPU may be only to use to drive the pixels, but didn't to anything on calculation / 3D job. So, it can be never outdated. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.